Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 12:11 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,850,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Turn on, tune out, drop out-the phrase was something like that.

that has nothing to do with the topic at hand, but that is definitely another experience worth having.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 12:20 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,850,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Interesting analysis. I've seen breakdowns like this before.

However, all the 1980-1985 people I know consider themselves Millennials. Complete, die-hard Millennials.

I've even met several 1978/79ers that call themselves Millennials.

I don't know...
that's the weird thing i don't get. millennial wasn't even a term until the mid 2000s; check out this handy little graph of the mentions of the word "millennials":

https://books.google.com/ngrams/grap...nnials%3B%2Cc0

the term doesn't really start to see broad usage until 2004. it seems weird that someone would go 24 years without having a name for their generation. i agree that there are a lot of people who call themselves millennials that were born that early, and i guess they just call themselves such because they don't really feel like Xers.

Old 05-18-2015, 01:06 PM

227 posts, read 194,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
that's the weird thing i don't get. millennial wasn't even a term until the mid 2000s; check out this handy little graph of the mentions of the word "millennials":

the term doesn't really start to see broad usage until 2004. it seems weird that someone would go 24 years without having a name for their generation. i agree that there are a lot of people who call themselves millennials that were born that early, and i guess they just call themselves such because they don't really feel like Xers.
I think we were called Generation Y at one point in time, before Millenials (wasn't it kind used as a put down, actually?) came into vogue.

Old 05-18-2015, 01:19 PM

227 posts, read 194,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
Good points, SedimenJerry.

Few people fit neatly in a box (I know I don't!). The narrative about Millennials seems to focus on only one demographic, usually white, in or near a major metro area with educated or relatively affluent parents. This leaves a lot of peopl out, many for whom a home in the suburbs, settling down with kids or living in the boonies is idyllic. We must always consider the source(s).
Thanks for pointing this out. My husband and I don't conform to many of the stereotypes, though we more than make up for it in other areas . We're not quite 30 yet, but our ideal is living in suburbs. Having grown up in NYC, my husband hates city living. It may be a cultural thing with us too. I grew up in the Caribbean and he and his sister are first generation Americans. The concept of 'elbow room' is deeply engrained in us, because in the Caribbean, only the poorest didn't have a house with a yard. Apartments still haven't really caught on either because in the hardest times, many people were cramped into tenement yards; the ghettos that many reggae songs speak about. Also, what some may call a 'crisis garden' is something that we've had our parents, grandparents and older folks drill into us. The thinking was, you never know when hard times will hit and so you need to have your own food supply. Also, there's also a lot of emphasis on having yard enough so your children can go out and play without having to leave the house. A house with a yard and space is a sign that you're doing well.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:23 PM

16,664 posts, read 29,413,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post

You are right...the term "millenials" did come much later. But what you forget is that this group was already designated by another term...Gen Y. And the older ones definitely identified as such (Gen Y, non-Gen X).

The designation as millenials replaced Gen Y...but the identity remained the same.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:24 PM

16,664 posts, read 29,413,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weeblywobbly View Post
I think we were called Generation Y at one point in time, before Millenials (wasn't it kind used as a put down, actually?) came into vogue.

This. (Sorry...I didn't see your post until after I posted.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta