Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 04:59 PM

787 posts, read 969,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
That sounds exactly like the Republican mantra of conservative middle class and upper middle class whites
The difference is that whites are the majority and have all the power. They can do that, whites have this attitude but still stick together by default because they are the majority. Black folks have this same mindset accept we own nothing and have no power. For example, a well off black person may live next to a white or Asian person, and attend their schools, but 9 times out of 10 that so called well off black person is the only person in their family with money and they do not own anything, all their money goes to making whites and Asians richer, which in turn make blacks as a whole poorer. This is called setting up equal structures that provide unequal outcomes.
If I was a millionaire, I would by up all the small businesses not owned by blacks along Cascade and in the West End, and then hire an all black staff and black managers.

Last edited by Larry X; 06-09-2015 at 05:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 05:35 PM

6,503 posts, read 6,122,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry X View Post
If I was a millionaire, I would by up all the small businesses not owned by blacks along Cascade and in the West End, and then hire an all black staff and black managers.
Have fun with the inevitable discrimination lawsuit.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:10 PM

6,420 posts, read 6,527,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry X View Post
The difference is that whites are the majority and have all the power. They can do that, whites have this attitude but still stick together by default because they are the majority. Black folks have this same mindset accept we own nothing and have no power. For example, a well off black person may live next to a white or Asian person, and attend their schools, but 9 times out of 10 that so called well off black person is the only person in their family with money and they do not own anything, all their money goes to making whites and Asians richer, which in turn make blacks as a whole poorer. This is called setting up equal structures that provide unequal outcomes.
Atlanta is a funny place and most of the blacks here are funny. The bougie ones never want to admit the truth and the hood ones well they cant see past their neighborhood. Its one thing to waste money enjoying life, its another wasts money to keep up appearances......

Old 06-09-2015, 06:18 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,310,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
what does ran and being successful have anything to do with it, you can be successful with who ever running the ship, that doesnt have anything to do with it
To me owning your own business is the ultimate success. Writing your own checks, hiring who you want, look how you want to look, and be able to buy off the government in your area.

It's no real secret that whenever an economic downturn happens, the first people to get the axe are minorities(i.e. black people). It doesn't matter if you are a blue collar or a white collar. If you are black you will be deemed most expendable.

And for the ones who "made it", they always live in perpetual fear...whether it be from getting fired, getting followed at a store, or getting brutalized by law enforcement. No amount of money will ever be able to protect a black person from racial issues in America.

But if black people as a collective followed the logic of Dr. Claud Anderson, and practiced group economics and group politics like everyone else? We would be unstoppable.

But that won't happen in my lifetime, if ever.

We black folks will continue to buy into this fraudulent notion of "rugged individualism", living the so-called "American dream", and stay forever disconnected from black culture and the diaspora. And tokenized into mainstream society by way of a nice job, a house, a car, and ESPN at the local sports bar.

Giving a typical college educated black person a "good job" is the ultimate pacification tool.

It achieves two goals: one is that many if not most, will never aspire to be anything more than a mere employee...and two it prevents any potential for dissidence and instigating rebellion against unfairness in American society.

That's why there will never be an answer to the police brutality and other assorted racist practices by way of the dominant society.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 06-09-2015 at 06:35 PM..

Old 06-09-2015, 06:29 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,442,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think that's misguided. The fact of the matter is that most HBCUs are located in Black neighborhoods that have suffered from massive disinvestment for at least 50 years now due to a deliberate set of federal policies, carried out on the state and local levels, that brought about the conditions that we now see. That's a lot to overcome for often smallish colleges and universities that aren't awash in cash and have low endowments for obvious reasons.
Wouldn't the latter part of your statement "low endowments "be the reason for disinvestment. I'm sorry I just would not see the City of Atlanta stopping a HSBU from local development in West End.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:34 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,442,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPeach2 View Post
Atlanta is a funny place and most of the blacks here are funny. The bougie ones never want to admit the truth and the hood ones well they cant see past their neighborhood. Its one thing to waste money enjoying life, its another wasts money to keep up appearances......
So true working in the Bankruptcy industry, I'm appalled at the number of Atlanta blacks with or without a degree who filed Bankruptcy to live above their means on credit. Just listen to the radio one commercial you constantly hear is Debtstopper advertising because Bankruptcy filings in the Atlanta black community is booming. They be in office skinning and grinning with all the title lien loans and charged off credit cards. Not a good look.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
So true working in the Bankruptcy industry, I'm appalled at the number of Atlanta blacks with or without a degree who filed Bankruptcy to live above their means on credit. Just listen to the radio one commercial you constantly hear is Debtstopper because Bankruptcy filing in the Atlanta black community is booming.
Funny you saying that about Debtstopper. Whenever I listen to WAOK and the commercials, Debtstopper seems to be playing back to back.

I can almost hear the last part of the jingle sung by a black woman(I'm assuming) in my mind:

Debtstopper, debtstopper, debtstoperrrrrrrrr....

Now that's crazy!

Old 06-09-2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Wouldn't the latter part of your statement "low endowments "be the reason for disinvestment. I'm sorry I just would not see the City of Atlanta stopping a HSBU from local development in West End.
That's a good point. Especially in light of how Tyler Perry was able to tentatively takeover 330 acres of prime real estate at Ft Macpherson for just $30 million.

I feel like that the vision of the HBCU leadership in Atlanta seemingly extends no further than their territory. They could at least try some sort of business incubation on small scale through acquire some real estate.

I found it amazing that not one of the Atlanta HBCUs even tried to absorb Morris Brown and its property into their operations.

Talk about a major case of poverty of imagination.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:58 PM

787 posts, read 969,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
To me owning your own business is the ultimate success. Writing your own checks, hiring who you want, look how you want to look, and be able to buy off the government in your area.

It's no real secret that whenever an economic downturn happens, the first people to get the axe are minorities(i.e. black people). It doesn't matter if you are a blue collar or a white collar. If you are black you will be deemed most expendable.

And for the ones who "made it", they always live in perpetual fear...whether it be from getting fired, getting followed at a store, or getting brutalized by law enforcement. No amount of money will ever be able to protect a black person from racial issues in America.

But if black people as a collective followed the logic of Dr. Claud Anderson, and practiced group economics and group politics like everyone else? We would be unstoppable.

But that won't happen in my lifetime, if ever.

We black folks will continue to buy into this fraudulent notion of "rugged individualism", living the so-called "American dream", and stay forever disconnected from black culture and the diaspora. And tokenized into mainstream society by way of a nice job, a house, a car, and ESPN at the local sports bar.

Giving a typical college educated black person a "good job" is the ultimate pacification tool.

It achieves two goals: one is that many if not most, will never aspire to be anything more than a mere employee...and two it prevents any potential for dissidence and instigating rebellion against unfairness in American society.

That's why there will never be an answer to the police brutality and other assorted racist practices by way of the dominant society.
So true, %100 agree.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:56 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,362,619 times
I thought that Morehouse and Spelman did have fairly large endowments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta