Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 08:53 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,782,223 times

Advertisements

Remember the express bus is a direct ride to Midtown. It isn't the regular city bus. It will all be people going to work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 06:37 PM

10 posts, read 13,243 times
Thanks all. It seems that finding something in a good district, close to MARTA, in our price range is pretty rough. We're pretty much convinced that we'll need to commute by car.

So we're looking at North Decatur, Marietta, and Smyrna. How are the commutes from those areas? We found a place we like in North Decatur--does anyone have a recommendation for a good day care (3yo) in that area?

Old 06-19-2015, 05:53 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,032,125 times
I lived in Collier Ridge many many many many years ago right after I graduated from Tech.
Unless you're going to Fox & Hounds a lot, the location was a bit out of the way and would certainly require a car (lots of hills to drive up and down) even just to get out of the complex.

I have no idea what it looks like today. I haven't driven that road in almost a decade.

Old 06-19-2015, 07:39 AM

1,329 posts, read 1,313,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relientKitten View Post
Thanks all. It seems that finding something in a good district, close to MARTA, in our price range is pretty rough. We're pretty much convinced that we'll need to commute by car.

So we're looking at North Decatur, Marietta, and Smyrna. How are the commutes from those areas? We found a place we like in North Decatur--does anyone have a recommendation for a good day care (3yo) in that area?
Certainly Marietta would provide you with a 30 minute (or less) commute to Arts Center, as long as you're near the Square, inside the actual Marietta city limits. (Places with Marietta street addresses that are actually deep into East Cobb and West Cobb would take much longer.) I commute to near the airport and rarely does it take me more than 45 minutes, and the airport is a good 15 minutes farther than Midtown. You'll have to take the highway to keep it around 30 minutes - going via Atlanta Road or U.S. 41 would certainly be possible but would take longer.

Most of Smyrna would provide the same kind of commute, and there are ways to do it on the surface streets. (It's been a while since I've driven down Atlanta Road into the city at rush hour, though, so I don't know if going via surface streets would keep you under your 30 minute threshold. Certainly taking 75 (getting on at either Cumberland, Mount Paran or West Paces Ferry) should.)

Comparable real estate is probably a bit cheaper in the good parts of Marietta than in the good parts of Smyrna, which is one reason we ended up there after nearly 20 years in Smyrna. That may be changing, however, as the area close to the Square in Marietta is white hot.

Apart from the slightly longer commute, we don't really miss Smyrna at all. The area around the Marietta Square has a really appealing small city feel (urban, but not large), there are ample restaurant and shops we can walk to, and there's always some kind of festival or concert going on in the Square.

I don't know much about North Decatur, I'm afraid, other than the fact that it's not inside the city limits and therefore doesn't benefit from the excellent Decatur City school system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta