Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 10:05 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,411,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
New corporate headquarters are nice. But luring them here with a one-two punch of low corporate taxes and tax incentives is a pretty bad way to do it. For one, what happens in the future when Georgia has to raise taxes to pay for all the infrastructure we're failing to maintain now? And second, GE is going to create jobs, but their moving here would also cost us money. If they're enjoying such low taxes, the only ones left to pick up the rest of their share are the rest of us.
Agree, we can't just keep adding more jobs around Atlanta and not spend the needed money to upgrade our transportation infrastructure. Besides it seems like GE shops around for a better deal pretty frequently. It was only a couple years ago that they moved to CT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 06:22 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,383,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Actually... Despite that you're trying to turn this black and white and put words in my mouth... that is somewhat close to what I'm saying.

No one ever said they don't live South of I-20.

What I did say is: "...most of the professional services, technical services, and information services workers are on the northside of town in large numbers."

tut tut. I wasn't going to make this a black and white thing, but it's cute you made that assumption. I was going to make this about the usual North/South Bias, and how people think North of I-20 should be entitled to everything, because...well because you already have everything and why change it? Do you see the flaw in that thinking?

And another thing, since I'm ranting: I'm not part of your white/black paradigm, and frankly I'm sick of all this black/white talk from both black and white. It's so narrow and boring. If you can't figure out who to get out of your little boxes and tribalism, there is really no hope for Atlanta, until everyone here is some shade of brown.

That type of regional jingoism is just useless if you want the \
1. entire Metro to be functional,
2. and grow evenly,
3. and mitigate traffic patterns
4. and increase the need and implementation of regional transit options.

Something ARC apparently understands better than you btw, hence the Aerotropolis concept, the Oakland City TOD, etc.

You use those maps to justify keeping things exactly as they have always been. I look at those maps and see ways to improve the disparity (and possibility the upward mobilitiy/income inequality thing that Atlanta always seems to be #1 in. Your thinking on this subject and "north of I-20" blinders is part of the root cause of this problem in the first place.

And another thing while I'm on a rant: I'm not part of your white/black paradigm. Frankly the constant black/white race talk bores and annoys me, from both white and black people. You act like you are the only people that exist, and you miss the forest for the trees, by not realizing that what you think of as race (ie ONLY black and white) are really issues of class and economics, and race is irrelevant.

Last edited by Tryska; 06-06-2015 at 06:31 AM..

Old 06-06-2015, 08:01 AM

32,022 posts, read 36,782,996 times
GE would be a good fit in that new Tishman speyer building that's under construction near Phipps.

Old 06-06-2015, 09:52 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,797,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post
tut tut. I wasn't going to make this a black and white thing, but it's cute you made that assumption. I was going to make this about the usual North/South Bias, and how people think North of I-20 should be entitled to everything, because...well because you already have everything and why change it? Do you see the flaw in that thinking?

And another thing, since I'm ranting: I'm not part of your white/black paradigm, and frankly I'm sick of all this black/white talk from both black and white. It's so narrow and boring. If you can't figure out who to get out of your little boxes and tribalism, there is really no hope for Atlanta, until everyone here is some shade of brown.

That type of regional jingoism is just useless if you want the \
1. entire Metro to be functional,
2. and grow evenly,
3. and mitigate traffic patterns
4. and increase the need and implementation of regional transit options.

Something ARC apparently understands better than you btw, hence the Aerotropolis concept, the Oakland City TOD, etc.

You use those maps to justify keeping things exactly as they have always been. I look at those maps and see ways to improve the disparity (and possibility the upward mobilitiy/income inequality thing that Atlanta always seems to be #1 in. Your thinking on this subject and "north of I-20" blinders is part of the root cause of this problem in the first place.

And another thing while I'm on a rant: I'm not part of your white/black paradigm. Frankly the constant black/white race talk bores and annoys me, from both white and black people. You act like you are the only people that exist, and you miss the forest for the trees, by not realizing that what you think of as race (ie ONLY black and white) are really issues of class and economics, and race is irrelevant.
Umm...I could be wrong but I assumed by "black and white",he meant as in "cut and dry" or meaning just looking at it one way.
I don't think he was talking about race.I could be wrong but that not how I took what he wrote as literal.

Old 06-06-2015, 10:25 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Umm...I could be wrong but I assumed by "black and white",he meant as in "cut and dry" or meaning just looking at it one way.
I don't think he was talking about race.I could be wrong but that not how I took what he wrote as literal.
Same here; I thought he meant it's not all one way or the other.

Old 06-06-2015, 10:58 AM

9 posts, read 9,142 times
GE Corporate HQ moving to Atlanta would be a HUGE win for all of us. There would be a lot of good paying jobs (both GE and contractor) and a constant stream of people traveling into the city for meetings/training.

Old 06-06-2015, 11:02 AM

I just scanned three pages of the most recent thread titles in the Connecticut forums and not one word mentioned about anything G.E.
I guess they aren't concerned.
But there are a few talking about taxes being raised and the cost of living being high.

Old 06-06-2015, 11:09 AM

9 posts, read 9,142 times
GE Power Systems moved their HQ from Schenectady to Atlanta around 2001 but they still have their manufacturing there. I am pretty sure that the GE PS employment in Schenectady is about the same from 2001 to present.

Old 06-06-2015, 01:15 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,770,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Thanks for picking up on that. That is exactly what I meant.

Tryska,

I said, "...most of the professional services, technical services, and information services workers are on the northside of town in large numbers."

And you turned that around on me and tried to turn it into: "Do you really think professional service workers don't live South of I-20 as well?"

You're attempting to alter my argument, so it is so drastic it is hard to defend while my original statement remains true.

The problem with the rest of your argument is you're trying to take a single opportunity that would be hard to get to act as a golden spike for the Southside.

The problem is with the way things are today, the Southside won't hold that kind of appeal. If we are going to win them over and lure them here, we need to put our best foot forward and look at their needs. Their needs will undoubtedly include access to the most competitive workers for a corporate office the region can offer.

You're also trying to blame me for the way things are, simply because I'm presenting you the facts of the way things are. That is very short-sighted thinking to be honest and not particularly fair to me.

The issue with the 'favored quarter' is not new and occurs in most cities, not just here. It isn't a part of any local thinking involving I-20, jingoism?, trabalism, etc.... There is a reciprocal relationship between new office locations and new worker locations that sustains this affect.

Old 06-06-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Thanks for picking up on that. That is exactly what I meant.

Tryska,

I said, "...most of the professional services, technical services, and information services workers are on the northside of town in large numbers."

And you turned that around on me and tried to turn it into: "Do you really think professional service workers don't live South of I-20 as well?"

You're attempting to alter my argument, so it is so drastic it is hard to defend while my original statement remains true.

The problem with the rest of your argument is you're trying to take a single opportunity that would be hard to get to act as a golden spike for the Southside.

The problem is with the way things are today, the Southside won't hold that kind of appeal. If we are going to win them over and lure them here, we need to put our best foot forward and look at their needs. Their needs will undoubtedly include access to the most competitive workers for a corporate office the region can offer.

You're also trying to blame me for the way things are, simply because I'm presenting you the facts of the way things are. That is very short-sighted thinking to be honest and not particularly fair to me.

The issue with the 'favored quarter' is not new and occurs in most cities, not just here. It isn't a part of any local thinking involving I-20, jingoism?, trabalism, etc.... There is a reciprocal relationship between new office locations and new worker locations that sustains this affect.
I agree cause i am a realist.I live Southside in Rex near Stockbridge after selling my house Downtown.Its just not as many wealthy or high income people as there are on th Northside of town.

Does not mean there are no good jobs are upscale places but they are far fewer and in between on the South side.
That said anyone looking to move to Atlanta on a considerable budget should always look to the Southside first because it offers far more value and even quality of life is better due to less traffic and lower cost of living,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta