Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 02:23 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,377,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA7cities View Post
I think this is a fair law. I honestly think a slow driver is just as dangerous as a speeder and honestly more of a jerk. If someone is speeding, all I have to do is get over and let them be on their merry way. But if Im stuck behind someone riding the fast lane at the speed limit, then Im stuck or forced to maneuver around them which disrupts the flow of traffic in other lanes, increasing the chance of an accident. Its almost an unwritten rule that you go with the flow of traffic (at least where I'm from). Thats usually about 5 to no more than 10 miles over the speed limit. And if you're not going to go with the flow then you stay in the slower lane(s). GA and NC seem to have the most "slow-poke" drivers from my experience. I travel home frequently to VA, almost once a month, and these two states tend to have significantly higher number of drivers who like to ride the left lane at the stated speed limit, slowing up the rest of the drivers. If other drivers have to pass you in the nearest right lane then you should remove yourself from the fast lane/passing lane. You would think that its common courtesy and common sense but its like they purposely stay in the passing lane/fast lane to enforce the speed limit.

And the funny part is they always have this look on their face and body language like ".. Well I'm going the speed limit!"... No. Get out of the way!
Then you honestly think something that is in error... SPEED is the #1 cause of death on the road. And it's often the innocent that pay the price. Common courtesy is respecting other people's right to life and limb. Driving is risky enough even when everyone does what they're supposed to. The signs are not a "recommended" speed. They are the law. Just because others want to disobey it doesn't mean everyone else has to. You have no legal right to go 5-10 miles over the speed limit. Americans have manufactured a belief that driving is a "right" these days. Not so. It is and remains a privilege.

Having said that, I still support punishing driver's who cruise the passing lanes for lengthy periods of time. That's not what they are for. The only exception is a gridlocked road where all lanes are packed full and no one can get back over.

I assure you I will not "get out of your way" just because you want me to and want to drive dangerously... If you wish to get aggressive with me, you will invite your own demise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 02:35 PM

17 posts, read 18,089 times
This has been a law in this state for quite a while now. It's not new. At least, I can remember the signs "Keep right except to pass" for a very long time.

If you want a state that does it right, just look at Colorado. they've been enforcing the same "slow-poke" law for at least a decade. Their little 2 lane North-South Interstate works just fine, with people being in the left to pass, then quickly moving back over to the right.

Now, for the science, it's equally as dangerous to drive 5mph under the speed limit as it is to drive 5mph over the speed limit. Don't believe me? I'll link you the study. It's the people that drive with varying degrees of separation from the normal flow that cause accidents.

You other people that love to block people trying to pass. You are not a vigilante. You are not a cop. Protect yourself, and be defensive.

Old 05-18-2015, 02:39 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,153,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellgod View Post
This has been a law in this state for quite a while now. It's not new. At least, I can remember the signs "Keep right except to pass" for a very long time.

If you want a state that does it right, just look at Colorado. they've been enforcing the same "slow-poke" law for at least a decade. Their little 2 lane North-South Interstate works just fine, with people being in the left to pass, then quickly moving back over to the right.

Now, for the science, it's equally as dangerous to drive 5mph under the speed limit as it is to drive 5mph over the speed limit. Don't believe me? I'll link you the study. It's the people that drive with varying degrees of separation from the normal flow that cause accidents.

You other people that love to block people trying to pass. You are not a vigilante. You are not a cop. Protect yourself, and be defensive.
I don't think you realize what the new law does. As has been mentioned on this thread already, you can now be ticketed for simultaneously driving "too slow" in the left lane and for driving above the speed limit.

And I challenge your claim about Colorado's law. I want to see the exact text of it, particularly whether it provides immunity to those traveling above the speed limit.

Old 05-18-2015, 05:59 PM

183 posts, read 249,325 times
Slow-pokes aren't even the biggest problem here. Drivers not allowing others to merge on or off the freeway needs to be addressed. Drivers jumping the line on backed up off ramps also slows down everyone.

Old 05-18-2015, 06:15 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,161,779 times
Would rather call *GSP saying someone just blew by me at 90mph or more (after I saw them approach and moved over to let them pass), than call saying someone just nearly wrecked me (or worse)... because I didn't. Competent control only extends to my own vehicle, not anyone else's.

Can't assume a speeder does it just to flout the law, could be some emergency they're attending to. You never know. Just make constant use of your rearview mirror, and not just to check your hair and makeup. No law is perfect, but let enforcement do their job. Sorry if I offended anyone, either here or on the road.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:19 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,706,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncey View Post
Slow-pokes aren't even the biggest problem here. Drivers not allowing others to merge on or off the freeway needs to be addressed. Drivers jumping the line on backed up off ramps also slows down everyone.
I saw the GSP do that the other day. Guy decide to cut across the gore to get on 285 because he didn't want to sit in the traffic. GSP pulled him over.

If they would sit at a couple ramps, they could make a few dollars off these impatient jackasses.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:54 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,153,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
I saw the GSP do that the other day. Guy decide to cut across the gore to get on 285 because he didn't want to sit in the traffic. GSP pulled him over.
Good! These are tickets I fully support giving.

Quote:
If they would sit at a couple ramps, they could make a few dollars off these impatient jackasses.
haha yeah...

Old 05-18-2015, 11:13 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post

Good! This behavior is out of control, and needs to be curbed in. The rudeness on the roads is becoming nuts in certain parts of town.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:49 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,782,572 times
That's why ludacris made that song "move bytch, get out the way"

FYI...Just repeating lyrics to a song. I'm not calling anyone on here a bytch

Old 05-19-2015, 06:15 AM

17 posts, read 18,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
I don't think you realize what the new law does. As has been mentioned on this thread already, you can now be ticketed for simultaneously driving "too slow" in the left lane and for driving above the speed limit.

And I challenge your claim about Colorado's law. I want to see the exact text of it, particularly whether it provides immunity to those traveling above the speed limit.
Here's all the states.

State "keep right" laws

Removed (sarcasm and not helpful)

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 05-19-2015 at 10:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: