Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 07:59 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,258,410 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to come up with resource information for people moving intown who want to know what kinds of activities their kids will have available to them. So many people think that if you have kids you must live in the suburbs. Since I have no children, and therefore no first-hand knowledge, I'd love to hear from knowledgeable intown parents about what kinds of activities their kids participate in.

Also, I already have links to a number of intown parents groups, but would appreciate any and all links you could provide.

Many thanks for your assistance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 05:00 AM

8 posts, read 54,186 times
My husband and I run a Midtown blog, and we recently posted about activities and resources available to kids in the neighborhood. The link for the post is AroundMidtown.com. I hope this helps!

E.A.
aroundmidtown.com

Last edited by aroundmidtown; 01-22-2008 at 05:10 AM..

Old 01-22-2008, 08:44 AM

Thanks.

Any other parents out there with suggestions? Any parents in Decatur, Inman Park, Va-Hi, Morningside, Buckhead, Loring Heights, Grant Park, etc. on this board? What activities do your kids participate in?

Or maybe I should ask suburban parents what activities their kids participate in that they think they won't find intown?

Old 01-22-2008, 09:00 AM

401 posts, read 1,726,170 times
We live in Decatur. There is a TON of stuff for kids here. For babies and toddlers, there are music classes at Decatur Rec and at Tessitura. There are also story times and craft times at the library. In Oakhurst there are two informal playgroups (anyone can join) one meets on Thursday mornings at Oakhurst Park and the other on Friday evenings at Oakhurst Park. The Waldorf School also has a playgroup for the little ones.

There are also nature classes for toddlers/preschoolers (called Wild Things) at Oakhurst Garden. You can register for them at the Garden or through the Decatur Rec. Hmm...what else.. oh yeah... there are several baby yoga classes where mom and baby/toddler get some yoga time. One is at Decatur Hot Yoga. There are also activities centered around the preschools in the area - most of which serve babies and toddlers through preK or kindergarten (Decatur Presbyterian Children's Community, Oakhurst Cooperative Preschool, Decatur First Methodist Preschool, The Phoenix School, College Heights Child Development Center, Holy Trinity Preschool). Callanwolde Fine Arts Center has toddler music and dance classes and Atlanta Gymnastics Center and the local YMCAs have mommy and me gymnastics and swimming classes.

Now re older preschoolers and school age kids. Pretty much if your kid wants it.. it's here. Decatur Rec sponsors lacrosse, soccer, baseball and basketball leagues, a swim team and is working on a junior tennis team. They also have dance, acting, martial arts and art classes for kids. They even have instructional classes for the 3-5 year olds in soccer, golf, art, music and baseball. The Decatur DeKalb and Eastlake YMCAs also offer similar programs for preschoolers and school age kids.

There are also private providers of all of these things. Decatur Ballet, Emory University (tennis), Push Push Theatre, Callanwolde Fine Arts Center, Atlanta Youth Soccer, Druid Hills Youth Sports (baseball), Amercian Gymnastics Center, Color Wheel (art), Wall Crawler Rock Club (rock climbing). We also have some horseback riding nearby if that's your thing.

There are more, but that's what comes to mind. I can't think of anything that my kids like to do that they can't get involved in here (well, I guess snow skiing is out). I even have a kid who flamenco dances - I bet you can't find that in the suburbs.

There are also a bunch of summer camps - some more general and others focused on a particular activity.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:05 AM

cmtiger, thank you so much! That's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for!

Excellent. Any parents in other neighborhoods out there who can offer suggestions?

Old 01-22-2008, 11:47 AM

179 posts, read 555,643 times
I know it's not exactly 'in town', but East Point Playgroup has a Yahoo! group and meets weekly. There's an indoor group that meets at the College Park Rec Center and an outdoor group that meets at Sumner Park in East Point. My toddler loves the Rec Center Kid's Gym and we make it a point to go weekly. There's a strong group of parents in this area and a lot of young families with toddlers.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:02 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,231,837 times
I live in Candler Park and much of our activities we find out about through classmates and their parents.

It really seems like just about every kid is in AYSA (Atlanta Youth Soccer Association).

One friend on mine has her teenaged son in Cotillion, where he is learning proper social manners (dining, dancing, walking with ladies - it's very charming).

He also does karate and piano. My son does soccer and piano and is going to join football this summer.

The Frasier Centery, the Lake Claire Land Trust, and Mary Lin ES always have stuff going on. There's Fernbank Museums, too.

Of course, Braves games are easy to get to using MARTA.

And, yes, Emory has lots of programs and camps, though it's a little pricey at $200/wk.

But, I have to say that we never seem to run out of things to do.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:07 PM

340 posts, read 1,571,714 times
We live in down town Atlanta and would like to know any soccer team for a 12 years old boy. He has never played sports. Is it too late? Please help.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:33 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,231,837 times
Try AYSA.

AYSA Announcements

I know they have rec versus select teams. I also know they're more competitive as the kids get older. Call someone over there and talk to them.

It's never to late! He might have a learning curve but he can do it! I picked it up at age 24!

Old 01-22-2008, 01:21 PM

These are all excellent resources. Thank you all very much.

Have any of your kids ever participated in any of the children's activities at Callanwolde?

What are you favorite intown summer camps/activities. I know Piedmont Park has a summer camp. And there's a circus camp in Lake Claire. What are some other good summer camps?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta