Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 08:46 PM

109 posts, read 328,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShariG8R View Post
teacher,
We like the pizza at Carmine's and Z pizza. And Ippolito's has the BEST Italian.

As for bagels, there's a new place called BB's on McFarland. They are hand-rolled and REALLy good!
ok, i'll have to try BBs. Where in McFarland is it? Z Pizza. I pass it all the time on Windward. How is it? It is crap like Mellow Mushroom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loridean View Post
Vike,
We are in Nassau County, Long Island.
I went to Alpharetta last year. I visited both Summit Hill Elementary and Milton High School. They both seemed very nice.
I don't know about the curriculum, but I've heard it is pretty good.

I guess you can't really know until you get there and it is your child in the school. Someone's opinion of good may not be yours.
I think a lot of it has to do with parents. If you are educated and put time into your child, they will get further ahead than they do in school.
We have some great schools here, but I also think they stress the kids out way too much with all the competitiveness and AP classes and stuff.
where on long island? i just moved here from bellmore.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:47 PM

23 posts, read 134,048 times
Hi,
We are in Brookville.
I love my house, but I am not crazy about LI anymore. I hate the cold.
I hate the grey days. I hate the high taxes.

How do you like Alpharetta. Do you like the schools? that is my main concern.
You hear all this talk about "southern" schools not holding a candle to NY, but I don't buy it totally that all southern schools are bad. Only Florida

Old 01-25-2008, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Hi,
We are in Brookville.
I love my house, but I am not crazy about LI anymore. I hate the cold.
I hate the grey days. I hate the high taxes.

You hear all this talk about "southern" schools not holding a candle to NY, but I don't buy it totally that all southern schools are bad. Only Florida
alpharetta is cool. i live around the corner from windward pkwy. the schools are ok, but i believe the schools in forsyth county are better, which is just north of me.

the only thing that drove me from LI is the damn cost of living. how do they expect people in my generation to afford 10K + taxes a year? come on...it's BS!

Old 01-25-2008, 06:46 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,266,597 times
Quote:

I heard the same crap about the GA schools compared to the schools we left in NJ. All I can say is that I'm truly impressed with the elementary school my daughter is in up in Cherokee County. She's in an 8 y/o building as opposed to the run down 50 y/o non-air conditioned building in NJ, with computers in every classroom, great support facilities, and teachers who honestly seem to enjoy teaching (something I rarely saw in NJ). She's doing work in 2st grade that her cousins in the "great districts" in NJ are doing in 2nd grade, and this is from a school that isn't one of the highly-touted "Cobb County has the greatest schools" schools.

I firmly believe that 90% of what you see in the test rankings, in the "Cobb schools are the best" comments, etc., is utter crap. I'd be willing to bet that if your kids are in almost any school with a decent socio-economic level, and where the classrooms aren't overcrowded (most of them in the metro area really aren't), and you take an active role in your child's education, he/she will excel.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:02 PM

5 posts, read 21,384 times
What's wrong with Mellow Mushroom? For good bagels try Brooklyn Bagels on the corner of Haynes Bridge and Old Alabama next to Starbucks.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochienaza View Post
What's wrong with Mellow Mushroom? For good bagels try Brooklyn Bagels on the corner of Haynes Bridge and Old Alabama next to Starbucks.
Mellow Mushroom is pretty good for GA pizza- it just doesn't hold a candle to true NYC/NJ pizza..........

Old 01-25-2008, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Mellow Mushroom is pretty good for GA pizza- it just doesn't hold a candle to true NYC/NJ pizza..........
are you kidding me? take a trip up north and go grab a slice. you'll have a different perspective about mellow crap.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacher30004 View Post
are you kidding me? take a trip up north and go grab a slice. you'll have a different perspective about mellow crap.
You're obviously not paying attention- I said it was good for GA pizza, but doesn't even come close to NYC/NJ pizza. I lived in NJ for 30 years, so I fully understand that there's nothing down here that compares to the pizza up there- a few come close, but none fully compare. Mellow Mushroom is good compared to alot of what gets passed off as pizza down here.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:27 PM

27 posts, read 26,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
You're obviously not paying attention- I said it was good for GA pizza, but doesn't even come close to NYC/NJ pizza. I lived in NJ for 30 years, so I fully understand that there's nothing down here that compares to the pizza up there- a few come close, but none fully compare. Mellow Mushroom is good compared to alot of what gets passed off as pizza down here.

Bob,

Do the teachers have a union? You remember back here in NJ how they hold us hostage

I heard you guys got some snow. How much?

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta