Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2015, 05:13 PM

2 posts, read 2,211 times

Advertisements

Greetings!
My wife and I are an inter-racial (not sure why that REALLY needs to be stated, but I saw it in a different post, please accept my embarrassing apology) couple currently living in Brookhaven, who are excited about the idea of moving closer to downtown and we love the revitalization of the O4W area. My Dad grew up there, and it would be especially sentimental for me to live there, after his passing. Any insight about O4W would be of great value and very much appreciated. We would commute north toward Northside hospital each weekday. Is MARTA an option? Has anyone had any "trouble" in that area? The area we can afford is still very early in the "transition" phase around Central Park. Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 06:31 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,694,141 times
Where exactly do you work? I'm sure you're aware that there is a train station right there at the hospital: Medical Center. From there, however, is dependent on where you work, and if there are buses headed that way. I think there are buses that'll take you to either Civic Center or North Avenue train stations that go through Fourth Ward, but i'm not too familiar with the routes. It is a 20 min walk from Central Park to either station if you rather do that, or a 5 min drive if you wanna get dropped off.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:53 PM

2 posts, read 2,211 times
Thanks for your prompt reply fourthwarden! I appreciate your information. Yes I do know about the sta. near my work, and 20 min isn't bad at all really. I like having the option to use the City Transit. I have read a few dated blogs about crime in that zip code. Any comments about safety concerns? For what it's worth, I grew up here, but I have also lived in D.C., and the Oak/SF Bay area.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:20 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,362,007 times
King Memorial MARTA train station is also in the southern fridges of The Old Fourth Ward in the Sweet Auburn district.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:55 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,694,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfudgy View Post
Thanks for your prompt reply fourthwarden! I appreciate your information. Yes I do know about the sta. near my work, and 20 min isn't bad at all really. I like having the option to use the City Transit. I have read a few dated blogs about crime in that zip code. Any comments about safety concerns? For what it's worth, I grew up here, but I have also lived in D.C., and the Oak/SF Bay area.
Hey, sorry for the long wait, but here's something that might help with your crime research: APD Zone 6 Crime Stats

Like you said, it's an up and coming neighborhood, and it does have it's fare share of stuff. That's changing though, it would seem. Contact someone from the crime stats area of the Atlanta Police Dept. and they should be able to give you some better insight.

Also, Old Fourth Ward is Neighborhood Planning Unit M with the NPU M Page. Old Fourth Ward Business Association, and Fourthward Neighbors are your neighborhood associations (one step under and NPU). All of these will have their ears closer to the ground as concerns the area, and any specific questions you have, they would probably be able to answer in place of any of us.

Hope this helps!

Old 06-15-2015, 06:11 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfudgy View Post
Greetings!
My wife and I are an inter-racial (not sure why that REALLY needs to be stated, but I saw it in a different post, please accept my embarrassing apology) couple currently living in Brookhaven, who are excited about the idea of moving closer to downtown and we love the revitalization of the O4W area. My Dad grew up there, and it would be especially sentimental for me to live there, after his passing. Any insight about O4W would be of great value and very much appreciated. We would commute north toward Northside hospital each weekday. Is MARTA an option? Has anyone had any "trouble" in that area? The area we can afford is still very early in the "transition" phase around Central Park. Thank you in advance!
MARTA is an option, but the stations are not close to the center of the neighborhood. King Memorial serves the southern edge and Sweet Auburn. North Ave is closer to Central Park, but is biking to a MARTA a possibility? There are several safe routes and I am sure there are dozens of bike commuters in O4W.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:17 AM

50 posts, read 62,842 times
Additionally, the Inman park station is closer to some people than king memorial.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:30 AM

1,990 posts, read 2,362,007 times
True about the proximity of Inman Park/ Reynoldstown Station on the eastern boundary of Old Fourth Ward.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:10 AM

120 posts, read 154,897 times
I purchased a condo (December 2015) near the same area you are considering. I really love the area and it seems to be just getting better daily. The most appealing aspect of my neighborhood is the connectivity. I'm 3 blocks from the streetcar...easily a 5 minute walk...which opens up all of downtown to me. I'm a 10 minute walk to the Beltline and Inman Quarter. The Path Foundation, Freedom Parkway/Stone Mountain Trail runs right outside my door and opens up all the hot,
eastside neighborhoods by bike. I can and do walk to both Midtown and Piedmont Park...but those are 25+ minute walks...much less by bike.

2 grocery stores service the area..."Beltline Kroger" and the Publix on Piedmont...again, both are walkable, but a bike is much quicker/easier. Only occasionally do I use my car for either.

They recently opened up a dog park near the Boulevard and Freedom Parkway...VERY NICE and well used. There is also a dog park right near Central Park...I just can't recall the name right at this moment.

If I had one complaint, it would be the lack of restaurants in the immediate area. Coming from Poncy Highland, I got spoiled with tons of choices right outside my door. Unfortunately, that's not the case in the Old Fourth Ward West neighborhood. Development/restaurants continue to push west down Highland...they are rezoning properties along that stretch (Boulevard to Glen Iris) as I type this. So things are changing for the better, but it will take time (naturally.) As more people move to the area (an office building is being retro-fitted into apartments at Highland-Baker and Piedmont that will bring lots more folks to the adjacent area) the pace of improvement will only increase, I believe.

As for crime...I have not been a victim...nor have I heard of my neighbors or friends falling victim to crime. I'm a retired police officer, so that may/may not have something to do with my personal experience. I can say that personally, I feel safe in my neighborhood...and I'm out at all hours of the day and evening...on foot and bike. I have yet to experience a single situation where I felt ill at ease or felt the need to extricate myself from the situation. In saying that, I (of course) use common sense and remain alert/vigilant at all times. As someone who retired from law enforcement, I would not discourage someone from moving to this neighborhood based on the levels of crime...I also understand we all have our individual levels of comfort and a sense of safety is subjective.

Lastly, the entire Old Fourth Ward Neighborhood is divided up into four districts...it's a big hood! The area west of the Boulevard (to downtown,) and between Freedom Parkway and North Street is the Old Fourth Ward West neighborhood/association. Their website is https://www.facebook.com/FourthWardWest

I hope I helped at least a little. If you have any further questions, feel free to send me a dm or reply back on this thread.

Good luck, whatever you decide!

Paul

Old 06-15-2015, 04:13 PM

2,092 posts, read 3,224,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InnerCitySoul View Post
I purchased a condo (December 2015) near the same area you are considering. I really love the area and it seems to be just getting better daily. The most appealing aspect of my neighborhood is the connectivity. I'm 3 blocks from the streetcar...easily a 5 minute walk...which opens up all of downtown to me. I'm a 10 minute walk to the Beltline and Inman Quarter. The Path Foundation, Freedom Parkway/Stone Mountain Trail runs right outside my door and opens up all the hot,
eastside neighborhoods by bike. I can and do walk to both Midtown and Piedmont Park...but those are 25+ minute walks...much less by bike.

2 grocery stores service the area..."Beltline Kroger" and the Publix on Piedmont...again, both are walkable, but a bike is much quicker/easier. Only occasionally do I use my car for either.

They recently opened up a dog park near the Boulevard and Freedom Parkway...VERY NICE and well used. There is also a dog park right near Central Park...I just can't recall the name right at this moment.

If I had one complaint, it would be the lack of restaurants in the immediate area. Coming from Poncy Highland, I got spoiled with tons of choices right outside my door. Unfortunately, that's not the case in the Old Fourth Ward West neighborhood. Development/restaurants continue to push west down Highland...they are rezoning properties along that stretch (Boulevard to Glen Iris) as I type this. So things are changing for the better, but it will take time (naturally.) As more people move to the area (an office building is being retro-fitted into apartments at Highland-Baker and Piedmont that will bring lots more folks to the adjacent area) the pace of improvement will only increase, I believe.

As for crime...I have not been a victim...nor have I heard of my neighbors or friends falling victim to crime. I'm a retired police officer, so that may/may not have something to do with my personal experience. I can say that personally, I feel safe in my neighborhood...and I'm out at all hours of the day and evening...on foot and bike. I have yet to experience a single situation where I felt ill at ease or felt the need to extricate myself from the situation. In saying that, I (of course) use common sense and remain alert/vigilant at all times. As someone who retired from law enforcement, I would not discourage someone from moving to this neighborhood based on the levels of crime...I also understand we all have our individual levels of comfort and a sense of safety is subjective.

Lastly, the entire Old Fourth Ward Neighborhood is divided up into four districts...it's a big hood! The area west of the Boulevard (to downtown,) and between Freedom Parkway and North Street is the Old Fourth Ward West neighborhood/association. Their website is https://www.facebook.com/FourthWardWest

I hope I helped at least a little. If you have any further questions, feel free to send me a dm or reply back on this thread.

Good luck, whatever you decide!

Paul
Great post...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: