Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 11:20 AM
bu2

23,873 posts, read 14,658,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
You mean like my 22 month old daughter?
Their stuff gets bigger as they get older.

When we moved here we looked at a number of houses that just didn't feel quite as big as we wanted. And all of those in that category (we could tell from the family pictures) had kids reaching school age. And these were in good school zones. It was obvious many were looking for more space (and the realtor told us that on one or two occasions).

Now some people live more like people did in the 50s when they had 4 kids, a dog, a cat and 1200 sf homes and closets no NFL lineman could squeeze into even if it was completely empty. But most people now like to have more stuff and more space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 11:35 AM

445 posts, read 512,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
The kids are young. 2 and 4. Girls. But we expect them to live there until they graduate high school. I guess we could add on by then...
I think with both of them being the same gender you could even have them share a room for a long time.

Old 05-15-2015, 11:47 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,099,587 times
Yeah, I agree ^^

You'll be fine as long as you have 2 bathrooms

Old 05-15-2015, 12:28 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,713,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Their stuff gets bigger as they get older.

When we moved here we looked at a number of houses that just didn't feel quite as big as we wanted. And all of those in that category (we could tell from the family pictures) had kids reaching school age. And these were in good school zones. It was obvious many were looking for more space (and the realtor told us that on one or two occasions).

Now some people live more like people did in the 50s when they had 4 kids, a dog, a cat and 1200 sf homes and closets no NFL lineman could squeeze into even if it was completely empty. But most people now like to have more stuff and more space.
Could that somehow be related to the issue of more personal debt?

Old 05-15-2015, 12:47 PM

2,411 posts, read 2,763,980 times
Quote:
...and more cheap stuff being available with all of the free trade agreements and automation. Can you imagine how much toys and clothes would cost if they were all made it in the US without the benefit of today's level of automation? Many Goodwill's won't even take clothes if they show a little wear (and those that do accept them, probably trash it anyway). It's bizzare, if you really think about it.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:22 PM
bu2

23,873 posts, read 14,658,987 times
Quote:
Credit cards weren't widely available in the 50s, so you had to save to get what you wanted instead of instant gratification. But, as noted, consumer goods cost less relative to income. And there's a lot more options of things to buy.

And the reality is that the country is wealthier than it was then. There's a lot more upper middle class. Even the poor have things the poor in the 50s could only dream of (like cell phones). When I was growing up, air conditioning was not so universal across the south. It was pretty exciting in 8th grade when I got into a school with air conditioning for the first time. And when my parents were growing up in the 30s and 40s, most people were what would be considered poor.

So you can fit quite easily in a 1500 sf house with 4, but it depends on the person's expectations. For most nowadays, that's less space than preferable.

Old 05-15-2015, 02:17 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,797,628 times
I think it mostly depends on the floor plan. It might drive me a bit crazy right now because I'm used to more space, but I did grow up in a 3 bdrm/1.5 ba house and we managed not to kill each other. Years later when my brother moved in with me for a few (ha ha) months in a 1,000 sf 1 bdrm/1ba, I thought I might end up on 20/20 for killing him while he slept. Other features can help making sure everyone has their own tv, computer, and what not.

Old 05-15-2015, 03:10 PM

1,976 posts, read 1,268,533 times
Default I suppose it's relative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
Is 1500 square feet too small for a family of four in Atlanta? Could any Intown residents reveal the pros and cons?
I would be curious to know what people would say about trying to live in 1500 sq ft in a Manhattan NY forum.
I think they would be fine with four in 1500 sq ft.

I think two small children would be fine in one room until they're teenagers. I believe small kids are better off sharing a room as long as possible.
When teenager years happen everything changes. Maybe they'll be fine, maybe not.
They'll probably want to go live in their car anyway, lol.

What you save on having something smaller now can go to something like private school, or go into savings, or go to a much better house when the teenagers might benefit from having some elbow room.

Personally, I think having a good neighborhood near the workplace is more important than elbow room for the kids; happy parents at home make happy kids.
"Stuff" does nothing good for kids.

Old 05-15-2015, 05:51 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,610,158 times
I grew up in the mid 80s to early 2000s in a family of four in a 1300 sq. ft. house. Even during a time of an abundance of cheap plastic crap, we always had enough space and were comfortable. It can be done. Just don't buy "stuff" you don't need.

Old 05-15-2015, 07:51 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,121,166 times
But the OP has no plans of moving when the kids become older.

I do think kids and ppl deserve a little space. Some kids do not do well bumping into siblings and parents at each turn. Some need more space of their own. Some do not. Depends on personality.

Furthermore, all of these ppl who grew up in the 80s like me and before grew up in much different times. Life was alot simpler. Everybody did not have a tv of their own, cell phone, video games and kids played outside, period. Those were different times. Kids dont play outside as much nowadays. They play inside. They have friends over inside. Yes I have lived in a 3/1 with two sisters, a mom and dad but who would honestly choose that if given an option for something bigger given the drama bathroom assembly line in the am before work and school? We lived that way bc we had to. The OP is talking about living that way intentionally. That's a little different.

The OP might want a bigger house when these two kids get to be teenagers for his/her own peace of mind. I say live in the house now and buy another one in 10 years. Surely that is doable, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsa View Post
I would be curious to know what people would say about trying to live in 1500 sq ft in a Manhattan NY forum.
I think they would be fine with four in 1500 sq ft.

I think two small children would be fine in one room until they're teenagers. I believe small kids are better off sharing a room as long as possible.
When teenager years happen everything changes. Maybe they'll be fine, maybe not.
They'll probably want to go live in their car anyway, lol.

What you save on having something smaller now can go to something like private school, or go into savings, or go to a much better house when the teenagers might benefit from having some elbow room.

Personally, I think having a good neighborhood near the workplace is more important than elbow room for the kids; happy parents at home make happy kids.
"Stuff" does nothing good for kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: