U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 05:46 PM

16,041 posts, read 26,659,944 times

Advertisements

Check this website out:

GRPP Splash Page

Click on "Current Activity" in the left-hand column. Then scroll down to the bottom and click on "Georgia Rail Passenger Map"

Thoughts? Opinions?

We could really get things "moving" in Metro Atlanta and Georgia...and it wouldn't be that difficult.

Now, compare the "Georgia Rail Passenger Map" with the map on this website (this map shows all of the rail corridors in Georgia...active and inactive):

http://www.dot.state.ga.us/dot/plan-prog/intermodal/rail/Documents/PDF/Georgia_Rail_Map_2004.PDF (broken link)

See all of the possibilities? We really do not have an excuse as a metro area or state. A commuter rail system could be implemented in a few years. A total rail system could be implemented in a few more.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 06:07 PM

9,124 posts, read 34,988,154 times
While again, I applaud your optimism, bear in mind that most (probably all) of the track shown on that map is single freight line, and it's all set up for diesel while most local commuter rail is electric. In order for commuter rail to be effective, you need two tracks for bi-directional traffic, and it's very difficult to "share" lines with freight systems. And once we get all of these commuters into a station in Atlanta, what do we do with them from there???

I just sat at a luncheon yesterday where the speaker from the Atlanta Metro Chamber of Commerce has said that we've begun to lose potential companies relocating to new cities/states to other areas because of our transportation issues- we recently lost a huge corporate HQ to Richmond, VA of all places. Eventually the powers that be will start to get the picture when they hear that on a regular basis.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
While again, I applaud your optimism, bear in mind that most (probably all) of the track shown on that map is single freight line, and it's all set up for diesel while most local commuter rail is electric. In order for commuter rail to be effective, you need two tracks for bi-directional traffic, and it's very difficult to "share" lines with freight systems. And once we get all of these commuters into a station in Atlanta, what do we do with them from there???

I just sat at a luncheon yesterday where the speaker from the Atlanta Metro Chamber of Commerce has said that we've begun to lose potential companies relocating to new cities/states to other areas because of our transportation issues- we recently lost a huge corporate HQ to Richmond, VA of all places. Eventually the powers that be will start to get the picture when they hear that on a regular basis.
Yep, yep...the decline has already begun. We'll see what happens. (Richmond, Virginia??? They've got to wake up!)

Old 01-18-2008, 06:15 PM

9,124 posts, read 34,988,154 times
[quote=aries4118;2555715]Yep, yep...the decline has already begun. We'll see what happens. (Richmond, Virginia??? They've got to wake up!)[/QUOTE]

I know- talk about gross! And it wasn't like Richmond and Atlanta were on some long list of potential towns- it was literally between those two towns only, and we lost- now that's sad.........

Old 01-18-2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post

The problem with Atlanta thinking is that people think transit has to be able to serve every single commuter for every single commute. If we start with the commuter rail system, for example, it would still make a huge dent in the traffic volume (plus give people options...which is really the whole point). Eventually with a total system (commuter rail, heavy rail, light rail, streetcars, trolleys, express buses, city/local buses, taxis, bicycle lanes, walking) most of the metro area could be served. People then will have to decide where to live (move if they have to) based on where they work/play/etc.

Retrofitting Metro Atlanta (RfMA).

Old 01-18-2008, 06:21 PM

[quote=BobKovacs;2555735]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Yep, yep...the decline has already begun. We'll see what happens. (Richmond, Virginia??? They've got to wake up!)[/QUOTE]

I know- talk about gross! And it wasn't like Richmond and Atlanta were on some long list of potential towns- it was literally between those two towns only, and we lost- now that's sad.........

Do you know the name of the company that we lost?

Old 01-18-2008, 08:27 PM

9,191 posts, read 32,452,928 times
I honestly do not see commuter rail going anywhere in this region for at least 10 or more years. People here - even people who seem to move here from areas that have had commuter rail, seem to quickly come car-dependant and simply don't get into the transit game much.

I do think there is a need for an Athens-to-Atlanta route NOW. Also, while I know they've tried and failed due to funding, I do think a high speed rail line between Atlanta and Chattanooga would do well, too. They were gun-hoe about that one for a while but it fizzled out.

While it's not the most cost effective, I honestly think you stand a better chance of just seeing MARTA expand further Northward and Northeast, and perhaps Eastbound. A few stations further in each direction, with park and ride lots to ferry in surburban commuters more than it does now. Then maybe - MAYBE a spur line here or there that goes into Cobb if it's ever approved, or spur lines that connect lines without having to go to Five Points to switch trains, etc. Even with those, you're talking 10-20 years.

I think we simply do have to face the fact that Atlanta really has become the "L.A. of the East", and we're not going to see massive amounts of alternative commuting outside of the car around here. It might prove over time that efforts will be better spent to simply push for alternative fuel vehicles to become mandatory to cut down the smog around the city and metro, rather than alternative transportation. We'll still have the traffic, but at least we'll have much cleaner air.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:39 PM

98 posts, read 455,338 times
The bottom left hand corner of the website says it all:

Last Modified:
March 30, 2006

Old 01-18-2008, 09:25 PM

8,971 posts, read 16,124,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_atlanta View Post
The bottom left hand corner of the website says it all:

Last Modified:
March 30, 2006
Ouch! Just one of the reasons DW and I will be heading to another city with no clue about mass transit(fortunately with 1/3 the population)...Austin, TX.

Oh...and good luck with that Beltline thingy!

Old 01-18-2008, 10:34 PM

Default Los Angeles...lots of mass transit progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I honestly do not see commuter rail going anywhere in this region for at least 10 or more years. People here - even people who seem to move here from areas that have had commuter rail, seem to quickly come car-dependant and simply don't get into the transit game much.

I do think there is a need for an Athens-to-Atlanta route NOW. Also, while I know they've tried and failed due to funding, I do think a high speed rail line between Atlanta and Chattanooga would do well, too. They were gun-hoe about that one for a while but it fizzled out.

While it's not the most cost effective, I honestly think you stand a better chance of just seeing MARTA expand further Northward and Northeast, and perhaps Eastbound. A few stations further in each direction, with park and ride lots to ferry in surburban commuters more than it does now. Then maybe - MAYBE a spur line here or there that goes into Cobb if it's ever approved, or spur lines that connect lines without having to go to Five Points to switch trains, etc. Even with those, you're talking 10-20 years.

I think we simply do have to face the fact that Atlanta really has become the "L.A. of the East", and we're not going to see massive amounts of alternative commuting outside of the car around here. It might prove over time that efforts will be better spent to simply push for alternative fuel vehicles to become mandatory to cut down the smog around the city and metro, rather than alternative transportation. We'll still have the traffic, but at least we'll have much cleaner air.

Actually, the supposed sprawl capital, Los Angeles, is making great progress with their mass transit. They implemented commuter rails years ago (with a corresponding reduction in freeway traffic) and they have an ever expanding metro/subway system that uses heavy rail (with some of the future lines planned as light rail).

So, I think using L.A. as an example shows that Atlanta can make a change...since our situation is (or was) in a better position for mass transit in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta