Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 12:01 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,785,620 times

Advertisements

You are probably going to have to try private owners of rentals. I know that there are duplex neigborhoods along Five-forks Trickum in Lawranceville in which some units have pit-Bulls (whether or not this is with the landlords permission is another question). I have twice rented to folks that had Pitbulls without permission--and actually the dogs were not that bad--but their owners were worse than awful. Just check Craig's list and email your info above--you sound responsible, so someone may give it a try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 12:20 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,785,620 times
Thinking about it--another thing to consider--is to post in "the housing wanted" section of craigslist and include your information above--and say that you are willing to take an unrefurbished rental--saying you will clean and provide your own carpet. One of the worries a landlord would have--is spending money on new carpet, paint and cleaning--and having a dog trash it in a month. But, if you could get a rental that needs new carpet, but were willing to move in without it/furnish your own carpet--it might make it seem less risky for the landlord. Not saying this is a brilliant idea--just trying to "think outside the box" a little.

Old 06-05-2015, 12:20 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,821,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
That will make it nearly impossible to find any upper tier apartments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OuiOui View Post
You'll need to look for a private landlord who rents townhomes in non-HOA neighborhoods. That would be your best bet. You will have an extremely difficult time trying to find an apartment or management company that will allow pits.

I think pretty much what both of them said.

It's not like in Florida (if memory serves abour the state) where it's really difficult to have one, but you've picked a tough row to hoe if you're looking for a corporate-owned apartment that is willing to risk, if nothign else, the potential insurance rate increases of specifically stating you can have a pit bull on their property;

It will be more work, but you will probably have a whole lot more success getting a private rental with a fenced in yard.

I am a dog person, but I tend to stick to small dogs. For the most part, I don't fear perceived aggressive breeds, but we all have our limits, and I'm certain many people, expecially with children, have much more stringent ones than mine. As long as you can handle your dog, then I would not have a problem but in the grand scheme of things they are animals. I had a neighbors kitten bite me on the finger the other day while I was dozed off on the sofa with my hand dangling and apparently swinging back and forth while waitin gfor the food to get grill. Things happen.

My dog is a miniature poodle and her best neighborhood dog friend is a roughly 75 lb. lab. I tried to keep him off the back of my property but he still hopped over the fence, came up the back deck, and knocked on the window for her to come out and play. I couldn't even believe it the first time it happenned.

I guess my point is, you need a private rental to avoid things that a corporate place would not tolerate.

Old 06-05-2015, 03:08 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
May I suggest that in cases like this that it is often better to ask for forgiveness later than permission now?

If you rent an apartment, even if they have writing against certain breeds, they will probably not ask you to leave if they discover that you have a well behaved pitbull and you are a good tenant. However, if you bring it up at the beginning, they are likely to say no.

Old 06-06-2015, 08:54 AM

246 posts, read 316,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Thinking about it--another thing to consider--is to post in "the housing wanted" section of craigslist and include your information above--and say that you are willing to take an unrefurbished rental--saying you will clean and provide your own carpet. One of the worries a landlord would have--is spending money on new carpet, paint and cleaning--and having a dog trash it in a month. But, if you could get a rental that needs new carpet, but were willing to move in without it/furnish your own carpet--it might make it seem less risky for the landlord. Not saying this is a brilliant idea--just trying to "think outside the box" a little.
This is a creative idea. Or you could offer a larger pet deposit. I found a rental that didn't have any information on pets, but I offered up a deposit to the landlords, described my pet, and they were cool with letting me have a pet then. Some of the rental ads I see are not very specific or well thought out, so you always have to ask. A landlord would probably take someone with a great rental history and credit with a pet versus someone with no pets who they will have to evict later.

Now, if your rental history is spotty and your credit not great, you may have a tough time negotiating something like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta