U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 01:04 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,376,570 times

Advertisements

A lot of us would LOVE a high-speed train to Savannah :-)

I wonder why the map stopped one line in Albany and didn't connect to Valdosta.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 02:00 AM

5,334 posts, read 10,770,992 times
There is still a program as part of the GDOT. I'm not sure how the T-SPLOST defeat is going to impact the program and its plans. The plans include 7 commuter lines that run outward from the MMPT.

There is also this NPO that supports the program:

Georgians For Passenger Rail

Old 08-06-2012, 02:54 AM

1,499 posts, read 1,791,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Ouch! Just one of the reasons DW and I will be heading to another city with no clue about mass transit(fortunately with 1/3 the population)...Austin, TX.

Oh...and good luck with that Beltline thingy!
It won't be 1/3 for long. And what do you mean good luck? That's getting built (with the TAD) whether people like it or not! Why don't people get that???

Old 08-06-2012, 08:11 AM

23,728 posts, read 22,622,973 times
Quote:
They implemented commuter rails years ago (with a corresponding reduction in freeway traffic) and they have an ever expanding metro/subway system that uses heavy rail (with some of the future lines planned as light rail).
LA has only 1 HRT. Most of the system is LRT and BRT. They do not use fare gates either, wtf?

Old 08-06-2012, 09:54 AM

5,242 posts, read 5,738,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
bear in mind that most (probably all) of the track shown on that map is single freight line, and it's all set up for diesel while most local commuter rail is electric.
In order for commuter rail to be effective, you need two tracks for bi-directional traffic, and it's very difficult to "share" lines with freight systems.
And once we get all of these commuters into a station in Atlanta, what do we do with them from there???
Commuter rail absolutely does not have to be electrified. That is only the case in NYC, a line in Chicago, and some lines in Philly. Most are Diesel. Atlanta would likely never have electrified commuter rail, it is a waste of money.

Bi-directional traffic is unnecessary, especially at first. Starting off, most commuter rail lines in Atlanta would likely be rush hour traffic only. Meaning they go into the city in the morning, go out in the evening. You can easily build two way capacity by double tracking small portions of track here and there. Trains running in the opposite direction basically pull over and let the other train pass.

The last point is the biggest problem, but it is being worked on. The beltline adds last mile accessibility for transit in Atlanta. Maybe a resurrected Clifton Corridor?

Old 08-06-2012, 10:28 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,771,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post

I just sat at a luncheon yesterday where the speaker from the Atlanta Metro Chamber of Commerce has said that we've begun to lose potential companies relocating to new cities/states to other areas because of our transportation issues- we recently lost a huge corporate HQ to Richmond, VA of all places. Eventually the powers that be will start to get the picture when they hear that on a regular basis.
Some people still don't wana believe. I don't get it.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:48 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,398,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
Some people still don't wana believe. I don't get it.
I'm not sure what it's going to take either. Most of my family and friends are horrified by the notion of coming to Atlanta. The traffic situation perceived or otherwise is becoming a major barrier. When you factor in school systems imploding all over the place the potential for new growth is getting slimmer.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:32 AM

969 posts, read 1,860,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
I'm not sure what it's going to take either. Most of my family and friends are horrified by the notion of coming to Atlanta. The traffic situation perceived or otherwise is becoming a major barrier. When you factor in school systems imploding all over the place the potential for new growth is getting slimmer.
I think that is what some of this is about though... maybe a lot of people don't want Atlanta to grow anymore or get any bigger than it already is... and major infrastructure improvements will only equal more people... I wonder if there is some underlying sentiment like this in the area? The problem with that is you then make the area an undesirable place to live and do business (which negatively affects property values and upward mobility for people already here), and things start to go downhill like Detroit... either you grow or you stagnate and decline.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:51 AM

31,672 posts, read 33,578,844 times
I know I sound like a broken record on this, but so much of the decision process about location, especially for corporations, is about perception and reputation. You can argue all day long that Atlanta traffic really isn't that bad or that the schools are better than you think. You can tell people till you're blue in the face that Atlanta is actually a forward-thinking city, that crime isn't a problem, that the transportation system is getting better all the time. You can try to convince people that it really isn't all that much hotter here and that we aren't all either rappers or rednecks driving around in pickups with Confederate flags on the back.

But it is VERY hard to overcome stereotyped impressions. And because of the confirmation bias, people tend to hear only the news that reinforces what they already "know."

That's why things like the overwhelming rejection of the transportation bill and the school cheating scandal hurt us so much. We may know that there's another side to the story, but outside decision makers don't care. They've got plenty of other equally good options, so why mess around with a place where the bloom is off the rose?

Old 08-06-2012, 12:10 PM

5,334 posts, read 10,770,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I know I sound like a broken record on this, but so much of the decision process about location, especially for corporations, is about perception and reputation. You can argue all day long that Atlanta traffic really isn't that bad or that the schools are better than you think. You can tell people till you're blue in the face that Atlanta is actually a forward-thinking city, that crime isn't a problem, that the transportation system is getting better all the time. You can try to convince people that it really isn't all that much hotter here and that we aren't all either rappers or rednecks driving around in pickups with Confederate flags on the back.

But it is VERY hard to overcome stereotyped impressions. And because of the confirmation bias, people tend to hear only the news that reinforces what they already "know."

That's why things like the overwhelming rejection of the transportation bill and the school cheating scandal hurt us so much. We may know that there's another side to the story, but outside decision makers don't care. They've got plenty of other equally good options, so why mess around with a place where the bloom is off the rose?
That's a good point. I have a negative perception of Atlanta when I'm away from it, just from reading the AJC articles and these threads (though the latter is more opinion-based and should be taken with a grain of salt). I keep telling myself I'm never moving back to Atlanta, but when I get off the plane at Hartsfield-Jackson I realize its not as bad as I've been perceiving it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta