Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 11:53 PM

5 posts, read 16,175 times

Advertisements

We may relocate to Atlanta from the Dallas, TX, area in a few months. I have noticed that a lot of the newer homes are 2 story. This is unfortunate as I am wheelchair bound. I am also looking for a good school district and low crime rate area, but we're only willing to spend no more than 250k. New home construction is probably our only option because of my situation. I have heard many good things about Peachtree City, but the price on new homes is kind of steep. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 04:25 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,393,597 times
You're going to have a tough time for several reasons:

- 250k is a bit tight for alot of the better areas for new construction- especially since you need a single-story home, which requires a larger lot to accomodate the same square footage as a comparably sized 2-story.
- I'm assuming you want something that's wheelchair accessible, which most production builders don't build, which is going to push you into a custom home, which is even more expensive.

You may actually be better off looking at resales and finding something that's already been converted for wheelchair use. Accessible homes pop up fairly frequently, and I'd bet you'll have an easier time finding something that way than you will finding a new home that suits your needs.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:47 AM

17,476 posts, read 66,094,679 times
Pulte did (may still) build a ranch plan (sorry, the name of the plan escapes me), 3/2 with a 2car garage. Great room, separate dining, laundry off the kitchen.
I mention this plan specifically because it had a fairly short hallway- and if any doors needed to be changed to 3/0 for accessability, it would be very easy. Even the door to the master bath could be changed (if I remember the layout correctly).
All were built on slab, with small step to entry (easy fix with ramp).

Old 01-29-2008, 02:13 PM

857 posts, read 4,880,141 times
I just looked at a gorgeous brand new 3/2 ranch with a screened porch and granite tops in Hiram. It was around $225,000, so don't dispair. There are some out there.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:58 PM

Thank you. I think my next search will be for a home that has been situated for wheelchair use. I did notice some homes in Palmetto that might work; making doors wider is a low cost issue. Universal design would be ideal, but my search will go on. Cheers!

Old 02-01-2008, 12:06 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,781,195 times
There's $220k single floor ranch condos being built near where Hicks Rd meets the East-West connector in the unincorporated Milford area of Cobb county. Hicks, smyrna ga - Google Maps

Old 02-02-2008, 12:40 PM

Is that a good part of town? Of course we'd like a detached home, but beggars can't be choosers.

We also have a daughter who is going to start school this coming fall. Do you know if that area has a good school system?

We still don't want to spend more than $250k, but to get the right place we will. I'm most concerned with crime. I know that sometimes it just depends on "which side of the tracks" you live on.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:28 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,781,195 times
Yes, it's a good area. I don't think Milford (where these homes are located) has the best schools. If schools are important to you, and you want something in that price range, I'd recommend checking out Powder Springs and West Cobb. You'll have to sacrifice commute a little bit if you are heading into ATL.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:07 PM

6 posts, read 24,517 times
Single story homes are very hard to come across due to the average lot sizes, most counties only require less than 1/4 of an acre, which is too small for a wide ranch plan. Look up Brayson Homes for they are known for developing ranch communities and they are really nice inside. They should have a community in a desirable area and they're within your price range.

Old 02-06-2008, 03:51 PM

Cool. Thanks. It looks like our move to Atlanta is a more probable situation now. My husband will be working off of 166 and 70. It's not necessary that we live real close to that area, but don't want it to be more than 30 miles away. I'll check out those homes. TA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta