Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2015, 10:52 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,227,108 times

Advertisements

Let's we,,,,put a prime pro venue in DeKalb or, a more affluent area like Cobb with residents who can afford the $10 beer night..decisions...decisions....what to do...what to do!....besides, if they put it in Atlanta they would "demand a new stadium" in as little as 20 years...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 11:08 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,348,885 times
Well technically they play in the new Mercedes Stadium so I don't know how much economic impact a practice field + offices would create for the area. Kind of like how Flowery Branch was so transformed into such an economic powerhouse by the Falcons. 3,500 seats is likely smaller than most high school stadiums so I guess you might pack in a few nights/yr for it. Glad Dekalb gave up buying it even though the area is pretty rough.

Old 11-07-2015, 08:32 AM

2,390 posts, read 4,403,233 times
Dekalb didn't give it up though lol. They wanted it, the costs just turned out to be more than what they offered.

Old 11-07-2015, 09:13 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,691,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Let's we,,,,put a prime pro venue in DeKalb or, a more affluent area like Cobb with residents who can afford the $10 beer night..decisions...decisions....what to do...what to do!....besides, if they put it in Atlanta they would "demand a new stadium" in as little as 20 years...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mishap View Post
Well technically they play in the new Mercedes Stadium so I don't know how much economic impact a practice field + offices would create for the area. Kind of like how Flowery Branch was so transformed into such an economic powerhouse by the Falcons. 3,500 seats is likely smaller than most high school stadiums so I guess you might pack in a few nights/yr for it. Glad Dekalb gave up buying it even though the area is pretty rough.
Exactly. This wasn't the team's home stadium. This was their practice facility. Moving it out of Dekalb isn't much of a loss, or gain for anyone but the team (and the Dekalb taxpayers), and having it not next to MARTA isn't a big deal at all.

It's going to be a bit like having the Falcon's camp way out in Flowery. Not too big a deal for the fans, or the city it's in.

Old 11-07-2015, 10:57 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,099,906 times
This makes way more sense in Cobb anyway. I know Dekalb has a lot of Africans in the Clarkston and Stone Mountain area, and soccer is huge with them. But its still not as big as the number of soccer heads in the northern suburbs I would imagine. Dekalb doesnt need this anyway, they have too much other stuff to deal with than waste money on a practice facility for a pro team.

Old 11-07-2015, 02:15 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I can't wait until most of Cobb becomes an undesirable area in 10-15 years.
I think you should seriously reconsider this extreme wish. I hope you do, anyway.

Old 11-07-2015, 05:50 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
I think you should seriously reconsider this extreme wish. I hope you do, anyway.
Why would most of Cobb become suddenly undesirable? That isn't happening within most of our lifetimes if ever. I think some people are buying into this theory that the suburbs are becoming slums, not realizing that it's just a few suburbs that are becoming that way - like where a lot of low-income people are moving. I don't see this "trend" affecting Cobb all that much in the foreseeable future.

Old 11-07-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
I hope you don't think this is unique to Atlanta...it has happened in almost every city in the past couple of decades. The teams hold the city hostage until they get the latest/newest/most expensive new arena they can possibly dream of. It's just the way of professional sports these days.

Old 11-07-2015, 05:59 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,783,663 times
Dekalb could still build the 7 youth soccer fields and keep most of the 12 million plus tax incentives that they were going to throw at Atlanta United.

Old 11-07-2015, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Dekalb could still build the 7 youth soccer fields and keep most of the 12 million plus tax incentives that they were going to throw at Atlanta United.
Dear Youth Soccer,

We don't care about you or your boring game. We're just in it for the $.

Love,
DeKalb County
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta