Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 04:44 PM

7,357 posts, read 6,526,600 times

Advertisements

Well without an open plan, a cube or a pod, what are you going to do? Give everyone their own individual office?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 05:48 PM
bu2

24,093 posts, read 14,879,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
This makes a lot of sense when you think about it. Who wants to get on an elevator and go up and down when you can connect with somebody right there on the same floor?
I thought millenials only communicated via cell phones? Why do you need to be on the same floor?

Old 06-27-2015, 05:49 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,608,363 times
Most people hate the hell out of open office space. I have a private office and telecommute so I am not exposed to the open office. Also when cubicles are used like corner offices used to be, it's pretty sad.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:38 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,260,759 times
If you think open office space is only for the cheap, check out Industrious. They're open in Midtown and coming to Ponce City Market in the fall. Industrious - Social Office Space for Growing Companies

They're charging $350 per person to work in the open office space in Midtown. There are cheaper places in town that offer private offices for close to that. Yet it's so popular they're opening a second location.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:11 PM

2,862 posts, read 3,821,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Well without an open plan, a cube or a pod, what are you going to do? Give everyone their own individual office?
I do not have the answer to that. There are people who went to school for that; they're called architects. I am mostly just happy I haven't had to worry about it since the 90's.

I can say that even in the schools that we managed to set up around this camp, someone had the sense to know not to turn the desks backwards to the door and the teacher. I am not saying nobody ever sat in a circle, but my goodness.

It's like being perputally stuck at an ATM - my back is turned while I'm withdrawing money. How much more vulnerable could one feel?

Old 06-28-2015, 03:35 PM

32,022 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
I also like privacy when taking phone calls for myself, and from the people on the phone around me. People always tend to raise the volume of their voice or adjust how they speak based on the way the person on the other end of the phone speaks. That can be out of place and a distraction to others.
That's a biggie for me, too. I hate making a phone call in a room full of people, and I don't like having to hear their phone conversations either.

My personal preference would be to start with a bunch of small private offices. They don't have to be big or fancy at all. It might be okay to share them, but what if two of you need to make a call at the same time, or one of you is busting their tail to finish a report and the other one feels like jawboning? Often you also need a place to store documents, even in this digital age.

In addition to the small private offices, I'd have a whole slew of conference rooms of various sizes, as well as one or two large collaborative areas.

Old 06-28-2015, 04:19 PM

416 posts, read 972,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
If you think open office space is only for the cheap, check out Industrious. They're open in Midtown and coming to Ponce City Market in the fall. Industrious - Social Office Space for Growing Companies

They're charging $350 per person to work in the open office space in Midtown. There are cheaper places in town that offer private offices for close to that. Yet it's so popular they're opening a second location.
That's actually less costly than I would have imagined. What services are included?

Old 06-29-2015, 05:21 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Cubicle farms do not encourage innovative thoughts.
I prefer a choice of having open space, collaborative workspace or private offices. Much like how I learned to study for exams. We had the choice in the library of having private rooms or getting a large table where several of us could collaborate on a project or exam.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:15 AM

8,485 posts, read 14,997,570 times
I'm a GenXer, also known as the generation that created this nonsensical open workspace movement. We're sorry.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:30 AM

774 posts, read 1,857,339 times
Default Oh NOOOO!!

... *GASP* ... oh NoOOOoooo... *shudder* ...

You mean... Millennials don't LIKE tall buildings ... nor those ... *horror*... ELEVATORS????

Well, we're just going to have to cut the tops off all those puppies, aren't we!

Is this tread for real??
Sorry... but this sounds like the most spoiled, self-entitled discussion I've ever seen.

((LOL)) Guess you're going to have to get used to it.
There's a lot of elevators in the world ... and as you age, those "boxes that go up" are going to become increasingly appealing to you.

Happy journeys
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: