Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 09:42 AM

1,946 posts, read 7,374,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
MARTA has over 300 officers, making it a top 5 law enforcement agency in the state.
Thanks for that info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 10:49 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Hi everyone! I have never used Ãœber before. My college aged son wants to go see Kanye, and a bunch of other rappers in June with his frat "brahs" (or how ever you spell it) at Philips. I'm not a fan at ALL of "gangsta/trap" rap and the whole glorification of drugs, ghetto life, etc. As a matter of fact I hate it. This is coming from a former Chicagoan who went to more than her share of concerts and has had many varied experiences.

While I don't want to go further about the whole societal aspects of the music, I wanted to provide a context so you would know that I do not agree with it.

However, I do understand that my son is in college, and he is further honing his decision making capacities as we all do and continue to do. He's home for the summer doing an internship, he goes to a college out of state. He does not have his own car, and I don't want him to take one of ours. Transportation is an issue, we live in essentially the hinterlands.

So... I am mainly concerned with his safety. He mentioned last night taking the Marta. I laughed in his face. The Marta? On a weekend? After a rap concert with acts that are known for inciting essentially riots and fights? Do they even run that late? But anyway, that wouldnt work because we live no where close to a Marta station, at 20 miles or so away in deep rural/suburbia.

Is uber an option, I don't even know how it really works, just that you have the app and they come and get you.

Thanks!!!
Why not drop him at the nearest MARTA station and pick him up there after the concert? We've done that with our kids a number of times . MARTA is heavily policed and is at least as safe as driving through the streets.

I would imagine that with somebody like Kanye the majority of the audience will be kids cruising in from the burbs and a lot of them are bound to take the train.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Why not drop him at the nearest MARTA station and pick him up there after the concert? We've done that with our kids a number of times . MARTA is heavily policed and is at least as safe as driving through the streets.

I would imagine that with somebody like Kanye the majority of the audience will be kids cruising in from the burbs and a lot of them are bound to take the train.
Yeah, I was thinking about that, if he could tolerate me dropping him off lol. The whole mom as driver thing, I know he doesn't care for it. It's too bad that non driving young adults don't have more options in this area.

"When I was a kid..." , it was no problem if you didn't drive because public transportation in Chicago would quite literally take you anywhere or you could walk or bike. Sadly not in Fayette county where he will be coming from.

Last edited by oldhousegirl; 06-02-2015 at 12:21 PM..

Old 06-02-2015, 12:13 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
MARTA will be fine. I don't know if I'd walk to 5 Points at night now that I heard the construction has closed the back way and you have to walk several blocks to get there. Maybe when a concert is letting out there will be enough people to where it won't be an issue.

My biggest concern would be with the College Park station if he has to park far away. Probably just fine, but if you want to be extra safe, you can always have him park at the airport and take MARTA all the way down, just a bit past College Park. MARTA to a parked car at the airport is pretty much guaranteed to be safe, though he'll have to pay for parking.

I don't really know about rap concerts, but Philips is a great venue that is crowded and nothing bad will happen. One thing I've kind of learned over time is the more violent, sinister, and aggressive the metal band performing, the nicer the crowd. Honestly, I'd expect a higher chance of getting into a fight at a Muse or Imgaine Dragons show than Slayer or Cannibal Corpse.

The crowd will be fine, just kids.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Yeah, I was thinking about that, if he could tolerate me dropping him off lol. The whole mom as driver thing, I know he doesn't care for it.
He'd probably prefer that to dropping $200 on Uber!

Seriously, I don't think getting picked up at the train station has the same stigma as mom dropping you off at the high school dance. The latter situation seems a bit like chaperoning, whereas the former is just a ride.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:17 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
MARTA will be fine. I don't know if I'd walk to 5 Points at night now that I heard the construction has closed the back way and you have to walk several blocks to get there. Maybe when a concert is letting out there will be enough people to where it won't be an issue.

My biggest concern would be with the College Park station if he has to park far away. Probably just fine, but if you want to be extra safe, you can always have him park at the airport and take MARTA all the way down, just a bit past College Park. MARTA to a parked car at the airport is pretty much guaranteed to be safe, though he'll have to pay for parking.

I don't really know about rap concerts, but Philips is a great venue that is crowded and nothing bad will happen. One thing I've kind of learned over time is the more violent, sinister, and aggressive the metal band performing, the nicer the crowd. Honestly, I'd expect a higher chance of getting into a fight at a Muse or Imgaine Dragons show than Slayer or Cannibal Corpse.

The crowd will be fine, just kids.
CP has lot's of MARTA PD present to ensure the safety of vehicles parked. It is a very popular commuting station and airport parking station as well.

Old 06-02-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
CP has lot's of MARTA PD present to ensure the safety of vehicles parked. It is a very popular commuting station and airport parking station as well.
If it were me personally and my kid was coming in on the last train, I'd rather pick them up personally. Just for peace of mind.

MARTA itself is safe but I'm a little leery of parking lots (all parking lots) late at night. If it were the middle of the day I'd have no concerns.

Old 06-02-2015, 03:42 PM

Quote:
He'd probably prefer that to dropping $200 on Uber!

Seriously, I don't think getting picked up at the train station has the same stigma as mom dropping you off at the high school dance. The latter situation seems a bit like chaperoning, whereas the former is just a ride.
I agree. I have mentioned that in the past,"it's just a ride". No shame no shame .
Quote:
If it were me personally and my kid was coming in on the last train, I'd rather pick them up personally. Just for peace of mind.

MARTA itself is safe but I'm a little leery of parking lots (all parking lots) late at night. If it were the middle of the day I'd have no concerns.
Yup.

Old 06-02-2015, 05:17 PM

1,478 posts, read 1,725,066 times
I guess I don't have a kid in college, but I'd think a college aged kid would be just fine taking MARTA alone or with friends, and parking in the College Park lot (unless they were drinking, of course). I'm sure it's a parents instinct to be cautious, but I'm sure he'll be able to take care of himself in the big city A high school kid, yeah - better safe than sorry. But in college I'm sure he's doing things WAY more dangerous than parking at a MARTA station and taking the train when you're not around I know I was!

Old 06-02-2015, 05:34 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,785,358 times
A few of yall need to get out the house more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta