Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 08:58 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,112,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
This BRT proposal is a well-intended (if not highly flawed) start to attempting to improve transit service in heavily-populated and heavily-developed Cobb County.

Though, the inadequate funding and operating models for this proposed line leave much to be desired.

The use of a voter referendum to fund this proposed line leaves it extremely vulnerable to being rejected by angry Cobb County voters eager to send a message to express their displeasure over the escalating costs of the Braves stadium project.

While the decision to only operate the first phase of the line between Cumberland and KSU instead of between Arts Center and KSU is highly questionable from a connectivity standpoint....But such is the debacle that is public transportation throughout much of metro Atlanta these days.

I don't give this proposal much of a chance of being passed by the voters (and I am not necessarily really sure that it should pass at this point), but at least this proposal keeps the conversation about transit improvement going.
IMO, for many of the reasons B2R listed above, this project was designed to fail. If this is basically a glorified bus, and the voters aren't sold on the benefits (if there are any) it will not pass, and anti-transit folks can use that as "exhibit A" for why "Cobb voters don't want transit" for several years to come. Coincidentally, anti-Cobb folks will say the same thing. They will both be wrong, of course.

On the other hand, if it passes, it will be a glorified bus stuck in traffic, and voters will wonder why they voted for it in the first place, and will therefore be even more wary of new transit plans for at least a few years. Anti-transit folks will then say "look how this failed! See, Cobb and transit don't mix?!" Coincidentally, anti-Cobb folks will say the same: accusing "Cobb" of being unwilling to adopt mass-transit. Both parties would be wrong, of course.

I'm Cobb resident, I think we need transit. I am willing to defend "Cobb" from some of the ignorant claims made against it (as if a heavily populated area of nearly a million people is a monolith anyway Anyone who consistently paints Cobb with a broad brush, clearly doesn't know much about Cobb)

However, it is absolutely true that there is an "old guard" that fits the stereotype that the anti-Cobb folks push. Unfortunately many of those are in leadership positions. But their numbers are shrinking. Like most of the metro, Cobb has been going through rapid changes. Anti-Cobbers shouldn't write us all off. Give us some time, bother finding out what the issues are, or get involved in making changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 09:08 AM

1,329 posts, read 1,314,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
IMO, for many of the reasons B2R listed above, this project was designed to fail. If this is basically a glorified bus, and the voters aren't sold on the benefits (if there are any) it will not pass, and anti-transit folks can use that as "exhibit A" for why "Cobb voters don't want transit" for several years to come. Coincidentally, anti-Cobb folks will say the same thing. They will both be wrong, of course.

On the other hand, if it passes, it will be a glorified bus stuck in traffic, and voters will wonder why they voted for it in the first place, and will therefore be even more wary of new transit plans for at least a few years. Anti-transit folks will then say "look how this failed! See, Cobb and transit don't mix?!" Coincidentally, anti-Cobb folks will say the same: accusing "Cobb" of being unwilling to adopt mass-transit. Both parties would be wrong, of course.

I'm Cobb resident, I think we need transit. I am willing to defend "Cobb" from some of the ignorant claims made against it (as if a heavily populated area of nearly a million people is a monolith anyway Anyone who consistently paints Cobb with a broad brush, clearly doesn't know much about Cobb)

However, it is absolutely true that there is an "old guard" that fits the stereotype that the anti-Cobb folks push. Unfortunately many of those are in leadership positions. But their numbers are shrinking. Like most of the metro, Cobb has been going through rapid changes. Anti-Cobbers shouldn't write us all off. Give us some time, bother finding out what the issues are, or get involved in making changes.
Yes, this, precisely. And I am right there with you. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. And then seek to change things. The area is changing, and so is the constituency.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:24 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,854,509 times
Quote:

If the buses have their own lane, high frequencies, off board payment, and stations; then it would be more than just a bus stuck in traffic because it will have it's own dedicated lane.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evannole View Post
Yes, this, precisely. And I am right there with you. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. And then seek to change things. The area is changing, and so is the constituency.
Yes, the rest of the metro area has changed dramatically since the 90's, but it's as if some people just refuse to accept that Cobb has changed, too

And thanks for your Marietta Square restaurant suggestions on that other thread!

Old 05-27-2015, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
If the buses have their own lane, high frequencies, off board payment, and stations; then it would be more than just a bus stuck in traffic because it will have it's own dedicated lane.
Right, but the big question is if, in practice, it's going to happen this way...

Old 05-27-2015, 09:42 AM

1,329 posts, read 1,314,122 times
Quote:
Yes, the rest of the metro area has changed dramatically since the 90's, but it's as if some people just refuse to accept that Cobb has changed, too

And thanks for your Marietta Square restaurant suggestions on that other thread!
Anytime! We are always trying new ones, and some are better than others. I'm hoping that we'll continue to get more interesting options.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Right, but the big question is if, in practice, it's going to happen this way...
Then it wouldn't be considered BRT, just a local or limited stop bus.

Old 05-27-2015, 12:57 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,691,755 times
Quote:
Then it wouldn't be considered BRT, just a local or limited stop bus.
Quote:
Sadly, you're both kinda right. It will have dedicated, but not separated lanes. That means that there will be paint on the road that says to stay out and that they're only for buses. No median keeping the lanes from interfering with each other though, much like the bus lanes along 17th around Atlantic Station.

I fear that what happens around Atlantic Station, and with Toronto and their Streetcar Lanes, will happen here though. That is, that people ignore, or don't notice the paint, using the lane as a standard travel lane. Atlantic Station never seemed to enforce their bus lanes too heavily, and Toronto got tired of writing so many tickets (hahahaha) and gave up the effort of heavily inforcing.

Along I-75, the buses will use HOV lanes, like the eXpress buses, which run into the same issue of local traffic during rush hour. I have a feeling that the lack of guaranteed travel lanes from Cumberland down to Arts Center is one of the big reasons for the phasing...

Old 05-27-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Sadly, you're both kinda right. It will have dedicated, but not separated lanes. That means that there will be paint on the road that says to stay out and that they're only for buses. No median keeping the lanes from interfering with each other though, much like the bus lanes along 17th around Atlantic Station.

I fear that what happens around Atlantic Station, and with Toronto and their Streetcar Lanes, will happen here though. That is, that people ignore, or don't notice the paint, using the lane as a standard travel lane. Atlantic Station never seemed to enforce their bus lanes too heavily, and Toronto got tired of writing so many tickets (hahahaha) and gave up the effort of heavily inforcing.

Along I-75, the buses will use HOV lanes, like the eXpress buses, which run into the same issue of local traffic during rush hour. I have a feeling that the lack of guaranteed travel lanes from Cumberland down to Arts Center is one of the big reasons for the phasing...
Guess Cobb PD better enforce the bus only lanes or it'll be a failure. They could put up flex post, as a cheap alterative?

Old 05-27-2015, 01:18 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,691,755 times
Quote:
Guess Cobb PD better enforce the bus only lanes or it'll be a failure. They could put up flex post, as a cheap alterative?
I kinda like that idea actually, like they did with the Bike Track along 10th. Enough of a presence to give the drivers the idea to stay out, while not causing to much damage should someone have an accident and go over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta