Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 06:59 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,214,074 times

Advertisements

Which Atlanta ZIP codes have the highest prevalence of HIV/AIDS? - Atlanta Business Chronicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 09:06 AM

2,278 posts, read 3,014,680 times
Which area has the highest prevalence of left handed people?

Old 06-23-2015, 09:23 AM

2,613 posts, read 4,122,972 times
I do not think anything helpful can come out of this article. Just because someone has a residence somewhere, so what? People travel all over daily and even if someone does live somewhere, what does it matter? It also was odd to me that the zip codes listed are mostly intown but from my understanding on this board, these areas do not have very many minorities, so I don't understand the last few lines about minorities. This seems to be two different datasets that should be in two different articles.

I think this thread needs to be yanked. There is absolutely nothing good that can come out of it.

And why is it in the Atlanta Business Chronicle? This stinks.

Old 06-23-2015, 09:42 AM

2,092 posts, read 3,214,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
I do not think anything helpful can come out of this article. Just because someone has a residence somewhere, so what? People travel all over daily and even if someone does live somewhere, what does it matter? It also was odd to me that the zip codes listed are mostly intown but from my understanding on this board, these areas do not have very many minorities, so I don't understand the last few lines about minorities. This seems to be two different datasets that should be in two different articles.

I think this thread needs to be yanked. There is absolutely nothing good that can come out of it.

If this thread offends/confuses you (or others), just ask the moderator to delete it.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:13 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,724,199 times
This could be attributed to the prevalence of treatment centers and high quality health centers nearby.

Old 06-23-2015, 12:31 PM

364 posts, read 416,268 times
Quote:

Umm a lot of intown has larger gay populations which is why they are much higher. I believe that regardless of the females being higher for minorities the biggest predictor of HIV risk is still regarding MSM activities. Also for sure Midtown correlates fine with the minority aspect because Bulldogs is in the heart of Midtown and is predominantly caters to black gay males. There is also that place on West Peachtree near the Publix which I think also caters similarly based on seeing only black men on the patio.

Old 06-23-2015, 01:58 PM

2,613 posts, read 4,122,972 times
Perhaps you may have missed the listing of zip codes. 30309 is just ONE zip code in an entire litany of zip codes. For sure, it is the only one in Midtown. The others are all outside of Midtown but mostly intown. The point being, we've talked time and time again and the consensus is that the majority of folk intown are now White. At least that is the talk on C-D when we have discussed this subject of who is now living intown. The consensus is that most minorities have been priced out of intown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeanuts View Post
Umm a lot of intown has larger gay populations which is why they are much higher. I believe that regardless of the females being higher for minorities the biggest predictor of HIV risk is still regarding MSM activities. Also for sure Midtown correlates fine with the minority aspect because Bulldogs is in the heart of Midtown and is predominantly caters to black gay males. There is also that place on West Peachtree near the Publix which I think also caters similarly based on seeing only black men on the patio.

Old 06-23-2015, 02:41 PM

364 posts, read 416,268 times
30308 and 30309 are Midtown

Old 06-23-2015, 03:28 PM

4,762 posts, read 5,395,232 times
Regardless of where people live 80 % percent of cases are African American men and Atlanta is fifth in the nation. Midtown also have a number of sex shops that have glory holes for sexual activity and sex parties that occurs daily, and Flex which have lots of unsafe sexual activity. I think the Fulton County Health Department need to get involved. For instance NYC and Manhattan have laws that don't allow two people in a Adult store booth. Also mobile technology have apps that makes sex available within in your zip code.

Last edited by Atlwarrior; 06-23-2015 at 03:42 PM..

Old 06-23-2015, 04:10 PM

7,574 posts, read 10,702,885 times
Quote:
Perhaps you may have missed the listing of zip codes. 30309 is just ONE zip code in an entire litany of zip codes. For sure, it is the only one in Midtown. The others are all outside of Midtown but mostly intown. The point being, we've talked time and time again and the consensus is that the majority of folk intown are now White. At least that is the talk on C-D when we have discussed this subject of who is now living intown. The consensus is that most minorities have been priced out of intown.
Lovely,

You really need to learn to do more demographic research and obtain a better understanding for how to process data -and- multiple variables.

Large parts of South and Southwest Atlanta where the map shows the darkest shades indicating more HIV cases per population are 90%+ black (ie. zip codes 30314, 30310, 30311 just to name a few). This becomes more prevalent and in more places once you look at individual census tracts as zip codes are large and can straddle different demographics in different locations.

Additionally, I'm afraid you have misleadingly convinced yourself that gay people only live in Midtown. That is far from the case. They outpace the state average in many more neighborhoods throughout the city. Also, gay people aren't a homogenous group. They don't all want to be in the same living situation. There are reasons they gravitate to the same areas together, but some are older, some are younger, some want to live in a highrise, some want to be in a subdivision, some are single, some aren't, some can't afford to buy a home and must rent, and some are loaded and can buy a mini mansion. Gay people as a group are a more varied population with many different needs. What binds them together is mostly their sexual preference and that they have faced many of the same social battles together, but their living needs vary.

It is a sad, but harsh reality. HIV disproportionately affects gay males and African Americans. It is well researched and well established.

Nothing about the this article stinks and much of it makes complete sense. This is a real health issue and we need to be mature and address it head on. This is not the type of issue to hide from the public, but one the public needs to be aware of.

Quote:
I do not think anything helpful can come out of this article. Just because someone has a residence somewhere, so what? People travel all over daily and even if someone does live somewhere, what does it matter?
Apparently it does matter, because the data reflects it. period. This is the purpose of public education. The map looks the way it does largely from the black and gay population, but it might not be the only variables at play (ie. fewer kids per capita, more people who haven't found life-long mates...singles actively trying to find love and having multiple partners while doing it, and possibly things that haven't been figured out yet.) But that is a reality the public should be aware of. This thread should be kept open. We should merely report unhealthy comments that are racist and homophobic that lead to unhealthy discussion from the topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta