Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 06:46 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,690,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lboy826 View Post
Because of the nature of many of Atlanta's neighborhoods, there'd be a major outcry if the routes were relegated to just the main streets. We don't have a strict grid (even like Houston area), and some of those lines need to reach farther into the neighborhoods to accommodate the people that need transit. Some of those subdivisions are quite deep.

I do agree that some of those Clayton routes could have been designed better. Why not a line straight down Tara? Or straight down SR 85? But once again, Tara, and SR 85 aren't the only areas of Clayton that need to be served. Some of those lines need to go into the neighborhood. It just needs to be.. .executed better, I think.

I wonder if Atlanta would consider blowing up the bus system and redesigning?
I think it would be a decent time to do so. Maybe once they've tested out those articulated buses, they'll establish high-capacity routes along major arterials and highways? It's hard to think of how they'll do better, considering just how disjointed and squirming our roads are throughout the metro...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 09:14 PM

2,426 posts, read 2,473,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
Sounds good!

Hopefully the bus shelter issues are taken care of soon.
Hope so too, but it looks like one of those Clayton county Commissioner's keep confusing the issue and removing an ordinance that Marta keeps trying to get passed to put a Shelter Up at the Justice Center.. His excuse is that until marta honors an agreement to pick up trash then expanded stops can be granted on county property, makes no sense... What they dont realize is the Justice Center is a Main bus Stop and Transfer point anyway and needs a Shelter there. Futhermore if Trash is an issue on County property, the Bus Shelter stops have Trash Cans on them so in essence it would be cleaned and maintained more than a regular stop so why remove or deny that permit.. Now when services starts we will have people standing and no where to sit at a main Transfer station because a Commissioner is blocking Marta's efforts in this case. Please see clayton county commissioner's meeting video from the 4th and what was on the agenda and how it was removed...

Old 08-06-2015, 09:21 PM

Clayton county citizens and marta bus riders need to start going to the Commissioner's meetings and pay attention to what's going on if they ever want to get this Bus Shelter issue resolved... That one commissioner could care less about the Citizens having shelters...Shame

Old 08-07-2015, 07:34 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,849,415 times
Quote:
Because of the nature of many of Atlanta's neighborhoods, there'd be a major outcry if the routes were relegated to just the main streets. We don't have a strict grid (even like Houston area), and some of those lines need to reach farther into the neighborhoods to accommodate the people that need transit. Some of those subdivisions are quite deep.

I do agree that some of those Clayton routes could have been designed better. Why not a line straight down Tara? Or straight down SR 85? But once again, Tara, and SR 85 aren't the only areas of Clayton that need to be served. Some of those lines need to go into the neighborhood. It just needs to be.. .executed better, I think.

MARTA currently has the same firm that redesigned Houston's bus routes, looking at how MARTA can better design it's bus routes.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:41 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,782,223 times
Tomorrow is your big day Clayton County! Congrats! You will have the 3rd best transit system in GA (by county) in less than 24 hours

Old 08-07-2015, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
Tomorrow is your big day Clayton County! Congrats! You will have the 3rd best transit system in GA (by county) in less than 24 hours
Funny but True, if they can ever Get the Shelter issue resolved... Does anyone know how may more Routes are promised in December and when will Old Dixie be covered?

Old 08-07-2015, 02:00 PM

4,684 posts, read 6,132,633 times
I still cant understand why they would end the Route 191 at the international terminal and the marta station is at the domestic terminal. I dont think the airport wants that shuttle to be used as a Marta transfer.

Old 08-07-2015, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Clayton county citizens and marta bus riders need to start going to the Commissioner's meetings and pay attention to what's going on if they ever want to get this Bus Shelter issue resolved... That one commissioner could care less about the Citizens having shelters...Shame

Please see the First few min of the Commissioner's Meeting from August 4th in reference to Shelter at Justice Center, interesting... PDF available for Agenda and Min after Completion as well. Tell me what you Think

Board of Commissioners - Clayton County Government.

Old 08-07-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
I still cant understand why they would end the Route 191 at the international terminal and the marta station is at the domestic terminal. I dont think the airport wants that shuttle to be used as a Marta transfer.
You have a valid point...

Old 08-08-2015, 04:31 AM

6,420 posts, read 6,519,861 times
Quote:

I totally agree, they would have to survey the riders first, find out where the riders currently live and where they currently travel to. The best thing to do is build 4 central bus only stations geographically between all 4 lines, and allow the buses to travel to and from them. Example if a bus leaves the West End goes out a route, instead of returning back to west end it should end at either a east or west station like King Memorial or Ashby. That very same bus could also go north to say Civic Center or Peachtree Center. The people in the neighborhoods dont need a stop right in front of their homes. Maybe instead at the front, middle and back of the heavy riding neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta