Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 10:47 AM

20,500 posts, read 33,308,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
To be fair with the high speed rail, it's not like there are two fast growing 6+ million person metros in the state of Georgia. This comes back to the point I was making earlier. Dallas and Houston have the advantage over Atlanta of being in a more dynamic state.

I hate to be mean about it and further prove the point you and Bu2 make, but it's true. Georgia pretty much sucks outside of Atlanta and Savannah. It does. Savannah is the only city that actually has higher percentage job growth than Atlanta does. Just about every other metro underperforms.

And why does Atlanta have to have an affinity for rural culture to succeed? It's funny because it still doesn't stop people from calling Dallas boring(which it is because I was just there back in July). I think Atlanta has a lot more culture than Dallas does. The cowboy culture is incredibly overrated.
Not in the slightest because the vast majority of this country is very ignorant of it. I also don't find Dallas boring. Maybe if you got out of the car and explored the area, you wouldn't have come to that conclusion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 01:19 PM

6,840 posts, read 10,882,821 times
Here's an update.

I expect Miami/Fort Lauderdale MSA to move up to the 7th spot next year for the 2016 lists and rankings. Then by Census 2020, Atlanta should be moving into the 8th spot, as noted earlier it is confirmed the Atlanta area is beginning an acceleration year-over-year.

That bodes well for its rankings to move up relatively fast:

Old 03-27-2016, 08:06 PM

346 posts, read 385,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Like someone said, it all goes back to the Texas pride and culture that all of it's cities share.
I think Texas has great cities, but that Texas identity thing would get a little old for me after a while. For example, it seems like almost every TV station in the state has the Texas star in its logo.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:00 AM

396 posts, read 598,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yep; there's just not much that's distinct about Georgia culture as a whole.
a lot of what runs the economy in the cities here depends (or once depended) on the land - the oil wealth built these cities to what they are today. dallas and houston ARE texan through and through.

atlanta is mostly its own thing and it's become what it is mostly on its own, in spite of the state its in. (as nice as parts of GA are outside the city)

Old 03-28-2016, 10:33 AM
bu2

23,845 posts, read 14,623,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Now this is just getting very very very funny

Do you want me to go outside and take a picture of Texas right now? I litteally have dozen of cousins, aunt, uncles in Texas. In fact General family is mail divide Texas, Georgia, Mississippi and Chicago. I spent about half life in Texas, Graduated in Texas, Your not speaking to a random dude, I rep Texas which is again why it's in my username.

But I have a lot of questions right now yall don't have to answer.
Are yall white and listen to country?
Are yall over 40 and 50 hang out with a less diverse demographic of people? Again yall don't have to Answer.
Did you actually grow up around a diverse background but how many people of minority background did or have you ever known?

Didn't notice your response until just now. Yes, I'm "white" and old. I almost never listen to country music. I personally don't have a cowboy hat and boots, but make sure I always have at least one western shirt. I wonder if you hang out with a diverse group or just a bunch of your Black friends. In addition to Dallas and Austin I lived in San Antonio and Houston where it would be impossible to isolate yourself from diversity if you tried. So yes, I know tons of minorities, including my grandfather whose first language was Spanish and always spoke with a thick accent.

Also the Stuff yall mention are going to specific events that not surprising it's like going to a club and being surprise you saw a girl in short shorts. You freakin went to a rodeo itself your not going to see cowboy hats and boots normally walking around the mall.

Well I don't recall cowboy hats and boots in Northpark Mall, but saw them plenty in less pretentious malls.

Yes the Cowboy stuff is predominantly white and the main people who like it are into country music yall can't even admit that where are we even going with this? No minorities are not into the Cowboy that much you probably have more black Republicans in Texas than Blacks into the Cowboy stuff. I never said no minorities are into it and I agree with spade but it's pretty much overwhelming predominantly white thing.

See plenty of Hispanics with cowboy hats and boots. Maybe few Blacks are into it, but unlike Georgia, that's only 10% of the population, so its a relatively small sub-group.

As far Pride that's a straw man I said Texas has a lot of pride I rep Texas hard but it isn't center around no dang cowboy stuff wtf. And someone visiting the Alamo doesn't mean they into cowboy stuff. It's a public monument. First off a lot of younger people are not into history and stuff. Not just Texas but anywhere. So they can care less about what they learn in History just being real.

Yall was saying Transplants in general come to Texas and become into the rural culture........... no. They like they're cities or what ever but they don't care about rural Texas.

But Texas is so diverse and people are into so many things you can't put it in a box.
As for the rest, we will just have to agree to disagree.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:38 AM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
a lot of what runs the economy in the cities here depends (or once depended) on the land - the oil wealth built these cities to what they are today. dallas and houston ARE texan through and through.

atlanta is mostly its own thing and it's become what it is mostly on its own, in spite of the state its in. (as nice as parts of GA are outside the city)
Atlanta has a remarkably diverse economy. It doesn't have as much agricultural related industries as you would think, given the productivity of South Georgia with the peaches, pecans, onions and cotton. The railroads were originally driven by that, but now its seems like its Atlanta's central location that makes it a distribution point for the entire southeast for a wide variety of products.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:20 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,258,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Yes the Cowboy stuff is predominantly white and the main people who like it are into country music yall can't even admit that where are we even going with this? No minorities are not into the Cowboy that much you probably have more black Republicans in Texas than Blacks into the Cowboy stuff. I never said no minorities are into it and I agree with spade but it's pretty much overwhelming predominantly white thing.
I agree with all your qualifications here, and I'm sure you know this, but black cowboys have a long tradition in Texas.

https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/arb01

That legacy continues, though no doubt more in rural areas. My brother and I were the only white members of an otherwise all-black horse club that toured parades and rodeos every summer throughout southwest Oklahoma and North Texas in the late 60s and 70s. That seems like a lifetime and a world away now, but I don't think it's died out yet.

Austin

Old 03-28-2016, 04:00 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
I agree with all your qualifications here, and I'm sure you know this, but black cowboys have a long tradition in Texas.

That legacy continues, though no doubt more in rural areas. My brother and I were the only white members of an otherwise all-black horse club that toured parades and rodeos every summer throughout southwest Oklahoma and North Texas in the late 60s and 70s. That seems like a lifetime and a world away now, but I don't think it's died out yet.

Austin
There's a picture on the 2nd page-couldn't tell which of the trail rides it was.
https://houstonhistorymagazine.org/w...des-Valdes.pdf

Old 03-28-2016, 09:55 PM

2,831 posts, read 4,560,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
Here's an update.

I expect Miami/Fort Lauderdale MSA to move up to the 7th spot next year for the 2016 lists and rankings. Then by Census 2020, Atlanta should be moving into the 8th spot, as noted earlier it is confirmed the Atlanta area is beginning an acceleration year-over-year.

That bodes well for its rankings to move up relatively fast:
I wonder which one of these metro's are being over-counted, my bet is on Miami.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:50 PM

4,819 posts, read 6,045,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post

Austin
I never said there wasn't any black cowboys historically I was saying modernly and it's out the normal. It's an small segment compared to the relative population. What spark this debate is when a posters started to claim transplants to Texas embrace the history of Texas and country more than transplants do with Georgia and southern culture. And that's false. Also my post isn't anti cowboy stuff I'm not trying to be that. but my point was DFW and Houston are no more less or pro country than ATL. If anything they probably more cosmopolitan. Buford Hwy on a larger scale.

Let me flip the scenario

Banjo

The Banjo instrument actually come from West Africa. Historically it was associate with the Blues. But even more with Blues Grass music. Historically Blacks also liked Blue grass music. But how popular do you think Blues Grass and The Banjo is to younger Blacks under 40 who grew up listening to Hip Hop, R&B, even Black gospel. Maybe Rock, reggae, EDM and etc. It's not very popular.

There are over 800,000 Blacks in DFW. can find you find Blacks in cowboy stuff maybe, likely no. Yall posting these stuff is the exception not the commonality.

I just google polar bear car, randomly and look I found dozens of pictures of polar bears near cars. Posters posting pictures of Black Cowboys stuff like that's common for Black people to be into that.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/...08_634x395.jpg

The argument was DFW transplants generally come to DFW and embrace cowboy come stuff that just false. I never said it doesn't exist but it like saying Georgian and Atlanta into country stuff.

Last edited by chiatldal; 03-28-2016 at 11:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta