Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 11:19 AM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,879,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
Nope, I meant inside of all of the urban core, not just the City of Atlanta exclusively. This is a problem with many of the non-Atlanta locations as well.
DeKalb can't handle any higher residential density north of I-20.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 12:53 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,485,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
DeKalb can't handle any higher residential density north of I-20.
If they redevelop areas that have decline or are declining then that wouldn't be the case.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:25 PM
bu2

Quote:
If they redevelop areas that have decline or are declining then that wouldn't be the case.
You're missing my point. The area is strangling on traffic. There simply isn't the capacity for more people.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:07 AM

Quote:
You're missing my point. The area is strangling on traffic. There simply isn't the capacity for more people.
I knew what you meant, but that is due to their poor planning on road infrastructure. Some of the roads in that areas need to be straighten out and possible realigned, but that doesn't negate the room for increase density by upzoning some of the key corridors and commercial areas.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:36 AM
bu2

Quote:
I knew what you meant, but that is due to their poor planning on road infrastructure. Some of the roads in that areas need to be straighten out and possible realigned, but that doesn't negate the room for increase density by upzoning some of the key corridors and commercial areas.
If they do that first, they could support more density. But Decatur/Druid Hills are two of the toughest areas to sell that on. They're right in the middle of east/west and north/south movement.

Briarcliff, Clairmont, LaVista, North Druid Hills, Ponce de Leon and North Decatur all need improvements. There's also poor connectivity north-south because of I-85 and the railroad tracks. There needs to be something between Clairmont and 285. There are only a couple of narrow roads connecting Lawrenceville Hwy and LaVista, let alone I-85.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:38 AM
bu2

Some of those roads need to be widened, but I don't see that happening. They're doing the opposite.

All of the roads need more, longer left turn lanes and better signaling.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:42 AM

Quote:
If they do that first, they could support more density. But Decatur/Druid Hills are two of the toughest areas to sell that on. They're right in the middle of east/west and north/south movement.

Briarcliff, Clairmont, LaVista, North Druid Hills, Ponce de Leon and North Decatur all need improvements. There's also poor connectivity north-south because of I-85 and the railroad tracks. There needs to be something between Clairmont and 285. There are only a couple of narrow roads connecting Lawrenceville Hwy and LaVista, let alone I-85.
Well, this is where GDOT's investment in improving the road network comes into play. Most of the major corridors inside of the I-285 Perimeter are state routes or U.S. highways, which means they are under GDOT's control, so it's not much of a stretch for them to do this at all. DeKalb County has a number of long-range plans to upzone and place overlay zoning a variety of areas to encourage a variety of principal uses and mixed uses, but the implementation of these has been incremental due to their economic hardships in the past decade.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:48 AM
bu2

The left turn on Scott Street at Clairmont is backed up to the elementary school, a couple hundred yards every morning. It leads to a LOT of red light running and dangerous conditions, despite regular Decatur police patrols. North Decatur starting about 3 is backed up from Clairmont back beyond Druid Hills HS, about a half mile. People can't get out of their streets or driveways unless people are nice and let them-and it also leads to hazardous conditions with people trying to do left turns without being able to see clearly. Clairmont, North Druid Hills and LaVista are just awful around Toco Hills in morning and afternoon rush hour. Briarcliff is pretty much a parking lot, sometimes both directions, from North Druid Hills down beyond Ponce where it becomes Moreland.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:52 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:
The left turn on Scott Street at Clairmont is backed up to the elementary school, a couple hundred yards every morning. It leads to a LOT of red light running and dangerous conditions, despite regular Decatur police patrols. North Decatur starting about 3 is backed up from Clairmont back beyond Druid Hills HS, about a half mile. People can't get out of their streets or driveways unless people are nice and let them-and it also leads to hazardous conditions with people trying to do left turns without being able to see clearly. Clairmont, North Druid Hills and LaVista are just awful around Toco Hills in morning and afternoon rush hour. Briarcliff is pretty much a parking lot, sometimes both directions, from North Druid Hills down beyond Ponce where it becomes Moreland.
People should not be doing left turns in heavy traffic, across a double yellow line, if they cannot see on coming traffic. Just because someone waves you thru, the driver of the left turning car is responsible for yielding when entering a roadway.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:56 AM
bu2

Quote:
Well, this is where GDOT's investment in improving the road network comes into play. Most of the major corridors inside of the I-285 Perimeter are state routes or U.S. highways, which means they are under GDOT's control, so it's not much of a stretch for them to do this at all. DeKalb County has a number of long-range plans to upzone and place overlay zoning a variety of areas to encourage a variety of principal uses and mixed uses, but the implementation of these has been incremental due to their economic hardships in the past decade.
Well they have allowed Decatur to reduce lanes on Ponce and Clairmont. Briarcliff got some extra much needed sidewalks and an unneeded bike lane, but the only improvement for auto traffic was repaving. Brookhaven appears intent on allowing major development in Executive Park without any suggestions for improving the traffic flow there at N. Druid Hills, Briarcliff and I-85. Traffic there sometimes backs up through the various traffic lights from Briarcliff to the North side of I-85. The exit ramp off I-85S is dangerously short, creating a bad situation with crossing traffic between those exiting I-85 and those on the frontage road and sometimes backing traffic onto I-85.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta