Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 08:01 AM

1 posts, read 1,376 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am looking to relocate to Lawrenceville Ga, (next summer) I am looking for a good location with good schools and good jobs but not too expensive, I am coming from Kentucky where nice houses are cheap, could I find a nice size 3 bedroom house in Lawrenceville Ga around $700-$800 a month that isn't in a bad area???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 11:49 AM

7 posts, read 7,656 times
It's cheaper to buy than rent here, I think.
I would avoid Gwinnett county if you value your money and freedom. This is the worst place I've ever lived. The laws are vague, so everyone is a criminal, and they're enforced arbitrarily. We just got a citation for our garage being open, no warning, a citation, with a maximum fine of $1000 a day and six months in jail.
We were actually in the middle of installing a new garage door, which we explained to them. I guess we should have done it in the middle of the night.
We also got a citation for the tools we were using to install the garage door because they were lying in the driveway. Same fine and penalties.
This county sucks.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:35 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,939,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prayerchangesthings View Post
It's cheaper to buy than rent here, I think.
I would avoid Gwinnett county if you value your money and freedom. This is the worst place I've ever lived. The laws are vague, so everyone is a criminal, and they're enforced arbitrarily. We just got a citation for our garage being open, no warning, a citation, with a maximum fine of $1000 a day and six months in jail.
We were actually in the middle of installing a new garage door, which we explained to them. I guess we should have done it in the middle of the night.
We also got a citation for the tools we were using to install the garage door because they were lying in the driveway. Same fine and penalties.
This county sucks.

Yea I get arrested every other month. Last month was for illegal waxing of my car. Was waxing on in counterclockwise motion instead of clockwise. Silly mistake. My dad typically gets arrested a few times a year for snoring too loudly. Even arrested our dog for pooping the in the neighbors yard.

Well time to go back to reality...

You can probably find a cheaper place in the Dacula HS and Archer HS clusters in eastern Gwinnett. Both are really good schools but you'll be far from a lot of jobs.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post

Yea I get arrested every other month. Last month was for illegal waxing of my car. Was waxing on in counterclockwise motion instead of clockwise. Silly mistake. My dad typically gets arrested a few times a year for snoring too loudly. Even arrested our dog for pooping the in the neighbors yard.

You can probably find a cheaper place in the Dacula HS and Archer HS clusters in eastern Gwinnett. Both are really good schools but you'll be far from a lot of jobs.
Well, I guess you don't have a neighbor who hates you who has connections with Grudge Enforcement. I have the citations to prove it. One just says "Garage Door" and the other just says "outdoor storage." Court date is next month.
I'd stay away from Gwinnett. It's crooked.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:05 PM

Quote:

Well, I guess you don't have a neighbor who hates you who has connections with Grudge Enforcement. I have the citations to prove it. One just says "Garage Door" and the other just says "outdoor storage." Court date is next month.
I'd stay away from Gwinnett. It's crooked.
ANnnnnnnd my whole point was that it's ridiculous, so i agree with your tone.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:24 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,939,578 times
Almost 900,000 people and only 702 citations were issued last year. This sounds more like a someone doesn't like you issue instead of a Gwinnett issue. Anyway, max penalty is 1K per day (minimum is 250) but only habitual offenders get jail time and that's up to 60 days. Not 6 months. I'm assuming you got a citation related to 14-329 in regards to garage doors. Just reading through these I can see just about every house in my neighborhood is in violation of one thing or another. Will anything happen? Nope.
Besides, you got cited and now you're ranting. Joined today just to **** on Gwinnett and claim that "everyone is a criminal" due to one single event that happened to you .

Old 06-01-2015, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Almost 900,000 people and only 702 citations were issued last year. This sounds more like a someone doesn't like you issue instead of a Gwinnett issue. Anyway, max penalty is 1K per day (minimum is 250) but only habitual offenders get jail time and that's up to 60 days. Not 6 months. I'm assuming you got a citation related to 14-329 in regards to garage doors. Just reading through these I can see just about every house in my neighborhood is in violation of one thing or another. Will anything happen? Nope.
Besides, you got cited and now you're ranting. Joined today just to **** on Gwinnett and claim that "everyone is a criminal" due to one single event that happened to you .
The OP has only one post, maybe it's a conspiracy.

I have lived here 17 years and I've always hated Gwinnett county. I hate the high taxes, the government intrusiveness, the fact that no one around here speaks English, the mcmansions practically joined on each side with postage stamp lots, so they're just glorified apartments with none of the charm and individuality that makes a house a home, I hate the traffic and the crowds, and the distant and uncaring city council and the emissions checks that are more about revenue generation, since the vehicles that emit the most emissions are exempt, and the cronyism. If anyone wanted to live here and would buy our house we'd be gone in a flash, but this house would be 300,000 anywhere else but it's only worth 130,000 here.
I also hate the pollen and the lack of sidewalks and the crappy garbage service that replaced our good garbage service with it's terrible customer service and the fact that I'm forced to use them even though the service is the worst I've ever had and the cost is added to our property taxes which are already sky high. I hate the mail service because they steal and if you have a package they leave a pink notice without even trying to deliver it so they don't have to get out of the truck.
No, I've never even for a second liked Gwinnett county. If I can keep someone else from being trapped here I'm happy to help.
Oh, and you're right, it is sixty days, that's a relief. The grudge enforcement guy said it doesn't depend on the merit of the case but on the judge's mood.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:39 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,823,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candace90 View Post
Hello,
I am looking to relocate to Lawrenceville Ga, (next summer) I am looking for a good location with good schools and good jobs but not too expensive, I am coming from Kentucky where nice houses are cheap, could I find a nice size 3 bedroom house in Lawrenceville Ga around $700-$800 a month that isn't in a bad area???
My brother and his first wife liked living in Lawrenceville, and I can assure you they did not pay a lot for their townhouse. However, I'm not sure that it is reasonable to expect to rent three bedrooms for $800 in 2016. I got the impression that most of Lawrenceville was safe though.

I would check out Norcross if only to be closer to a variety of places to work. Like any city, some areas are sketchier than others, but it seems to be less expensive.

Is there any reason why you selected Gwinnett County? I mean if you don't have a job yet, then you should wait to see where you'll be working. Your budget and everything could change.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:46 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,942,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prayerchangesthings View Post
No, I've never even for a second liked Gwinnett county. If I can keep someone else from being trapped here I'm happy to help.
Then you have nobody but yourself to blame.

There is this little thing you may have heard of, and it's called 'due diligence.'

Perhaps you should employ it prior to your next move.

In the meantime, I'm sure all of your neighbors will heave a collective sigh of relief once you're gone.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:29 AM

Since they don't speak English I doubt they'll know or care, but I will certainly do a happy dance when we can leave this county. The one neighbor that hates us hates everyone, so she won't be happy until she's the only one in the neighborhood.
We did make sure there was no HOA here, but we didn't read the county codes, which are worse than any HOA. Basket ball hoop has to be at the exact center of your garage, the cooler on the front porch we drag out for parties, which can't be seen from the street, is "outdoor storage" and prohibited, even though it was only there a couple of days. The plants on my front porch were "outdoor storage", prohibited, the bikes in the back yard were outdoor storage, prohibited, the kids' toys in the back yard, outdoor toys like slides and see saws, were "outdoor storage", prohibited, grudge enforcement even once called our backyard swingset and dog pen "outdoor storage." Has anyone ever kept their swingset or dog pen in the house?
It's a county for statists who are uncomfortable with personal freedom and thinking for themselves, and for liberals who like to force their lifestyles on everyone else to make sure no one else chooses a happier one.
We have six kids, we just wanted a home, not a house or an investment.
Anyway, we saw a lawyer about the citations and he said we're definitely being picked on, so maybe he can stop it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta