Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2015, 05:46 PM

8 posts, read 15,756 times

Advertisements

Hey all! Today I received a speeding ticket in a northern GA town, and was wondering if anybody has gone through an Out-Of-State ticket experience. My driver's license and plate are from Michigan. According to the law:

Under the DLC, the states make sure that any information on traffic violations by an out-of-state driver is received by the home state. The DLC is made up of 45 states. The only states not included are:

Georgia
Massachusetts
Michigan
Tennessee
Wisconsin

Both Georgia and Michigan are exceptions to this law. The question now becomes, should I simply pay the fine and not worry about any points, or should I challenge the ticket? I read elsewhere that if I challenge the ticket and lose, it would then for sure be communicated to Michigan. Just wondering if any out of state drivers (especially Michigan) received a ticket in one of the states with the DLC exception.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 06:22 PM

Bump. Any out of state tickets folks out there?

Old 06-23-2015, 06:32 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,436,891 times
I just paid mine of like $385. It never effected my insurance.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:35 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,359,435 times
It has been my experience with EVERY ticket I have ever gotten in our great state (I got quite a few in my youth with my Oldsmobile Cuttlass with a big 4 barrel V-8 engine, but that is another story; loved that car!) I have been found guilty and had to pay the fine. Just pay it and save yourself much trouble!

Old 06-23-2015, 07:41 PM

I will pay it for sure. But it's 3 points on GA law. I'm debating if I should plead not guilty to reduce/remove the point, or just pay the fine and not worry about the points transferring to Michigan. Definitely will pay either way.

Old 06-26-2015, 02:47 PM

34 posts, read 44,375 times
Go to court and speak to the prosecutor. Its more than likely you can get a reduction to where it doesn't affect your license.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:50 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,474,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
I just paid mine of like $385. It never effected my insurance.
$385? wow! what were you doing, 185 in a 55?

let me guess, one of those construction areas with no actual construction going on...

Old 06-27-2015, 03:32 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,819,152 times
I would just pay it. The only speeding tickets I have ever gotten were in GA and that was before I moved here from Alabama. Now, I'm not sure about the DLC thing, but I can tell you two things. Years ago, Alabama nor Louisiana cared that I got a ticket in Georgia; I find this out when going to renew my drivers license. Fewer years ago, it appears that Georgia has a work around where the driver is issued a temporary GA's license that then makes it a thing that registers in other states.

Unless you were not actually speeding, think you can figure out a way to prove you were not actually speeding, cannot stand another point, or think the fine is especially excessive, life is going to be much easier if you just pay the ticket. Fighting it is not really worth the aggravation or time it takes to do it. I mean seriously if you have to hire an attorney or expect to get an accurate report of when the officer's laser gun was last calibrated, then you're going to need to have a lot of time on your hands.

Unless you have a DUI, then it is not worth the hassle.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:51 AM

Thanks for the replies. I am just curious if Ga would reach out to Mi about it. If it will show up on my license (as points), I might want to fight it to get the points off. I have a clean record so it's not a big deal, except I wouldn't want my insurance to go up. I was just hoping somebody knows it the points would transfer, because I know it would be a waste of time to call and ask someone .

Old 06-28-2015, 11:56 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,577,041 times
Google is your friend...

Which states have reciprocal agreements about tickets? | CarInsurance.com

It says that NO, GA and MI are NOT members of the DLC (points sharing states).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta