Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 02:59 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,790,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Yeup, if some of that surface parking was emphasized over using the street, it should be fine. Granted, I don't know how much of that is purely private parking vs. general use lots. Ensuring enough parking should defiantly be on the to do list, but I think the businesses will be happy enough to see streetcars in the area.

Yeah, dunno, feels pretty close, especially considering the traffic around Krog. I get the stop on the Beltline, but the one on Irwin just seems like it'll get in the way. Wouldn't be too bad to me if they pulled it down around the corner on Radolph. Close enough to serve the area, but off the busier road.

That said, Randolph is pretty narrow, with only one traffic lane on each side, and only one parking lane. It might be too tight for a stop.

Interesting. I'm surprised they're still using the phasing pictures, considering the plans changed not too long ago. I guess the phasing is still loosely being applied, though priority is given to routes with funding secured?
Move the stop closer to Edgewood/Boulevard and create a center island stop on Randolph at Edgewood, removing the on street parking for the stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 03:27 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,678,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Move the stop closer to Edgewood/Boulevard and create a center island stop on Randolph at Edgewood, removing the on street parking for the stop.
Keep in mind that the Howard School is right there at the intersection of Irwin and Randolph. Having a stop at that, or near that, intersection is a good idea in the long run, considering APS is planning on rebooting the school at some point.

The center stop might work, it would have to be tiny though.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:15 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,138,437 times
Quote:
This is a good question. There's a street parking lane that could be removed to give a bit more room to the travel/streetcar lanes, while keeping bike lanes along the curbs. It looks to me as if there is more than enough parking lot space for every day use.

Here's apparently the plan from the TIGER 7 grant:
Not sure if I'm a fan of this route. It just looks like there's too much track that's parallel to the future Beltline route. What I'd like to see them do is go down Boulevard and east on Decatur, and then that would be a much easier transition onto the Beltline route. Plus that route would pass through the quarter-mile radius around the King Memorial MARTA station, giving the eventual Streetcar-to-Eastside-Beltline route indirect connectivity to the east-west heavy rail lines.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:42 PM

7,579 posts, read 10,731,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Not sure if I'm a fan of this route. It just looks like there's too much track that's parallel to the future Beltline route. What I'd like to see them do is go down Boulevard and east on Decatur, and then that would be a much easier transition onto the Beltline route. Plus that route would pass through the quarter-mile radius around the King Memorial MARTA station, giving the eventual Streetcar-to-Eastside-Beltline route indirect connectivity to the east-west heavy rail lines.
I get where you're going with this, but functionally it can be problematic. The caveat to running a route in mixed traffic is you don't want to increase risks of it getting stuck in traffic. Traveling on Boulevard and Decatur on top of Edgewood/Auburn just increases the chance there is another backup infinitely.

Those are on the street grid as major arterials and will always be more heavily traveled too.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:51 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,678,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
It appears there will be a bit of this anyway. From the Beltline 2nd Quarter Briefing:

(jsvh's thread)

Old 06-23-2015, 05:19 AM

Quote:
It appears there will be a bit of this anyway. From the Beltline 2nd Quarter Briefing:

(jsvh's thread)
I prefer the King Memorial/Memorial Drive route over a new tunnel at Husley Yard.

Old 06-23-2015, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Keep in mind that the Howard School is right there at the intersection of Irwin and Randolph. Having a stop at that, or near that, intersection is a good idea in the long run, considering APS is planning on rebooting the school at some point.

The center stop might work, it would have to be tiny though.
I do not see an issue with having stops .2 miles away from each other, especially when they will serve 2 different activity nodes.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:03 AM
bu2

23,944 posts, read 14,751,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
I get where you're going with this, but functionally it can be problematic. The caveat to running a route in mixed traffic is you don't want to increase risks of it getting stuck in traffic. Traveling on Boulevard and Decatur on top of Edgewood/Auburn just increases the chance there is another backup infinitely.

Those are on the street grid as major arterials and will always be more heavily traveled too.
And the obvious detriment to cars of being on a major arterial like Decatur or Boulevard. Boulevard can be very congested north of there. This would add further delay.

Old 06-23-2015, 01:27 PM

Default Why BeltLine transit is so important

Why the Beltline transit plan is so important
Quote:
The first reason is equity; we need to make sure that everyone can benefit from the transportation aspects of the Beltline, at all times. If it ends up a route for only physically-able cyclists in good weather, then its service in respect to mobility is limited. Gravel writes: “Winter cold, summer humidity, pouring rain, driving snow, the dark of night, visual impairment, physical disability, physical injury, chronic pain, heavy or cumbersome loads, travel time, and long distances are all good reasons that we need transit service.” - See more at: Why the Beltline transit plan is so important
Great quote.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:43 AM

Streetcar expansion ruffles city development committee - Atlanta INtown Paper
Councilperson Keisha Bottoms is an idiot. Campbellton Rd does not have the density to support a streetcar. A better transit option is BRT, in bus only lanes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta