U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 03:43 PM
bu2

18,123 posts, read 8,898,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
They other cities are not as close and don't have the subdivisions on top of each other.

I guess you haven't been to the area, but Montgomery County MD ("DC") borders Howard ("Baltimore")
and PG county borders Anne Arundel in the same manner. Subdivisions and offices overlap. It's not like some other regions where there is a gap of space of mainly farmland.
There's still some green space on I-95 between the two which is the area where they most overlap.

SA-Austin and Atlanta-Athens are further apart, but the MSAs border each other and people from both work in the other. People in Barrow, Walton and Oconee work in both areas. Same with New Braunfels (San Antonio) and San Marcos (Austin) whose city limits are only about 3 miles from each other. Not that DC/Baltimore aren't more that way, but its a matter of degree. DC/Baltimore is not like DFW where they blend for 40 miles north to south from Collin County(N of Dallas) to Denton County (N of Ft. Worth) and then Dallas County to Tarrant County (Ft. Worth).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 05:51 PM

4,489 posts, read 4,818,659 times
Quote:
Part of my point is that this is meaningless in the real world. Most people know that DC and Baltimore are one big market for business purposes. I lived there in the 90s and the development between was significant and there was a lot of new stuff happening. Cincy has had modest growth and Dayton has struggled for decades and neither is near the size of the DC or Bay areas.
It's not quit the same thing, As DFW....

In Dallas-Fort Worth everything is market as such, on the news they don't say good morning Dallas or Good morning Fort Worth..... They straight up say up Good Morning Dallas-Fort Worth or North Texas.

Example

https://lh5.ggpht.com/rXwaQgTly_QGfg...5ExPnxXnI=w300

There even a cultural term referring cities between... The Mid Cities.
Mid-Cities - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As you can see Dallas and Fort Worth have their own "perimeter hwy"s each but The Mid cities are so web with multiple Hwys connection them it's one giant thing.

https://www.dfwairport.com/cs/groups.../p1_062598.jpg

That don't happen with DC and Baltimore they separate not to say there isn't a connection but there's reasons it's a CSA instead of a MSA. They might be similar distance but it's not as socioculturally united. Dallas and Fort Worth have separate identities as cities but have a completely unified identity as a metro.

DC and Baltimore are like Atlanta and Athens but a with major size difference. How Athens is but isn't the Atlanta area.

Example

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...8fa899dce7.jpg
Example

http://tiptopwebsite.com/photos4/hopepeace/fox.png

Last edited by chiatldal; 06-05-2015 at 06:09 PM..

Old 06-05-2015, 06:08 PM

5,102 posts, read 6,298,109 times
I understand what you are saying but DMAs are not definitions of markets in any other context than TV.
I'm also not suggesting that DFW is not truly one large market. I'm only adding that DC and Baltimore are intertwined enough that they are too - in reality.

Old 06-05-2015, 06:40 PM

15,017 posts, read 24,044,942 times
This is what matters:

List of primary statistical areas of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-05-2015, 07:07 PM

Quote:
I understand what you are saying but DMAs are not definitions of markets in any other context than TV.
I'm also not suggesting that DFW is not truly one large market. I'm only adding that DC and Baltimore are intertwined enough that they are too - in reality.
MSA and CSA aren't just numbers, those numbers are base on reality. The reality is people don't commute the rate of a MSA that interaction. It have some that why it's a CSA.

Also I didn't think you did.... DFW share every, everything is branded DFW. ying and yang you not will forget.

Also it's not just a market they strongly socioculturally united. I just posted the news because it the context of sharing For DC and Baltimore,

what happen in DC is DC.... what in happen Baltimore is Baltimore... people in either city don't care much about the other.

Where's in DFW the attitude is completely different everything is wired and shared. TV, radio, Marketed Branding, the actual commuting. One thing. Their version of ARC is NCTCOG one Thing. They're completely intertwine.

I'm doing this because it's common for people here on city data to compare close cities or cities in a CSA to MSA when not their same thing.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Too large of a scale and with weaker ties.

MSA is more appropriate. because it's Metropolitan.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:18 PM

19,380 posts, read 28,975,421 times
Quote:
Yes they have their on TV DMAs and that works, but their economies are intertwined. DC's jobs and the gov't are very much part of the Baltimore metro and BWI is very much used by residents of "DC" area residents.
There is no middle county between the metros. If Baltimore didn't exit, DC sprawl would have taken up Baltimore's southern counties and its northern ones would be exurbs.
Lots of DC residents use it because it is closer to them then the other airports and it's the closest international airport as well to them. Also, it's cheaper(ish) as well. But for you to use BWI, you would have to leave the Washington metro area and travel to the Baltimore metro area. That's why the itinerary says Baltimore, Maryland and excludes Washington on there. Well the last time I flew from BWI.

Quote:
I'm also not suggesting that DFW is not truly one large market.
It honestly really is. They share far more or are intertwined far more than Baltimore and Washington.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:21 PM
bu2

18,123 posts, read 8,898,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Didn't realize some of these CSAs were so odd. Trenton, NJ, inside Philadelphia's loop, is part of the NY CSA. Sherman, TX and Durant, OK part of DFW? Jefferson part of Atlanta?

Its more of an area of influence, like a DMA or a newspaper's circulation area. Its not necessarily closely tied economically.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:26 PM

19,380 posts, read 28,975,421 times
I personally like UA's. All have their flaws. But I like UA's and MSA's better than CSA's.

Old 06-05-2015, 07:34 PM

34,591 posts, read 31,909,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Didn't realize some of these CSAs were so odd. Trenton, NJ, inside Philadelphia's loop, is part of the NY CSA. Sherman, TX and Durant, OK part of DFW? Jefferson part of Atlanta?

Its more of an area of influence, like a DMA or a newspaper's circulation area. Its not necessarily closely tied economically.
Just the opposite: PMSAs measure economic connectivity only, using commuter rates. DMA, newspaper circulation, cultural ties, etc. don't factor in. This is why Hilton Head-Beaufort isn't part of the Savannah CSA--not enough folks crossing the state line for work, although they share an airport, DMA, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta