Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2008, 02:20 AM

42 posts, read 212,435 times

Advertisements

If I will be working downtown (Forsyth St.), which is the best place for me to live (have children, looking for newer model home under $325,000) without an outrageously long commute - North (i.e Marietta or Powder Springs) or South (like Conyers or Stockbridge). What is the daily commute to and from these areas? Does it matter if I work earlier (6:00am)? Any recommendations? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 02:32 AM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Default Southside or southern Cobb County!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclean View Post
If I will be working downtown (Forsyth St.), which is the best place for me to live (have children, looking for newer model home under $325,000) without an outrageously long commute - North (i.e Marietta or Powder Springs) or South (like Conyers or Stockbridge). What is the daily commute to and from these areas? Does it matter if I work earlier (6:00am)? Any recommendations? Thanks!
For a downtown job, it is best to live in the South Metro Area or southern Cobb County.

It is much easier to commute to downtown from the southside...I call it the "the soft underbelly of Atlanta."

Considering your criteria (for kids, home price, etc.), here are the areas I recommend:

South Metro
Peachtree City
Fayetteville
Tyrone
North Fairburn
Cascade
Sandtown
McDonough
Stockbridge/Fairview
Eagle's Landing Area

southern Cobb County
Smyrna
Mableton

Good Luck.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:10 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Going in at 6am will definitely help, no matter where you're coming in from. I commute to downtown from Cherokee County, and the ride in is much better at 6am than it is at 7am. The same holds true in the afternoon- if I leave at 4pm, I do much better than if I leave at 5.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:48 AM

4 posts, read 12,130 times
Hi. In my opinion as a 12 year resident of Cobb County (Marietta and Powder Springs both located here), you want the North side. The best access to I-75 will be from Marietta/East Cobb. That is also where the top rates schools are located. For newer homes, it depends on what you mean by "newer". Under $325, you will be looking at a 10 year old home in East Cobb. You can get newer for the price in Powder Springs, but access, schools, etc... may be less than what you desire. I'm happy to send more details if you want! Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclean View Post

Old 01-20-2008, 12:00 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,774,612 times
I'd go for Powder Springs because you'll get the most house for the money and you'll be leaving so early (6am) that you can probably hop down Thornton Road and take Interstate 20 in. Hopefully, you'll be going home earlier too, right? Powder Springs is really cute (just dropped by there today) and there are a lot of big homes selling for under $300k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta