Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2015, 06:52 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,161,333 times

Advertisements

Hopefully the issues the neighbors have can be resolved....
Quote:
A little more than a year after it was proposed, a $300 million plan to redevelop Atlanta’s Turner Field is generating more friction — this time with neighborhoods surrounding the ballpark.
The redevelopment, which could turn the Braves stadium in downtown Atlanta into a mix of student housing, stores, restaurants and athletic fields, is already caught in a political disagreement between Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed and Fulton County Commission Chairman John Eaves. The project faced a new hurdle Tuesday night when presented to the neighborhoods.

The neighborhoods want more say over what goes into the development, including the possibility of more single-family housing. Some residents now object to the idea of adding more athletic facilities.
$300 million Turner Field redevelopment plan strikes out with neighbors - Atlanta Business Chronicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 07:04 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,377,156 times
Restore the street grid and build houses and townhouses with retail/café space below in some of them.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:30 AM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times
Georgia St.'s proposal is the one most likely to succeed. And it helps downtown as well by putting more Georgia St. facilities nearby.

I can understand the neighbors' concerns, but its way better than what they have now.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:32 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
Restore the street grid and build houses and townhouses with retail/café space below in some of them.
What to do about the stadium? I like GSU's plan because it preserves Turner Field and restores AFCS, while bringing in housing, retail, and office space.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:33 AM

5,242 posts, read 6,235,222 times
I can see their concerns.

Just hope this isn't the same neighborhood groups that have been involved in squandering funds in the past.

Quote:
“None of us want to live on frat row,” said Kelly Howard, a Summerhill resident since 1997. She said she wants to see grocers such as Whole Foods or a Publix, and specialty retailers and restaurants seen in communities like Vinings and Virginia-Highland.
Developers, Georgia State get earful at Turner Field meeting | www.ajc.com

I wish people would stop wanting Whole Foods everywhere. It is totally inappropriate for that area. It wouldn't do much to effectively end the food desert status since only wealthy people can afford to shop there.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:39 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,961,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post

Just hope this isn't the same neighborhood groups that have been involved in squandering funds in the past.

I wish people would stop wanting Whole Foods everywhere. It is totally inappropriate for that area. It wouldn't do much to effectively end the food desert status since only wealthy people can afford to shop there.
And does she not understand how the specialty retailers in VaHi and Vinings follow a certain demographic?? A demographic NOT found in and around Summerhill.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:40 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post

Can't they be happy with the new mega Kroger being built at Glennwood. Whole Foods does not fit into every area with the price of their foods.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:42 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,116,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
And does she not understand how the specialty retailers in VaHi and Vinings follow a certain demographic?? A demographic NOT found in and around Summerhill.
But is found in Grant Park and is rapidly spreading westward.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:44 AM

72 posts, read 70,504 times
I'm mad at myself for missing this meeting! Though I think the development plans for the area are much better than what we have now, I certainly don't want it to be an area solely focused on college students. I wouldn't mind nice shops, bars grocers and restaurants that attract people from all over the city. We do in fact live in one of the largest urban areas in America.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:44 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,377,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
What to do about the stadium? I like GSU's plan because it preserves Turner Field and restores AFCS, while bringing in housing, retail, and office space.
I suppose it might work. I dislike stadiums in city neighborhoods (my own opinion). What I stated was a dream scenario in which the stadium was demolished and the neighborhood returned to whole. Atlanta needs something to stimulate residential growth on the southside, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta