Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 12:18 PM

787 posts, read 968,418 times

Advertisements

I'm a Georgia native who moved away for a while and now I'm back. My family always says you can tell who is really from Georgia because they have never been to places like Coca-Cola, Six Flags, King Memorial, CNN, a Hawks, Falcons, or Braves game, etc. I'm glad I left for a while I probably would be in the same boat.
I could never stay by mostly white people again, has nothing to do with them but the love I have for my people. I also can't be one of those blacks who talk pro black but live around all white people.
I will always stay in a black neighborhood, my wife and I reside on Fairburn rd in the Cascade area and we love it. We've decided if we have kids we will home school them til they get to high school then send them to an APS high school. Black folk have an individualistic mindset which is a destructive mindset, especially for a minority group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 01:00 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,436,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
You are so wrong it is not funny. MARTA is ran by a black person, Keith Parker, so are a number of other large companies and organizations in this region. You might want to check the stats and facts before saying that. Most black professionals in this region either work for the federal, state, or local government, non-profits, education, or themselves, and most of these places aren't exactly led by white people either. Last time I saw a hard stat that was from the 2013 American Community Survey, it was somewhere in the ballpark of 40% for black professionals working in the private sector. So I don't know where you got your numbers from...
Further adding to your point, I would think being on some type of executive level and Board of Directors which is higher than a CEO is admirable. For example Shirley Franklin is on Delta Airlines board of directors. Also the measuring stick should no longer be Fortune 500, but many blacks also run viable and successful non-profit companies. Lol

Old 06-09-2015, 03:11 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,782,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Right...anecdotes that have NOTHING to do with the topic at hand, at that.
But they never bring up the hundreds of shooting in their hometown. Over 40 shot last week....Www.heyjackass.com

Old 06-09-2015, 03:33 PM

719 posts, read 1,332,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
FALSE FALSE FALSE.....again I say show me the fortune 500 company in Atlanta ran by blacks. Not trying to beef Jero, its a serious question. Dont tell me about exceptions man. Exceptions are not a part of the majority. Majority of blacks work for Coca Cola, Home Depot, Delta, UPS, Grady, Marta, NCR, Norfolk Southern, etc etc....none of these companies are RAN by blacks we just work there. Thats all I am pointing out, dont be offended its the truth.

CEO of American Express is Black....Just Sayin...And there are more out there. Don't short a community of people

Last edited by coolieandre; 06-09-2015 at 03:33 PM.. Reason: .

Old 06-09-2015, 03:39 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
...none of these companies are RAN by blacks we just work there. Thats all I am pointing out, dont be offended its the truth.
what does ran and being successful have anything to do with it, you can be successful with who ever running the ship, that doesnt have anything to do with it

Old 06-09-2015, 03:47 PM

I think a lot of Black grads leave Atlanta, because they simply have better opportunities elsewhere or are just looking for something else. There is more to it than just working for white people. For one, I think the AUC should be ashamed for being in an area like the West End and have no economic affect that has trickled down into the immediate community. In essence, It's just horrible leadership, planning, and investing on the Univ part. If the area were more desirable being a very expensive univ, and one with such a strong legacy I think more grads would stay and the area would probably be more diverse with blacks having the upper-hand in terms of population. But it's NOT. It's just sad when you drive around there.

Old 06-09-2015, 03:53 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolieandre View Post
I think a lot of Black grads leave Atlanta, because they simply have better opportunities elsewhere or are just looking for something else. There is more to it than just working for white people. For one, I think the AUC should be ashamed for being in an area like the West End and have no economic affect that has trickled down into the immediate community. In essence, It's just horrible leadership, planning, and investing on the Univ part. If the area were more desirable being a very expensive univ, and one with such a strong legacy I think more grads would stay and the area would probably be more diverse with blacks having the upper-hand in terms of population. But it's NOT. It's just sad when you drive around there.
I think that's misguided. The fact of the matter is that most HBCUs are located in Black neighborhoods that have suffered from massive disinvestment for at least 50 years now due to a deliberate set of federal policies, carried out on the state and local levels, that brought about the conditions that we now see. That's a lot to overcome for often smallish colleges and universities that aren't awash in cash and have low endowments for obvious reasons.

Old 06-09-2015, 03:59 PM

Quote:
I think that's misguided. The fact of the matter is that most HBCUs are located in Black neighborhoods that have suffered from massive disinvestment for at least 50 years now due to a deliberate set of federal policies, carried out on the state and local levels, that brought about the conditions that we now see. That's a lot to overcome for often smallish colleges and universities that aren't awash in cash and have low endowments for obvious reasons.

That's the argument I always hear. I just don't believe that. I mean there is nothing down there....

Old 06-09-2015, 04:11 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
So true as some blacks who are wealthier seem to have I got mine attitude and leave me alone.
That sounds exactly like the Republican mantra of conservative middle class and upper middle class whites

Old 06-09-2015, 04:37 PM

9 posts, read 21,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
…You missed my point. It should simply be a choice to reside in area like West End, but disinvestment gives no options. Look at Tech Square and how graduates, jobs, retail that has recently exploded in the immediate vicinity. Why can't West End with all it's educational weatlh reflect what is happening at Tech Square.
Quote:
…Crime is one, but I bet the bigger issue is schools. But it's all a catch-22, chicken/egg-type of situation. And we can't forget that there were deliberate, intentional government policies that reshaped urban neighborhoods beginning in the immediate post-war era.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry X View Post
I'm a Georgia native who moved away for a while and now I'm back. My family always says you can tell who is really from Georgia because they have never been to places like Coca-Cola, Six Flags, King Memorial, CNN, a Hawks, Falcons, or Braves game, etc. I'm glad I left for a while I probably would be in the same boat.
I could never stay by mostly white people again, has nothing to do with them but the love I have for my people. I also can't be one of those blacks who talk pro black but live around all white people.
I will always stay in a black neighborhood, my wife and I reside on Fairburn rd in the Cascade area and we love it. We've decided if we have kids we will home school them til they get to high school then send them to an APS high school. Black folk have an individualistic mindset which is a destructive mindset, especially for a minority group.
The sad reality is that blacks don’t OWN much of West End. Hence has very little say so in what happens in their areas.
Mall West End sold to local owners - Atlanta Business Chronicle

Tack on failed government educational policies (No Child left Behind) plus removal of vocational high schools, and the ill effects of Post Traumatic Slave Syndrome (PTSS)
Post Traumatic Slave Syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is why so many black people get caught up in the system are pushed around so easily and can find themselves fighting an uphill battle trying to get ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta