Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2015, 04:28 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,863,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
A 40 minutes/40 mile drive down a 4 lane divided US highway to Cordele and a 45 minute/40 mile drive down a 4 lane mostly divided US highway to Tifton all of which is across a sparsely populated rural landscape with little traffic.

It doesn't get much easier than that.

The road you are suggesting would cost a few billion, serves relatively few people, and serves places that have little traffic on large state and federal roads.

I just don't understand this mindset that a road is worthless for travel if isn't an interstate.
You haven't driven all those county roads like I have. You get from Albany to I-10 through Camilla, Hopeful, Bainbridge and Chattahoochee. And try driving Columbus-Eufaula-Dothan to I-10 to get to the Florida coast. Not as bad as I-10 to Albany, but lots of stop lights and lots of small towns. And maybe you haven't gone from Tifton to Tallahassee. You have to go completely through Thomasville, although you can bypass Moultrie.

And on a long trip, there is a big difference between driving 55 and driving 70.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 04:32 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,764,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
You haven't driven all those county roads like I have. You get from Albany to I-10 through Camilla, Hopeful, Bainbridge and Chattahoochee. And try driving Columbus-Eufaula-Dothan to I-10 to get to the Florida coast. Not as bad as I-10 to Albany, but lots of stop lights and lots of small towns. And maybe you haven't gone from Tifton to Tallahassee. You have to go completely through Thomasville, although you can bypass Moultrie.
I have driven to Tallahassee from Tifton. I have driven to Albany.

It was easy. There was no traffic... actually in large parts there was close to no traffic.

The only time I had to slow down was going through a handful of small towns.

I hardly see the reason to spend a few billion on interstate corridors, especially after the state has funneled so much money to South Georgia at the expense of other parts of the state through the GRIP program.

Old 06-12-2015, 04:34 PM

Quote:
And on a long trip, there is a big difference between driving 55 and driving 70.

That is a sorry reason for spending billions to link together towns that don't have that many people to begin with.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:38 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times
Quote:
That is a sorry reason for spending billions to link together towns that don't have that many people to begin with.
Perhaps Georgia should take a page from Texas and raise the speed limit on rural US highways to 70. Building limited access bypasses around the larger towns could be a nice compromise as well. Came back from St. Simons to Hogansville last summer via Corridor X, having the limited access around Albany really helped.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:57 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,359,435 times
319 from Tifton to Moultrie, better watch out for Omega AND Norman Park! There is no good way from Moultrie to Albany in my opinion; you never know when you will get trapped behind a big truck or tractor on a one lane country highway. Tallahassee is a MUCH better drive down 319 and quicker too, and it is farther.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:06 AM
bu2

Quote:
I have driven to Tallahassee from Tifton. I have driven to Albany.

It was easy. There was no traffic... actually in large parts there was close to no traffic.

The only time I had to slow down was going through a handful of small towns.

I hardly see the reason to spend a few billion on interstate corridors, especially after the state has funneled so much money to South Georgia at the expense of other parts of the state through the GRIP program.
I will agree that it seems south Georgia has gotten a bigger portion of the state's highway money. Just as Atlanta gets a bigger portion of the higher education resources (5 research universities-Georgia Tech, Georgia State, UGA, Kennesaw St. and Georgia Regents in Augusta-none south of I-20).

But again, my idea is to help Atlanta as well and relieve the very heavily travelled I-75 corridor. A good portion of this would simply be upgrades as right of way in places already exists and any completely new portion would be tolled. Much of the Florida portion and the west bypass are already seriously discussed.

Old 06-13-2015, 01:00 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,911,505 times
Quote:
I will agree that it seems south Georgia has gotten a bigger portion of the state's highway money. Just as Atlanta gets a bigger portion of the higher education resources (5 research universities-Georgia Tech, Georgia State, UGA, Kennesaw St. and Georgia Regents in Augusta-none south of I-20).

But again, my idea is to help Atlanta as well and relieve the very heavily travelled I-75 corridor. A good portion of this would simply be upgrades as right of way in places already exists and any completely new portion would be tolled. Much of the Florida portion and the west bypass are already seriously discussed.
Kennesaw State isn't a research university yet.

Last edited by therealpattman; 06-13-2015 at 01:11 PM..

Old 06-13-2015, 02:12 PM

Quote:

USG Institutions - University System of Georgia

Kennesaw isn't a research university.

It is the same status as Valdosta State University and Georgia Southern University.

It has done extremely well from the sheer demand that exist in the Atlanta area. Over half the state's population is there. Once you include rural north Georgia and Middle Georgia cities that amount goes really up quite a bit.

The issue is the route you're talking about doesn't help Atlanta or cities north of us at all. Regionally most traffic heading to the I-10 corridor will go further east or west.

Tallahassee and Panama City are just not large destinations and Tallahassee is easy to get to on GRIP corridors.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:29 AM
bu2

Quote:
USG Institutions - University System of Georgia

Kennesaw isn't a research university.

It is the same status as Valdosta State University and Georgia Southern University.

It has done extremely well from the sheer demand that exist in the Atlanta area. Over half the state's population is there. Once you include rural north Georgia and Middle Georgia cities that amount goes really up quite a bit.

The issue is the route you're talking about doesn't help Atlanta or cities north of us at all. Regionally most traffic heading to the I-10 corridor will go further east or west.

Tallahassee and Panama City are just not large destinations and Tallahassee is easy to get to on GRIP corridors.
I thought I had read Kennesaw St was moving up to research university. Perhaps it was just their promotion to regional university and their desire to move up further. But its still Atlanta area 3 + 1 in North Georgia and 0 south of I-20.

We'll just have to disagree on the benefit to Atlanta and cities north of an alternative to I-75 south of Columbus. To Columbus as an Atlanta bypass the benefits are clear.

Old 06-14-2015, 08:41 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
My Uncle is thinking about moving from Miami to Tallahassee. Cheaper and quieter. Now that the kids are all grown, he's gotten tired of the Miami life. He was born and raised there. I never explored Tallahassee though. My family always say it's basically Georgia.
or lower Alabama! Boring and slow just like Jawja! People who move to Florida to retire go to the Gulf Coast and people who are ready to die? The panhandle!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta