Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 11:41 AM

67 posts, read 302,057 times

Advertisements

Is getting snow twice in one week in Atlanta normal? Does it snow in ATL every year? I was under the impression it didn't snow hardly ever here, but we've been pleasantly surprised by this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 11:52 AM

1,320 posts, read 4,273,868 times
No, it's definitely not normal. I can't even remember the last time it snowed. Although occasionally we'll get snow (or more frequently ice) storms. Usually about once every decade or so.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:54 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,101,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamato3BB's View Post
Is getting snow twice in one week in Atlanta normal? Does it snow in ATL every year? I was under the impression it didn't snow hardly ever here, but we've been pleasantly surprised by this!
We looked back through our photo albums, and the last snowfall like this (at least in Suwanee) was in February 2004. We have lived down here for 8 years, and this is only the third or fourth snowfall. In contrast, we have had several ice storms - that is actually more typical. This is very unusual weather for Atlanta.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:57 AM

218 posts, read 606,207 times
Two snow events in one week is pretty unusual in my 18 years here. There have been some spectacular snows, which I always seem to miss because I'm out of town. The way you phrase your post suggests you're fairly new to the area. Are you getting a kick out of how people stampede the stores, that the milk and bread isles are empty? I have to admit, I was at Publix when it opened at 7:00, more because I'm due to be somewhere at 3:00 and fear inexperienced drivers more than the weather (fortunately, it's only a little over a mile, so I can walk and not worry about black ice this evening). I know it's not the NE, but hey, ain't it purty?

Old 01-19-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASunshine View Post
I know it's not the NE, but hey, ain't it purty?
Yes we are from Minneapolis where this amount of snow we wouldn't bat an eyelash at. However we had to come down here for hubby's job, and the one thing that I was sad about when moving here were my boys missing out on snow/winter that I loved growing up. So I have been thrilled this week thinking maybe it's still in the realm of possibility!

Old 01-19-2008, 02:25 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,101,714 times
Quote:
Yes we are from Minneapolis where this amount of snow we wouldn't bat an eyelash at. However we had to come down here for hubby's job, and the one thing that I was sad about when moving here were my boys missing out on snow/winter that I loved growing up. So I have been thrilled this week thinking maybe it's still in the realm of possibility!
Sorry to be a wet blanket, but don't expect this kind of weather too often. If you do need an occasional snow fix, you can always go up to the mountains.

Old 01-19-2008, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
Sorry to be a wet blanket, but don't expect this kind of weather too often. If you do need an occasional snow fix, you can always go up to the mountains.
Not too often is ok with me, I just want the kids to have at least a few memories of it at least. It's way better than in MN when pretty much all of Nov-Mar is one big winter storm!

Old 01-19-2008, 03:48 PM

218 posts, read 606,207 times
Quote:
Not too often is ok with me, I just want the kids to have at least a few memories of it at least. It's way better than in MN when pretty much all of Nov-Mar is one big winter storm!
A friend from Minnesota says there are five reasons not to live there - November, December, January, February and March.

Old 01-19-2008, 05:38 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,253,302 times
Believe it or not, Atlanta does average 2.5" of snow per year. Now, that doesn't mean it snows every year. It's a 30-year average, which means that a few years with some big snows will move the average up. In any case, the airport has now had 1.2" of snow so far this season. If it doubles that between now and the end of the season, we'll actually have an "average" snow season.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:10 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,078,419 times
Quote:
Snow!!

I'm so happy! It's wonderful! I feel like a tourist, though -- I was taking pictures all over this afternoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta