Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 07:57 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,308,228 times

Advertisements

All I am saying is, can someone please, please...tell these Georgia conservatives to stop being jerks? I mean seriously, the civil war is over. Let go of the mental bullcrap.

Let's start progressing for humanity's sake.

Put forth and fully support a decent transportation referendum for Pete's sake!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 08:03 AM

73,002 posts, read 62,578,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Pretty much not a damn thing, unless it's luring a new relocation with a LOT of incentives. Deal jets up to D.C. with Mayor Reed in tow to beg for money to deepen the Savannah River for Panamax, but then comes home the next day and trashes the Affordable Care Act.

It's become quite sad to witness. The entire State Government seems to run on appeasing the wants and needs of the business community, and absolutely nothing else.

It barely resembles the State you once knew, with folks like Tom Murphy that actually cared about the general well-being and future of Georgia. Their adamant rejection of the ACA is now causing rural Hospitals to close.

Deal is a corrupt crook, and Sonny Bubba was a complete idiot.
And hypocrisy to boot. Begging for money to deepen the Savannah river, but disregarding the Affordable Care Act. Hypocrisy.

I didn't vote for Deal when the elections were held in 2010 and 2014. I voted for Barnes the first time. Carter the second time. So far, neither candidate I wanted won. In 2006 I voted for Taylor. He lost. I was too young to vote when Perdue won the first time around. If Barnes had won, there might have been more efficiency in the public transportation system today. However, the confederate flag seemed to take more priority over a decent transportation system. And some people hate mass transit. I know one police officer who referred to MARTA as 'the perp train".

Old 06-02-2015, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
All I am saying is, can someone please, please...tell these Georgia conservatives to stop being jerks? I mean seriously, the civil war is over. Let go of the mental bullcrap.

Let's start progressing for humanity's sake.

Put forth and fully support a decent transportation referendum for Pete's sake!!!!!
I used to be a frequent poster around 2007-2008, when I was known as pirate_lafitte. It angered me alot that the transportation system in Atlanta worked the way it did. It bothered me alot that the way of doing things made things inefficient. One thing that floored me even more was the attitudes from some people. This was one major reason I wanted to leave Georgia altogether. I'm still here though.

For instance, I would run into people who would not be concerned about the public transportation system. One thing they would mention is "crime". Portland metropolitan area has made leaps and bounds with its transportation system and crime isn't a huge issue there.

Today, I'm at a point where I understand that many things won't change. At the risk of an inefficiency, there are those who would rather remain in that civil war mentality. The more metropolitan Atlanta changes, the more Georgia changes, the more some people are holding on to that mentality you describe.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:30 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,308,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I used to be a frequent poster around 2007-2008, when I was known as pirate_lafitte. It angered me alot that the transportation system in Atlanta worked the way it did. It bothered me alot that the way of doing things made things inefficient. One thing that floored me even more was the attitudes from some people. This was one major reason I wanted to leave Georgia altogether. I'm still here though.

For instance, I would run into people who would not be concerned about the public transportation system. One thing they would mention is "crime". Portland metropolitan area has made leaps and bounds with its transportation system and crime isn't a huge issue there.

Today, I'm at a point where I understand that many things won't change. At the risk of an inefficiency, there are those who would rather remain in that civil war mentality. The more metropolitan Atlanta changes, the more Georgia changes, the more some people are holding on to that mentality you describe.
Great points.

And it's not even so much the conservatives that tick me off...as it is the former State Rep Mike Jacobs-style moderates who know better...but still play along with the nutbag conservatives anyways...when it's convenient and lucrative to do so.

These moderates have been enabling this foolishness for too long. And then suddenly "see the light" when they see how far down the road to hades they have allowed the train to travel.

It's such a cynical strategy. And yet people seem to either don't see it or simply look past it for political reasons.

I just keep wondering how long are those of us who know better...are going to continue this zero-sum/pseudo-speak/Fox News-style gotcha game...before we actually decide to move the needle on some sort of transportation measure.

My hair is already thinning at the temples. I pray that something happens before I see a gray hair.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:44 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,857,747 times
Quote:
Also look at the demographics of Portland.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:54 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,118,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
And Here. We. Go.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:55 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,857,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
And Here. We. Go.
I am not trying to start any race discussion, but when it should be noted that Portland is not very diverse, except when it comes to facial hair.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Great points.

And it's not even so much the conservatives that tick me off...as it is the former State Rep Mike Jacobs-style moderates who know better...but still play along with the nutbag conservatives anyways...when it's convenient and lucrative to do so.

These moderates have been enabling this foolishness for too long. And then suddenly "see the light" when they see how far down the road to hades they have allowed the train to travel.

It's such a cynical strategy. And yet people seem to either don't see it or simply look past it for political reasons.

I just keep wondering how long are those of us who know better...are going to continue this zero-sum/pseudo-speak/Fox News-style gotcha game...before we actually decide to move the needle on some sort of transportation measure.

My hair is already thinning at the temples. I pray that something happens before I see a gray hair.
I haven't gotten grey hair yet. However, I've found myself losing my temper and saying things like "I hate this place" several times when I was in my early 20s. If you remember any posts I made back in the mid-late 2000s, some of them were tinged with some anger. Nowadays, I feel like complaining won't get me the results I look for.

In my opinion, many of the moderates seem too content to change certain things. If not content, at the least, fearful of challenging things. It's a matter of pleasing whomever one can please.

I've often wondered why and how Georgia can work the way it does. North Fulton and South Fulton feud. Other counties feud with Fulton and DeKalb. Clayton County lost its accreditation some time ago. Metro Atlanta is huge and dynamic. At the same time, it feels held together with shoestring. It does not work efficiently. No cohesiveness. No cohesiveness in the state either. When Perdue ran the state, I felt like there was an anti-Atlanta bias going on. Ironic considering Atlanta is the CAPITAL of Georgia and that is where the governor lives while in office.

Interstate 20 is full of potholes from Douglas County into western Fulton County. I have to wonder why that is. Last time I checked, this isn't Michigan where it snows all year. Last I checked, there was hardly any snow this year. Why the potholes?

I'm undecided on whether or not I will attend a baseball game at the future Suntrust Park, where the Braves will soon play. I find it quite strange that Cobb County will lay off so many teachers, but there is no problem in funding a new stadium will will cost billions. The same county that refused MARTA rail(not the same as MARTA bus) several times.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
And? Why shouldn't metro Atlanta have some efficiency and actually having things like public transportation run the way it should, instead of this feudalistic mentality?

Old 06-02-2015, 09:04 AM

Regionalism would make things better. However, I don't know if it will come into fruition. There is too much "us vs them" going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta