Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2015, 04:53 PM

1 posts, read 962 times

Advertisements

Hey All,

So my wife and I along with our 2 soon to be 3 kids will be relocating from South FL to East Cobb. Whereas in FL we are limited to the choices we have for electric/gas it appears that GA gives people plenty of choices. The house we will be in has a dual setup. Gas for stove, hot water heater, and heat. Electric for everything else. I've been trying to do research on all the gas and electric providers but have not come up with much yet. Can anyone recommend reputable best bang for the buck utility providers that service the east cobb area?

Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 05:19 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,313,867 times
Georgia has a very strange arrangement for natural gas. It switched from a monopoly to a situation where you choose your gas marketer around the time I moved here about 16 years ago, also from Florida.

Basically, you choose the company who will sell you the gas, but the gas will still be delivered by Atlanta Gas Light. For whatever reason, the state effectively added a middle man.

Electric service is a more traditional model. You'll likely only have one possible provider. I would guess either Georgia Power or Cobb EMC for East Cobb. Could be Marietta Power if you're within the city limits.

Good luck with your move!

Old 06-25-2015, 05:27 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,161,779 times
These links might help...

Gas rate comparison

Electric rate comparison

Cobb County Water rates

I use Cobb EMC for electric and SCANA for gas, and make my own water when I need to (jk!)

Old 06-26-2015, 07:22 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,560,265 times
Fubar's links above are good, especially for natural gas. For an easier to digest explanation of how to make an informed decision, check out Clark Howard's natural gas basics...

Clark Howard: Natural Gas Basics | Clark Howard

The article is a few years old, but most of it still holds true, and it can help alleviate some of the 'analysis paralysis' you might encounter when it comes to things like choosing a provider, paying monthly, locking in a fixed rate, etc.

Old 06-27-2015, 07:53 AM

1,189 posts, read 1,161,779 times
Good point, DJ... digestion isn't always easy, especially when it comes to crunching the numbers.

Suppose it should also be mentioned (although it might be obvious) that even when a certain provider is chosen, doesn't mean that you're necessarily locked in for life.

Old 06-27-2015, 08:12 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,819,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarbundy View Post
These links might help...

Gas rate comparison

Electric rate comparison

Cobb County Water rates

I used Cobb EMC for electric and SCANA for gas, and make my own water when I need to (jk!)
As stated by an earlier poster, your links are good.

I used Cobb EMC for electric because I had no other choice. In places that I have lived here, it's cut and dry and now I have Georgia Power. Georgia Power seems to cost a good bit less.

I have used SCANA and Infinite Energy for gas. I lookdd at the links and it appears Infinite Energy cost less, but that was not my experience. In my entire life, I had never called someone to check the functionality of my meter, but I did when I had Infinite. The price was outrageous considering I was working around 14 hours a day and ate out. All I basically did that required gas was bathe andI shower. I'd go with SCANA because the prices seemed fair, but I have not tried out all the others so they could be better.

One final note, I prefer all electric now based on my experience with the gas here. I see no reason to pay twice the price for getting the same amount of service. I would like a gas stove, but I have gotten over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: