Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2015, 10:27 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,931,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
or lower Alabama! Boring and slow just like Jawja! People who move to Florida to retire go to the Gulf Coast and people who are ready to die? The panhandle!
And any of them are better than the cesspool known as Miami/Dade County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 01:55 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,770,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
We'll just have to disagree on the benefit to Atlanta and cities north of an alternative to I-75 south of Columbus. To Columbus as an Atlanta bypass the benefits are clear.
But that is the problem... the context of the whole network matters.

Most traffic can bypass Atlanta by going towards Birmingham from Chattanooga if they are going southwest.

If they are going southeast they will still want to stay the course going down I-75.

So now we are talking about an expensive route that just affects traffic to/from Columbus, Tallahassee, and Southwest Georgia.

The conundrum doesn't go away.

Then we have to approach the problem on whether it is better to fund reinforcing I-75 with a third travel lane in rural areas, like we have been building, since a bulk of the traffic will stay on I-75.

Old 06-14-2015, 02:00 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,931,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
But that is the problem... the context of the whole network matters.

Most traffic can bypass Atlanta by going towards Birmingham from Chattanooga if they are going southwest.

If they are going southeast they will still want to stay the course going down I-75.

So now we are talking about an expensive route that just affects traffic to/from Columbus, Tallahassee, and Southwest Georgia.

The conundrum doesn't go away.

Then we have to approach the problem on whether it is better to fund reinforcing I-75 with a third travel lane in rural areas, like we have been building, since a bulk of the traffic will stay on I-75.
I think I-75 is six lanes now throughout Georgia?

Old 06-14-2015, 02:09 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,034,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
Metropolitan areas are one entity. City proper technicalities are pretty much irrelevant these days. No city on earth stops at it's city limits anymore. Metropolitan areas are much more important.
City-limits populations are insignificant in 2015. MSA/CSA or urban area is the way to measure the size/scope of a city these days. I guess some people don't realize this, but when you are wondering when Atlanta might pass Mesa then that should tell you something immediately...or when you see that El Paso is larger than Boston.

Old 06-14-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
I think I-75 is six lanes now throughout Georgia?
We just recently did that.

And that is exactly what I'm trying to allude to. Is we make choices on how to make these investments. We chose to do that, as opposed to making a whole new interstate corridor with higher costs that really only benefits a handful of cities.

Old 06-14-2015, 04:29 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
No, I did not compare DC/Baltimore with Dallas.
You did on the first and second pages, You said DC was the 4th largest Metro people quickie pointed it's not and you had to add Baltimore. Then posters said they are distinct urban areas with their own identities. This still the first page.

On the second page you quoted a specific sentence from someone mentioning the development between Dallas - For Worth. And you said in the real world "Most people know that DC and Baltimore are one big market for business purposes. I lived there in the 90s and the development between was significant and there was a lot of new stuff happening."

That's comparing DC-Baltimore to DFW. When there not the same thing, DC-Baltimore is a CSA not a MSA, and I used DFW as an example to show you how a two city MSA is like. DC-Baltimore is not.

I stated this because we can't just start adding cities randomly next to each other together because we want them to appear bigger. When they don't function as a MSA. DFW, Minneapolis-St Paul, Tampa–St. Petersburg and etc. Are multi cities metropolitan.

I remember some compared Northeast Ohio...... Cleveland, Akron, and Youngstown in 8,000 sq mi which is 5 mil, like that's one MSA. Then compare that to Atlanta. The error was Northeast Ohio doesn't function as a MSA.

It's not "semantics" if we just look at proximity were only looking at density. This creates an error ignoring outward growth. Which is common on city data. Outward growth is measure by commuting ties to central cities. This is why DC-Baltimore is a CSA you can't say it's the 4th largest MSA. On the second page you said this is "meaningless in the real world" In the real world DC-Baltimore are close to each other but their "outward growth" doesn't overlap enough which is why they have distinct identities as two MSA's.

Old 06-14-2015, 04:41 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,127 times
MSA is the best measure of a city size because it's immediate

Urban areas is the second, but it's just density over a distance.

CSA your now combining MSA's, It has it's purpose but it doesn't represent the city it's an Conurbation.

Old 06-14-2015, 04:48 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,034,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
MSA is the best measure of a city size because it's immediate

Urban areas is the second, but it's just density over a distance.

CSA your now combining MSA's, It has it's purpose but it doesn't represent the city it's an Conurbation.
True...but they are all preferred over city-limits.

Sometimes CSA is only slightly larger than MSA - like in Atlanta's case. Other times it's a massive difference, like San Francisco or DC.

Old 06-14-2015, 06:04 PM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
We just recently did that.

And that is exactly what I'm trying to allude to. Is we make choices on how to make these investments. We chose to do that, as opposed to making a whole new interstate corridor with higher costs that really only benefits a handful of cities.
I agree we make choices. But I-75 is one of the most heavily travelled interstates. Do we want to make it 4 or 5 lanes each way?

Old 06-14-2015, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I agree we make choices. But I-75 is one of the most heavily travelled interstates. Do we want to make it 4 or 5 lanes each way?
no, but we don't need to.

The issue is what is being put forth wouldn't take much traffic away from I-75. This is a large reason why money went to widening throughout most the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta