Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 12:28 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,153,897 times

Advertisements

As others have said, Philips Arena is a good building in an excellent location.

Don't forget, arenas have one big advantage over baseball and football stadiums: Year-round concerts and events. Go compare the number of events at Philips Arena vs. at the Dome.

P.S. Have they finally gotten rid of those ugly TVs in Philips' escalator concourse? If I owned the arena, they'd be the first things to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 01:23 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
I thought the Omni was okay.

Old 06-11-2015, 02:29 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,235,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
P.S. Have they finally gotten rid of those ugly TVs in Philips' escalator concourse? If I owned the arena, they'd be the first things to go.
Come on, it's a fantastic display of what is possible when you use Philips' cutting edge technologies. That's Innovation & You. That's Phillips.

I'll let you know next year when I set foot in the Phillips for the first time since the Thrashers have been sold. The boycott is ending soon!

Old 06-11-2015, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I thought the Omni was okay.
It had the nostalgia factor, I'll give you that. But I'm afraid that's where it ends.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omni_Coliseum#Problems

Honestly I think metro Atlanta just outgrew the thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigod311 View Post
Come on, it's a fantastic display of what is possible when you use Philips' cutting edge technologies. That's Innovation & You. That's Phillips.

I'll let you know next year when I set foot in the Phillips for the first time since the Thrashers have been sold. The boycott is ending soon!
haha! Well, enjoy! It's not a bad arena by any measure.

Old 06-11-2015, 05:50 PM

770 posts, read 603,358 times
No reason to change it, won't add anything, they are building a new FB stadium because of the Super Bowl. And Braves is a whole separate issue altogether that is still up for debate if it'll be more successful long term.

Old 06-11-2015, 06:40 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,930,050 times
Phillips is an example of an urban arena gone right. You can't be more convenient to MARTA than Phillips is. Shuttles to Turner Field right now? Give me a break. You can walk out the doors of Phillips and you're right there downtown with all the bars and restaurants close by. Hockey will come back to Phillips. Atlanta is too large to go on forever without an NHL team

Old 06-12-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Phillips is an example of an urban arena gone right. You can't be more convenient to MARTA than Phillips is. Shuttles to Turner Field right now? Give me a break. You can walk out the doors of Phillips and you're right there downtown with all the bars and restaurants close by. Hockey will come back to Phillips. Atlanta is too large to go on forever without an NHL team
Unfortunately I doubt we'll get another NHL team--the number of Canadian teams under-served by the NHL is just too high. But I do think that Philips is more than suitable for an AHL team (hockey's equivalent of AAA minors), and I wish we'd get one already.

Old 06-12-2015, 02:57 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,930,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Unfortunately I doubt we'll get another NHL team--the number of Canadian teams under-served by the NHL is just too high. But I do think that Philips is more than suitable for an AHL team (hockey's equivalent of AAA minors), and I wish we'd get one already.
Charlotte got their ECHL team upgraded to AHL. Honestly Gwinnett Arena can support an AHL team. It was the largest in the ECHL for years. There might be one larger now. Not sure if the AHL would move to Phillips while keeping the ECHL in Gwinnett. I don't know if Atlanta can support AHL and ECHL, they're maybe too close skill wise.

Old 06-12-2015, 04:45 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,403,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
The Hawks leaving Philips for the suburbs would severely damage the franchise in a way the Braves going to Cobb never would, and they know this.

Hence, it ain't happening.
I mean let's be real here, people in ATL don't exactly support the Hawks unless a team they want to see is coming to town to play them. This year was the first time ive ever even seen people I know wearing Hawks gear and it was only because they made it to the Eastern Conference finals and they jumped on the bandwagon.

Old 06-13-2015, 11:55 AM

1,002 posts, read 1,048,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Atlanta has lost 2 NHL franchises. There will not be a 3rd, unless it is in the northern suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta