Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 08:41 AM

16,664 posts, read 29,413,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Starting off: I am sorry.

Number two: I am sorry.

Number three: I am very, very, very, very...sorry.

That being said, the subject of Afrocentric-ness is something I take serious. And I feel like the black community right now is in crisis mode. Too many of us are comfortable with the token positions assigned to us by the dominant society, while the rest of us are catching "H".

And history being the judge, what affects some of us, will eventually affect all of us. No amount of kissing up and integrating with the dominant society will save us.

The height of this emergency is the Mayor of Baltimore and the U.S. President referring to the young protestors as thugs.

That represents to me the ultimate failure of the lack of connection to culture. And the failure of the older generations and leadership class to teach the youth a sense of culture.

So I will push on this particular issue. And I will push again on this issue. Because I really do believe that we folks who consider ourselves part of the black/African American diaspora...must tap into a culture of some kind to affiliate with each other for our survival.

We have no choice. There is no one else coming to the rescue, it seems.

So again, my apologies for these methods. These methods seem almost crazy. Fanatical, even.

But when it comes to the ideas and concepts of black/African American and Afrocentric identity, I feel almost "driven" to push the envelope.

Oh yeah.

I am sorry.

I am sorry.

And I am very sorry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
AcidSnake, we actually agree much more than we disagree here and I often think about and wrestle with the best ways to push for meaningful change without being cynical about the whole thing, which is extremely hard to do.
Beautiful posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 10:12 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,180,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
"When you're surrounded by well to do Blacks, you don't necessarily need cultural "empowerment" events every week of the year. Just look around you...that's real empowerment."

LOLOLOLOL!!!! That's funny statement! You don't necessarily need what??!!! Have you ever seen an authentic Jewish/Hasidic Community and how they operate?! You want to see some TRUE empowerment. Negroes are just playing at being real empowered, I don't care what city they are living in. I'm still laughing at this comment!
Ok.

Old 05-31-2015, 11:32 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,298,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
AcidSnake, we actually agree much more than we disagree here and I often think about and wrestle with the best ways to push for meaningful change without being cynical about the whole thing, which is extremely hard to do.
No joke on that one. I feel the same.

I can't seem to get any meaningful engagement from most of my friends, family, co-workers who are of the melanated sort like I am...on any of these issues. Not even on economic empowerment & self-employment.

I tried the soft approach. Nothing. Now I'm on this approach. Still nothing.

They are pretty pacified with their jobs and talking ESPN.

No critical engagement on cultural awareness of melanin what-so-ever...outside of "whitey won't give me a raise", "good hair/bad hair", and whatever other petty narcissistic stuff .

I don't know what the future may hold for black/African American people.

I just hope & pray that it ain't a dark one.

Oh yeah, my apologies once again. Gotta get that last one out for the road.

Old 05-31-2015, 11:56 AM

37,837 posts, read 41,708,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
No joke on that one. I feel the same.

I can't seem to get any meaningful engagement from most of my friends, family, co-workers who are of the melanated sort like I am...on any of these issues. Not even on economic empowerment & self-employment.

I tried the soft approach. Nothing. Now I'm on this approach. Still nothing.

They are pretty pacified with their jobs and talking ESPN.

No critical engagement on cultural awareness of melanin what-so-ever...outside of "whitey won't give me a raise", "good hair/bad hair", and whatever other petty narcissistic stuff .

I don't know what the future may hold for black/African American people.

I just hope & pray that it ain't a dark one.

Oh yeah, my apologies once again. Gotta get that last one out for the road.
Apology accepted. And I talk about this sort of stuff all the time with some of my fraternity brothers in particular. Sometimes I think our collective aversion to engaging these issues is a coping mechanism, and other times I think it's pure apathy/laziness. Probably a little of both.

I'm thinking that Marcus and Malcolm probably had it right the whole time, and Martin came to the right conclusion later on but would have never been perceived as a real threat had it not been for his massive push for change inside the system that gave him the mainstream clout and stature that it did.

Old 05-31-2015, 01:27 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,158,145 times
Doesn't everybody have their own little afro that's centrally located?

No offense!

Old 06-01-2015, 08:37 AM

371 posts, read 455,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarbundy View Post
Doesn't everybody have their own little afro that's centrally located?

No offense!

Saying something incredibly offensive followed by whited-out "No offense" does not make it inoffensive. Literally smh at this one.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:47 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,158,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuiOui View Post
Saying something incredibly offensive followed by whited-out "No offense" does not make it inoffensive. Literally smh at this one.
Apologies. Just trying to make the point that we all have ancestry from that continent if you go far enough back, and shared traits to this day!

However, since human cultural social constructs have developed within and between populations (sometimes obscuring but usually revealing commonality), they are also fluid and ever changing, even in one generation. With honesty and openness, there is always hope for equal mindedness to eventually prevail for every person and personality.

At present, I'll be the first to admit that an element of easily scared, trigger happy deputies do not help to maintain an effective peace keeping force for an otherwise law abiding community. The martyrs that have died as a result is tragic, and only if some real change can be brought to bear in the department ranks to establish trust, will their deaths not have been in vain.

Again, apologies.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:30 AM

371 posts, read 455,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarbundy View Post
Apologies. Just trying to make the point that we all have ancestry from that continent if you go far enough back, and shared traits to this day!

However, since human cultural social constructs have developed within and between populations (sometimes obscuring but usually revealing commonality), they are also fluid and ever changing, even in one generation. With honesty and openness, there is always hope for equal mindedness to eventually prevail for every person and personality.

At present, I'll be the first to admit that an element of easily scared, trigger happy deputies do not help to maintain an effective peace keeping force for an otherwise law abiding community. The martyrs that have died as a result is tragic, and only if some real change can be brought to bear in the department ranks to establish trust, will their deaths not have been in vain.

Again, apologies.
Fair enough!

----------------------------

If anyone is sincerely interested in getting involved with African spirituality based societies in Atlanta, send me a private msg. Everyone welcome as long as you are of the human race
If you reply here I won't see it. I feel like the original question has been answered so I won't be back in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta