Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 06:17 AM

201 posts, read 1,012,772 times

Advertisements

"How's the Pizza and Bagels there? Are there dinners too?"

I have yet to find any that are decent...blech. I resorted to making my own bagels and pizza. Diners?...There was on near exit 10 of the 400, I passed while they were tearing it down after it closed.....I shook my fist and said...

"In the name of New Jersey, step away from the diner"

Well, my kids thought it was funny.

I moved to Cumming, but Alpharetta reminds me of Moorestown/MtLaurel NJ. It is an area the relocating people tend to go and it is a great location near many work locations.

We picked Cumming as we got more for our money here and the taxes were low. Plus we got a pretty big lot. Homes are too close together here. I had more land in Jersey...go figure. I've only been here a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 06:41 AM

6 posts, read 16,639 times
teacher,
We like the pizza at Carmine's and Z pizza. And Ippolito's has the BEST Italian.

As for bagels, there's a new place called BB's on McFarland. They are hand-rolled and REALLy good!

Old 01-22-2008, 07:53 AM

16 posts, read 65,225 times
For those of you who are complaining about metro Atlanta, and the lack of good pizza, bagels, etc., and complaining about the schools, can I suggest that you please stop complaining and MOVE BACK!!!! As Lewis Grizzard used to say, Delta is ready when you are!!! BTW, if NJ and NY are so great, why are they losing population like rats from a sinking ship?

Old 01-22-2008, 08:00 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,254,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKendrow View Post
For those of you who are complaining about metro Atlanta, and the lack of good pizza, bagels, etc., and complaining about the schools, can I suggest that you please stop complaining and MOVE BACK!!!! As Lewis Grizzard used to say, Delta is ready when you are!!! BTW, if NJ and NY are so great, why are they losing population like rats from a sinking ship?
Only Michigan and Rhode Island registered a loss of population in the last census survey. Now if rats are moving out of those regions, then that would be fine.

And your sarcastic, flip comment doesn't necessarily work the other way - in other words, people are not flocking to new areas (like Atlanta) because everything is just SO great there that they have to be there. There are many factors, and people weigh their options and make a choice. NYC and NJ have lots of diversity and culture and people long for that in the new places they live now. There is nothing wrong with that.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:50 AM

23 posts, read 134,387 times
Vike,
We are in Nassau County, Long Island.
I went to Alpharetta last year. I visited both Summit Hill Elementary and Milton High School. They both seemed very nice.
I don't know about the curriculum, but I've heard it is pretty good.

I guess you can't really know until you get there and it is your child in the school. Someone's opinion of good may not be yours.
I think a lot of it has to do with parents. If you are educated and put time into your child, they will get further ahead than they do in school.
We have some great schools here, but I also think they stress the kids out way too much with all the competitiveness and AP classes and stuff.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:37 AM

201 posts, read 1,012,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKendrow View Post
Gee you're a little sensitive....I don't think anyone was really complaining. I don't need bagels and pizza anyway...so I really am better off.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:42 PM

27 posts, read 26,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calcbunny View Post
"How's the Pizza and Bagels there? Are there dinners too?"

I have yet to find any that are decent...blech. I resorted to making my own bagels and pizza. Diners?...There was on near exit 10 of the 400, I passed while they were tearing it down after it closed.....I shook my fist and said...

"In the name of New Jersey, step away from the diner"

Well, my kids thought it was funny.

I moved to Cumming, but Alpharetta reminds me of Moorestown/MtLaurel NJ. It is an area the relocating people tend to go and it is a great location near many work locations.

We picked Cumming as we got more for our money here and the taxes were low. Plus we got a pretty big lot. Homes are too close together here. I had more land in Jersey...go figure. I've only been here a year.

Oh, well. I guess we can't have everything.

I have a relative that came back from the service and the first place he went to after seeing his parents was the Tick Tock diner in Clifton.

Thanks for the info on the surrounding towns. I might look into those as well but seeing the market as it is today, I don't think we will be moving anytime soon :-(

Old 01-22-2008, 05:47 PM

27 posts, read 26,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loridean View Post
Vike,
We are in Nassau County, Long Island.
I went to Alpharetta last year. I visited both Summit Hill Elementary and Milton High School. They both seemed very nice.
I don't know about the curriculum, but I've heard it is pretty good.

I guess you can't really know until you get there and it is your child in the school. Someone's opinion of good may not be yours.
I think a lot of it has to do with parents. If you are educated and put time into your child, they will get further ahead than they do in school.
We have some great schools here, but I also think they stress the kids out way too much with all the competitiveness and AP classes and stuff.
Ah, LI. Mets fans?

You are right about parents being involved and doing a good job I'm happy to say. I guess I know how they feel but I moved on to another school in the fifth grade and made new friends. It wasn't a hard transition at all but I want to do it an an early age as it probably gets more difficult with time.

Thanks for the info and looking forward to someday getting down there aways from the corruption that is the Garden State. And the warmer weather would be a nice change as well.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:44 PM

12 posts, read 111,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
There are no more unincorporated areas in north Fulton county.
Unless they just incorporated the area I'm talking about close to Centennial HS, it's still outside Alpharetta city limits. John's Creek runs up one side of Nesbitt Ferry, but the other side is unincorporated. This is the area close to where they're putting in the Super Target along Holcomb Bridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Vike View Post
We did look at Woodstock and Holly Springs and like both too. What are you opinions on those towns or what towns did you like in NW Cherokee?
I'm out West of Canton - out SR20 about 4-5 miles from the Bartow county line. My office is in Alpharetta & commute times vary depending on route & whether school is in session. I mostly run down 140, which is great until you get close to Fulton county. It can take anywhere from 40 min to over an hour. It's a 2-lane so one wreck will cause a major headache.
We looked at a few places in Woodstock & Holly Springs but found this area to be a bit more suited to our needs. We can walk to (what used to be) Allatoona Lake, lots of running room for the dogs, & real friendly neighbors. The price was right too - just about 2 acres for under $250k.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:23 PM

23 posts, read 134,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Vike View Post
Oh, well. I guess we can't have everything.

I have a relative that came back from the service and the first place he went to after seeing his parents was the Tick Tock diner in Clifton.

Thanks for the info on the surrounding towns. I might look into those as well but seeing the market as it is today, I don't think we will be moving anytime soon :-(

Nothing is selling here either. It's amazing. 3 years ago if a house if my neighborhood went up it was gone in a matter of days. ( and we're talking big money here.) Now, there are two that have been on the market for nearly a year and they are priced pretty low for our area.
I want to put mine up, but I don't want to let it go cheap either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta