Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 11:03 AM
bu2

24,097 posts, read 14,879,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
People should not be doing left turns in heavy traffic, across a double yellow line, if they cannot see on coming traffic. Just because someone waves you thru, the driver of the left turning car is responsible for yielding when entering a roadway.
I'm talking about residential streets where there is no double yellow line. The only way for people to get out of some of those streets is if someone lets them out (and usually people stop completely blocking the streets so you can't get in or out). The road is curvy, limiting visibility, and traffic also makes it hard to see vehicles coming from the other direction. North Decatur is the only way out of some of those neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 11:07 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,485,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Well they have allowed Decatur to reduce lanes on Ponce and Clairmont. Briarcliff got some extra much needed sidewalks and an unneeded bike lane, but the only improvement for auto traffic was repaving. Brookhaven appears intent on allowing major development in Executive Park without any suggestions for improving the traffic flow there at N. Druid Hills, Briarcliff and I-85. Traffic there sometimes backs up through the various traffic lights from Briarcliff to the North side of I-85. The exit ramp off I-85S is dangerously short, creating a bad situation with crossing traffic between those exiting I-85 and those on the frontage road and sometimes backing traffic onto I-85.
The Brookhaven situation sound like textbook example of the municipality not talking with GDOT and the County on the potential impacts the development would have on the infrastructure. It seems like a number of municipalities does this with annexed islands or peninsulas of land where they plan on developing in this region.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:14 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Regionalism makes sense on certain aspects of water and transportation planning, but otherwise I lean toward local government. Small governments tend to be more flexible, adaptable and accountable.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Regionalism makes sense on certain aspects of water and transportation planning, but otherwise I lean toward local government. Small governments tend to be more flexible, adaptable and accountable.
Uh, no they are not... I've seen more unaccountable actions, unable to adapt, and inflexibility with the smaller governments than larger ones. Another reason why they can get away with these things because nobody is paying attention to them especially the local media.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:10 AM

73,008 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
Uh, no they are not... I've seen more unaccountable actions, unable to adapt, and inflexibility with the smaller governments than larger ones. Another reason why they can get away with these things because nobody is paying attention to them especially the local media.
One thing that I believe is this. Alot of the smaller governments are out of touch with what some of the residents might want. Regionalism could work out if more people want it. If more people paid attention, then there would indeed be more things done. A metro of 5.5 million people should have a more united transportation system than it has.

This is I believe the metro should be run. Bigger services like transportation, need to be run by the region. Education should be run by smaller governments. Certain services should be allocated to a regional role. Others should be allocated to the municipalities.

One other change to consider is how municipalities are done. Take Kennesaw for example. Much of what seems like Kennesaw is unincorporated Cobb County. It's more developed than the actually city. I'm wondering if it would be better for all places with "mailing address Kennesaw" to be incorporated into the city of Kennesaw, and places with "Marietta mailing address" to have the same thing?

Old 06-10-2015, 09:16 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,120,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post

One other change to consider is how municipalities are done. Take Kennesaw for example. Much of what seems like Kennesaw is unincorporated Cobb County. It's more developed than the actually city. I'm wondering if it would be better for all places with "mailing address Kennesaw" to be incorporated into the city of Kennesaw, and places with "Marietta mailing address" to have the same thing?
That's a contrivance of the Post Office more than anything else.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
That's a contrivance of the Post Office more than anything else.
Well sort of, I used to be a GIS analysis whom worked with the addressing of individual properties and the delivery of that updated information to E-911 and US Postal Service. I remember working with now-archived historical shapefiles created by the US Census Bureau and US Postal Service for local areas used by counties and municipalities. In the past, the US Postal service attempted to name places after individual locales. Due to contractions of their services and number of post office locations over the years, they just simply consolidated many places under the umbrella of the nearest incorporated place or county seat to save money.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:02 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,361,554 times
Wow, if postal zones were incorporated, Marietta, Jonesboro, Fairburn, College Park, Decatur, Fayetteville, lots of places in the metro would suddenly have 100,000 to 200,000 people! Holy annexations Bat Man!

Old 06-10-2015, 10:04 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,361,554 times
Incorporating all postal zones would also make Vinings, Cumberland, Druid Hills, and most of the Northlake area City of Atlanta.

Old 06-11-2015, 01:35 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,130,644 times
Yeah, the mailing addresses v. city limits thing is a result of USPS actions, not the State of Georgia. For instance, I used to live in "Decatur", but closer to the City of Stockbridge than the City of Decatur. Here in Dunwoody (and I'd wager most locations near or inside the Perimeter), we can use "Atlanta" as a mailing address.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
Incorporating all postal zones would also make Vinings, Cumberland, Druid Hills, and most of the Northlake area City of Atlanta.
Well, that solves the "MARTA to Cumberland" problem, at least.

- skbl17
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta