Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 06:46 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,931,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
So all these good Americans have to do is not run, obey the badge, and everything is all honky dory? It's just that simple?
Oh, really? Your credibility just evaporated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 08:22 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,239 times
Oh no you caught me redhanded what will I do.

Oh I know I should probably remember my vowels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Oh, really? Your credibility just evaporated.

Old 05-16-2015, 04:21 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,156,709 times
Quote:
As if you didn't do the same with Atlanta City Councilman Bottoms? You pigeonholed her with the stop-snitching culture in your thread.

So I am going to fight fire with fire. You can't have it both ways. And I won't let you.

Believe it.

You've made statements to me in the past that are consistent with those of the Libertarian ideology. And you have always made it known to me that you see abuse in both corporations and government.

And now you are all like "obey authority".

Come on man, are you serious? I pay attention to each and every word that you post to me.

I could just as easily bring up your past statements to back up what I say, but I won't. Because I am hoping...praying...that there is enough honesty within you...to take upon yourself to have that personal "Come to Jesus" moment on this sort of issue.

Race is your blindspot, man. Especially when it comes to black people.

Until you and others like you fully admit to your bias in this area, nothing will ever change in this country for the better.

Nothing.
Quote:
The problem I see with people in this country who are either a part of the dominant group or affiliate in some way with the dominant group...is that they see the system that abuses others so easily as a part of themselves.

So any attack to that system...they will automatically see as an attack on the privileges they perceive themselves to gain from said system.

So naturally they will aggressively defend that flawed system to the brink of doomsday.

And they always make the impossible demand that others who are not a part of said system...make themselves and their own lives super perfect so as not to be abused by the system.

But there is no way to make oneself perfect to avoid abuse. Not in a race-tribalism society like America. Where every interaction with people in positions of authority is overly dependent on their perception of an individual and his/her characteristics beforehand.

It's humanly impossible.

All I ask is for those who truly care about humanity...to see where I am coming from. And see America's legal system for what it truly is.

And then reform it
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to AcidSnake again.

Old 05-16-2015, 09:18 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,034,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It's bad business when the police overstep their bounds and of course they should be held to account.

That being said, I am not going to take off running if a cop pulls me over or approaches me on the street. Rightly or wrongly, a lot of people are going to interpret it as an indication that I've done something illegal and am trying to escape. If I take off running, I also know that instantly increases suspicion and escalates the situation. A chase, a physical confrontation and arrest are likely.

Nobody wants to live in a police state or have cops who don't treat citizens with respect. There is probably a constitutional right to run if you choose, but hey, reality is what it is.

I've taught my kids the same thing. Just get through it with as little drama as possible and move on.
The voice of reason. Thank you for your level-headed comments, sir.

Old 05-16-2015, 09:28 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,034,729 times
Quote:
The problem I see with people in this country who are either a part of the dominant group or affiliate in some way with the dominant group...is that they see the system that abuses others so easily as a part of themselves.

So any attack to that system...they will automatically see as an attack on the privileges they perceive themselves to gain from said system.

So naturally they will aggressively defend that flawed system to the brink of doomsday.

And they always make the impossible demand that others who are not a part of said system...make themselves and their own lives super perfect so as not to be abused by the system.

But there is no way to make oneself perfect to avoid abuse. Not in a race-tribalism society like America. Where every interaction with people in positions of authority is overly dependent on their perception of an individual and his/her characteristics beforehand.

It's humanly impossible.

All I ask is for those who truly care about humanity...to see where I am coming from. And see America's legal system for what it truly is.

And then reform it
Perception of an individual can come from many different characteristics...for some people one of those characteristics may be race, but there is so much else involved that race isn't the only or even the most important one for the majority of people (in my experience, anyway). But there will always be some who see other races in a negative way - as authoritative, as inferior, as superior, as uneducated, as threatening, and so on. But I hate to see generalizations made about everyone just because of those few people who can't see past skin color and look at each person as an individual. Maybe I'm just too optimistic, but I truly feel that most people in 2015 can see each other as human beings and not pin these stupid stereotypes people with different skin color.

So are you saying that anyone who cares about humanity must agree with you? I gotta say I agree with some things you've said but not everything...but I do care about humanity.

Old 05-16-2015, 10:48 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,239 times
You could just simply say that you see nothing wrong with the status quo.

Because that's pretty much the only message I got out of reading this mush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Perception of an individual can come from many different characteristics...for some people one of those characteristics may be race, but there is so much else involved that race isn't the only or even the most important one for the majority of people (in my experience, anyway). But there will always be some who see other races in a negative way - as authoritative, as inferior, as superior, as uneducated, as threatening, and so on. But I hate to see generalizations made about everyone just because of those few people who can't see past skin color and look at each person as an individual. Maybe I'm just too optimistic, but I truly feel that most people in 2015 can see each other as human beings and not pin these stupid stereotypes people with different skin color.

So are you saying that anyone who cares about humanity must agree with you? I gotta say I agree with some things you've said but not everything...but I do care about humanity.

Old 05-17-2015, 09:59 AM

32,024 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
The voice of reason. Thank you for your level-headed comments, sir.
I totally get the idea that no one should feel like they have to fear the police and take off running when they show up.

However, solving that won't happen overnight.

In the meantime, I'd like to see people encouraged to stay calm and collected. It is good for the Citizen review board to let people know they are there to address inappropriate police conduct.

Old 05-17-2015, 10:40 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,931,600 times
Quote:
You could just simply say that you see nothing wrong with the status quo.

Because that's pretty much the only message I got out of reading this mush.

See, this is a prime example of why I have a problem with your comments. You put words in peoples mouths, assume too much and then feel compelled to throw in an insult. Not cool, and it's an pattern you keep repeating.

Old 05-17-2015, 11:22 AM

28 posts, read 35,451 times
Running from the police is obstruction by fleeing. If a law enforcement officer gives you a command to stop and you run you're in violation of the law. People saying running from the police is a constitutional right are giving horrible advice.

Fleeing Police - Atlanta Obstruction of Justice Attorney Schnipper Law

Old 05-17-2015, 12:14 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,162,536 times
Who can really run in saggy pants anyway? I'm all for running, if it'll help that fashion fad go the way of the culottes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta