Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 11:09 AM

475 posts, read 684,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCATL View Post
I looked for the one in front of the Zoo Atlanta sign today, didn't see it on either the Boulevard or Cherokee sides. Were they already taken down?
I like the idea. Unique to Atlanta, and interesting. If they were relative country music quotes in Nashville, more people would "get it."

I just walked past Hooters on Peachtree. The sign pictured there in the article/link, is gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 11:18 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,820,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
This project is so much cooler after watching the video.

Right?!? I agree.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:25 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,820,665 times
I've lived in Atlanta metro for a bit. I don't have the free to time to get out and explore every little thing from a song about an area in ATL, but it doesn't mean I'm not curious about what particular place is being discussed when I hear it.

I would appreciate even more when visiting other cities. I still don't go along with the idea of marking a specific house/personal residence, but I definitely think its cool to be able to clearly see what's being described in the music.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:49 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,292,503 times
If this were Memphis or Clarksdale or Detroit or Austin or Nashville or San Francisco or London or Muscle Shoals or Liverpool or Los Angeles or Chicago or anywhere else that has been written about in song and/or is a noteworthy location for a certain type of music, nobody would have a problem with these signs.

But since it's rap...

I don't even like rap, and I can see it clearly.

Old 06-01-2015, 12:01 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,032,687 times
It's art...not everyone has the capacity to "get it".

Old 06-01-2015, 01:16 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,522,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
I'm going to need a translator.
Ha ha ha

Old 06-01-2015, 01:23 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,102,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuiOui View Post
Hilarious. Like, I like hip hop & all, but maybe signs posted around the city advocating drug dealing and fornicating in the Georgia Dome (LOL) aren't quite the best idea..... especially since I do know what all those lyrics mean, ha!
All it does is reinforce Atlanta's reputation as a ghetto city, especially among folks who aren't black. But Atlanta is such a black city, that a lot of folks there don't really seem to care about how people who aren't black or how people from other parts of the world perceive it, which is a shame, because that holds the city back from becoming better and being more relevant for more than just being a hotbed for Hip-Hop music and Hip-Hop themed reality shows and movies.

Last edited by NoClueWho; 06-01-2015 at 01:38 PM..

Old 06-01-2015, 01:48 PM

475 posts, read 684,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
All it does is reinforce Atlanta's reputation as a ghetto city, especially among folks who aren't black. But Atlanta is such a black city, that a lot of folks there don't really seem to care about how people who aren't black or how people from other parts of the world perceive it, which is a shame, because that holds the city back from becoming better and being more relevant for more than just being a hotbed for Hip-Hop music and Hip-Hop themed reality shows and movies.
Or some of us have traveled (London, Honolulu, LA, San Fran, Chicago, San Juan, Toronto, I could go on...) and ALL I've ever received in the way of response from non-blacks (read: mostly whites) is, "Oh, I LOVE Atlanta."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5008299.html

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...1#.VWy4D0YRn5M

Old 06-01-2015, 01:58 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,484,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
In truth, no reason is needed, so any reason is more than good enough.

Put whatever you want on a street pole. If people don't like it, too bad.
You cannot put whatever on a street pole, code enforcement has domain over that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
If this were Memphis or Clarksdale or Detroit or Austin or Nashville or San Francisco or London or Muscle Shoals or Liverpool or Los Angeles or Chicago or anywhere else that has been written about in song and/or is a noteworthy location for a certain type of music, nobody would have a problem with these signs.

But since it's rap...

I don't even like rap, and I can see it clearly.
Rap and hip-hop are not one in the same. One is a musical genre, the other is a culture...

Old 06-01-2015, 02:31 PM

492 posts, read 1,027,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post

Why should the good people of Atlanta care what the ignorant and misinformed "non black" folks think? I believe intelligent, well informed non-blacks know there is more to Atlanta than just Hip Hop. There is no shame in embracing a subculture of black culture in which Atlanta is known for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: