U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2015, 12:18 PM

36 posts, read 49,016 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I have been checking out these forums, but have not posted before. My husband's job is moving us from Greenville, SC to the ATL area this summer. He starts in early July, so the sooner we get there, the better. We only found out about the move 3 weeks ago, so we are scrambling to figure everything out!

He will be working in Duluth, but we don't want to be too far from the city. I stay at home with our children.
We have three children, ages 3,5,8. The oldest will be going into 3rd grade, middle will be entering kindergarten, and the youngest will be entering preschool for the first time.

Schools is one of the very biggest factors for us. Our oldest is profoundly gifted and had been accepted to a school for the highly gifted here. Finding a good fit for him is a top priority on where we live. He cannot just do a pull out program - he needs something very challenging. Any thoughts on Fulton Science Academy or Midtown International for gifted children? Any other suggestions? My other children were attending a Montessori school, and I would like to keep them on that path, so I am looking for a school for them as well, although I would consider a very good public school, as I think they are bright, but maybe not gifted (too early to really tell with my 3 year old).

We are looking to spend 500-600k for a home and would like something at least 3,000 square feet. We need room, as we are considering having another child as well. We would like a pool in the community or the ability to put one in our yard. So far we are considering Roswell, Sandy Springs, and Dunwoody. We would like easy access to the city, but it doesn't have to be super close, though Midtown International would need to be close, if we go that route for my oldest.

I would appreciate any suggestions on schools, suburbs, or even subdivisions!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 08:50 PM

2,745 posts, read 5,150,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosa727 View Post

He will be working in Duluth, but we don't want to be too far from the city. So far we are considering Roswell, Sandy Springs, and Dunwoody.
Its a terrible commute to Duluth from any of those places unless its the part of Duluth by the Whole Foods on State Bridge Rd.

Quote:
We are looking to spend 500-600k for a home and would like something at least 3,000 square feet. We need room, as we are considering having another child as well. We would like a pool in the community or the ability to put one in our yard..... We would like easy access to the city, but it doesn't have to be super close, though Midtown International would need to be close, if we go that route for my oldest.
These are examples of $600k homes close to Midtown International,nice but not close to 3000 sq. ft.

midtown example 1

midtown example 2

Quote:
I would appreciate any suggestions on schools, suburbs, or even subdivisions!
I suggest living in Suwanee and finding a home in the Parsons elementary district. Suwanee is far from the city but its a good connection via the 85 freeway from the Parsons district. Parsons is a highly rated elementary school and Suwanee is very close to Duluth.

Arrange a visit to Parsons and compare it to that two year old school in a shopping center in Atlanta to see which is a better overall educational experience for your children. There is also the very highly regarded G.A.C. school in Lilburn as an alternate choice.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:03 PM

4,232 posts, read 5,213,928 times
if you've really got 500-600k to blow, you need to live near midtown or decatur. you would be wasting your money anywhere else.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:22 PM

13,605 posts, read 22,172,066 times
I would look for the right school and then search for a home. Here is a source for information on gifted programs in GA:
Gifted Atlanta | A resource for parents of bright and talented children.

The schools listed as serving the highly gifted are High Meadows School in Roswell, Paideia, Pace and Midtown International in Atlanta. Once the student reaches high school age, many districts have the option of dual enrolling in colleges.

Presumably your child is coming to GA with an IEP in place?

Old 05-29-2015, 06:22 PM

Mattie: he doesn't have an IEP. In SC giftedness isn't considered special education, so I don't think he would qualify. He does have his IQ scores by a licensed psychologist and his standardized test scores that show he is highly/profoundly gifted. I just have concern that no public school is going to have a challenging enough program for him. A pull out just isn't going to cut it. In Greenville, there is a public school for the highly gifted, starting in 3rd grade. He had been accepted and was supposed to start this year. Are there any fully gifted classrooms in public schools, that you are aware of? I did see the website you linked, and it appeared to also list Fulton Science Academy. They claim to be for bright and gifted. The gifted program is a separate program.

Capoeira: several of the people at his new office live in those areas and say the commute is fine. Two live in Brookhaven and love that - that's another area we are looking. I definitely think we will get less house farther in, but I have found homes in Brookhaven and Decatur that are upwards of 3,000 square feet and seem fairly nice.

We head down to tour some schools and start house hunting with the realtor this weekend! Wish me luck!

Old 05-29-2015, 07:47 PM

13,605 posts, read 22,172,066 times
Fulton Science Academy is in Alpharetta. It was originally operated as a charter school, but the charter was revoked a few years back due to a lack of transparency with their financial data. Reviews are very good online, but it is now operating as a private, tuition based school. They were building new facilities, I'm not sure how far along they are.

We didn't live in GA during the elementary years, and I can't comment on gifted programs at that level for public schools. We came here for high school, and between AP classes and dual enrollment at GA Tech, the public schools were a great fit.

Old 05-30-2015, 11:14 AM

Mattie: thanks for the info. Their new school will be open for the coming school year. We will be touring next week. The good thing about it for us would be that my other two kids could likely get in as well since you don't have to be highly gifted to get in. I think they look for bright kids and then have an additional program for highly gifted, which would be a good fit for my oldest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or