Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 10:12 AM
bu2

24,094 posts, read 14,879,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
I've lived in Georgia my whole life--between Atlanta, Dekalb, Gwinnett, Athens, and most of young summers in middle-Georgia -(where Nathan Deal is from). Before 1980 (and in some ways, quite a bit after that) the idea of "metro Atlanta" is pretty irrelevant--Gwinnett County was the boonies, and Forsyth County was something out of "Deliverance"--and Dekalb county was mostly segregated. I am old enough to remember JB Stoner running for office, having the KKK plan to rally outside of my school (it rained, so they moved it to Stone Mountain), and my first vote for John Lewis in his first run for Congress (met him years later at a Piccadilly Cafeteria--he was warm and genuine, although his entourage?/bodyguards? we're less than thrilled to see me dropping by to say hello). As a youth, I remember seeing the "black side of town" at my Grandmother's and thinking that the homes could have been the same shacks that slaves lived. I have some experiences further out in modern Georgia, and have seen how, some poor to lower-middle-class whites see themselves a bit closer to poor-to middle class blacks than they see themselves to more affluent whites, and you could probably say the same about wealthier, more educated whites. I don't think it is a majority thing--but I do think it is a trend--and it's definitely not all good--I think a good bit of poor/lower-middle class folks of all races hate the affluent whatever the race.

I get the impression hate is spreading. People get bent out of shape about the smallest thing. The popular thing to hate a couple of years ago was soccer moms driving SUVs. I don't know how many times I've read millenials say they will be glad when all the boomers die off (on many different forums and types of forums). In Atlanta you see a lot of hostility directed towards other neighborhoods (in many cases the same ethnic group and "class"). See the various cityhood and school redistricting debates in the area. Far more than political structures that makes working together difficult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 12:02 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,785,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
[/b]

I get the impression hate is spreading. People get bent out of shape about the smallest thing. The popular thing to hate a couple of years ago was soccer moms driving SUVs. I don't know how many times I've read millenials say they will be glad when all the boomers die off (on many different forums and types of forums). In Atlanta you see a lot of hostility directed towards other neighborhoods (in many cases the same ethnic group and "class"). See the various cityhood and school redistricting debates in the area. Far more than political structures that makes working together difficult.
I just think that it's just human nature to try to find your "group", and to find comfort in blaming your (or the "world's") woes on another "group"--it really does not matter if the blame is earned or not, there is a comfort in it. In a way, the Internet can make it worse--it's so much easier now to totally insulate yourself with people that "think" exactly the same way you do (of course, at that point it is hardly "thinking" at all--more of a circle-jerk). While, it sometimes gets a little ugly--I like that this forum is pretty much the opposite of that--you hear a lot of viewpoints--and while minds aren't changed that often--you have to at least think about your own ideas a little bit, and maybe have a little more respect for someone who does not share your worldview.

Old 06-27-2015, 05:57 PM
bu2

24,094 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
I just think that it's just human nature to try to find your "group", and to find comfort in blaming your (or the "world's") woes on another "group"--it really does not matter if the blame is earned or not, there is a comfort in it. In a way, the Internet can make it worse--it's so much easier now to totally insulate yourself with people that "think" exactly the same way you do (of course, at that point it is hardly "thinking" at all--more of a circle-jerk). While, it sometimes gets a little ugly--I like that this forum is pretty much the opposite of that--you hear a lot of viewpoints--and while minds aren't changed that often--you have to at least think about your own ideas a little bit, and maybe have a little more respect for someone who does not share your worldview.
There are 3 or 4 who regularly get rude who I put on ignore. But others like jsvh I find interesting even though we almost never agree on anything.

Old 06-28-2015, 09:57 PM

225 posts, read 277,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
I'm of purview of that vote and action before Atlanta City Council, that wasn't to sabotage anything. That was an amendment as just a way for other areas of the city to get funding for transportation initiatives. It still passed and Reed will not veto it. Moores Mill Road extension will occur and so will the Publix-anchored shopping center redeveloping the old Moores Mill Shopping Center site along Marietta Blvd.
So I suppose Felicia Moore's opposition to the amendment, and ultimate vote against, was just political posturing? It has been clear that no one from Reed's camp is in full support of this project, or anything in Felicia Moore's district. The price for speaking up against the mayor, I suppose.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:21 AM

1,990 posts, read 2,361,554 times
I think that Reed is okay (certainly better than Bill Campbell) on par with Shirley Franklin. That said, he IS too prone to baby fits. A successful politician has to develop a thicker skin.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:12 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,485,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by space cadet View Post
So I suppose Felicia Moore's opposition to the amendment, and ultimate vote against, was just political posturing? It has been clear that no one from Reed's camp is in full support of this project, or anything in Felicia Moore's district. The price for speaking up against the mayor, I suppose.
In this city, anytime somebody shows favoritism to any area of people (legitimate or not) it will always result in controversy. I personally like Councilmember Moore, but she is too idealistic at times. Her voting against her own bill shows that she would rather stick to idealism versus realism on this issue. I've lived in far too many other major cities to know she means well, but it will never be that idealistic in this nuance world we reside in.

I heard and saw from Caesar Mitchell's mouth with my own ears that the Moores Mill Road Extension will be approved and so will the Publix-anchored proposed shopping center.

Old 07-02-2015, 06:11 AM

225 posts, read 277,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
In this city, anytime somebody shows favoritism to any area of people (legitimate or not) it will always result in controversy. I personally like Councilmember Moore, but she is too idealistic at times. Her voting against her own bill shows that she would rather stick to idealism versus realism on this issue. I've lived in far too many other major cities to know she means well, but it will never be that idealistic in this nuance world we reside in.

I heard and saw from Caesar Mitchell's mouth with my own ears that the Moores Mill Road Extension will be approved and so will the Publix-anchored proposed shopping center.
From the Buckhead View BuckheadViewCouncil OKs Moores Mill Rd. project funds, but challenge feared - BuckheadView

"Hudson pointed out, “The city’s Law Department clearly stated, several times, that Felicia’s legislation met the criteria for use of Transportation Impact Fees and clearly stated that to divide the remaining unallocated funds equally 12 ways would not meet the criteria nor the law. All of us in the audience were able to understand these simple facts.”"

Seem clear to me she was the one being realistic in this case. If the law department is telling you an amendment is illegal, and will result in legal challenges, it seems prudent to listen. I don't see the idealism in that. Is it idealistic to believe that City Council will pass legal legislation? If so, then we are all doomed.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:12 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,485,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by space cadet View Post
From the Buckhead View BuckheadViewCouncil OKs Moores Mill Rd. project funds, but challenge feared - BuckheadView

"Hudson pointed out, “The city’s Law Department clearly stated, several times, that Felicia’s legislation met the criteria for use of Transportation Impact Fees and clearly stated that to divide the remaining unallocated funds equally 12 ways would not meet the criteria nor the law. All of us in the audience were able to understand these simple facts.”"

Seem clear to me she was the one being realistic in this case. If the law department is telling you an amendment is illegal, and will result in legal challenges, it seems prudent to listen. I don't see the idealism in that. Is it idealistic to believe that City Council will pass legal legislation? If so, then we are all doomed.
Well, the 7 day period for a veto by the Mayor has long passed as of 6/23/15. Basically, it's awaiting the signature from the Mayor's Office. Anyways, I've seen things that are actually irrational done here and elsewhere, so we are far being not doomed.

Old 12-31-2015, 03:23 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,752,224 times
What is Kasim Reed biggest accomplishment.. bring the city police force to 2k or helping Jamestown bring us PCM?

Old 12-31-2015, 03:30 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,745,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
What is Kasim Reed biggest accomplishment.. bring the city police force to 2k or helping Jamestown bring us PCM?
Streetcar, Beltline, Bike lanes, bringing more investment to intown neighborhoods, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta