Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-02-2015, 11:53 AM
 
Location: Georgia
4,209 posts, read 4,701,124 times
Reputation: 3606

Advertisements

The whole reason for the North Fulton cityhood movement was because of lack of participation in county decisions. Today it seems like they got what they wanted, but what about South Fulton. Many parts of South Fulton are missing amenities such as parks, good schools and reliable police and fire service. They also have less retail options and just a lack of infrastructure updates (Such as sidewalks, road paving, etc...). South Fulton schools also don't get representation (Look at the North Fulton Schools vs South Fulton, North Fulton got to put input in the designs, while South Fulton had to settle for cookie cutter templates.) So who really got it worse North or South Fulton?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-02-2015, 12:09 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
3,573 posts, read 5,281,769 times
Reputation: 2396
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
The whole reason for the North Fulton cityhood movement was because of lack of participation in county decisions. Today it seems like they got what they wanted, but what about South Fulton. Many parts of South Fulton are missing amenities such as parks, good schools and reliable police and fire service. They also have less retail options and just a lack of infrastructure updates (Such as sidewalks, road paving, etc...). South Fulton schools also don't get representation (Look at the North Fulton Schools vs South Fulton, North Fulton got to put input in the designs, while South Fulton had to settle for cookie cutter templates.) So who really got it worse North or South Fulton?
Great question. I often wonder the same about North versus South Dekalb.

I don't think there has ever been any decent reporting on the perceptions and misperceptions of differences in services provided between the north and south regions of Fulton and Dekalb.

I guess it's because our local media mostly interests itself in dogwhistle reporting for purposes of massive misdirection and profiteering.

It's too bad our Atlanta media as a collective cares very little about responsible reporting.

A little more comprehensive reporting would make for a smarter and more well-rounded citizenry, I would think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2015, 12:41 PM
 
Location: East Side of ATL
4,586 posts, read 7,665,272 times
Reputation: 2158
I never understood the reasoning for lackluster amount of police in South Fulton. With all of North Fulton being turned into cities, they should have an abundance of officers in the southern district. I assume, they probably lost a lot of officers to the new cities because it makes no sense otherwise. The South Fulton should be overrun with police.

Last edited by PKCorey; 07-02-2015 at 01:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2015, 12:42 PM
 
Location: NW Atlanta
6,495 posts, read 6,066,975 times
Reputation: 4453
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
I never understood the reasoning for lackluster of police in South Fulton. With all of North Fulton being turned into cities, they should have an abundance of officers in the southern district. I assume, they probably lost a lot of officers to the new cities because it makes no sense otherwise. The South Fulton should be overrun with police.
A lot of the former Fulton County officers joined up with the new city PDs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2015, 12:54 PM
bu2
 
23,845 posts, read 14,623,704 times
Reputation: 12636
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Great question. I often wonder the same about North versus South Dekalb.

I don't think there has ever been any decent reporting on the perceptions and misperceptions of differences in services provided between the north and south regions of Fulton and Dekalb.

I guess it's because our local media mostly interests itself in dogwhistle reporting for purposes of massive misdirection and profiteering.

It's too bad our Atlanta media as a collective cares very little about responsible reporting.

A little more comprehensive reporting would make for a smarter and more well-rounded citizenry, I would think.
The AJC did a report a couple of years back that pretty much proved the point the North Fulton people made that resources and facilities were directed to South Fulton. Tried to quickly find it, but there are a bunch of North Fulton/South Fulton articles out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2015, 12:57 PM
 
Location: Atlanta's Castleberry Hill
4,758 posts, read 5,384,139 times
Reputation: 5126
Let's not sugar coat it. South Fulton is predominantly black and north Fulton predominantly white. Is this thread really needed? It's really obvious without even having to state the same reason which cause the South/North distinction in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2015, 01:13 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
7,574 posts, read 10,686,347 times
Reputation: 6512
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
The whole reason for the North Fulton cityhood movement was because of lack of participation in county decisions. Today it seems like they got what they wanted, but what about South Fulton. Many parts of South Fulton are missing amenities such as parks, good schools and reliable police and fire service. They also have less retail options and just a lack of infrastructure updates (Such as sidewalks, road paving, etc...). South Fulton schools also don't get representation (Look at the North Fulton Schools vs South Fulton, North Fulton got to put input in the designs, while South Fulton had to settle for cookie cutter templates.) So who really got it worse North or South Fulton?
Could you expand on the schools issue real quick?

I'm not really aware of of South Fulton Schools. I just looked at the high schools, in particular, on google maps and compared them to ones in North Fulton for curiosity. They largely were the exact same design based on the era they were constructed. I seemed to find many of the high schools between north and south had the exact same layout as another on the opposing end of the county. So I'm failing to understand this.


I don't think the lack of retail is the governments fault. I'm pretty sure they would allow most things get built and appreciate the property tax digest from it. I think this is a private market thing.

One important thing to remember is South Fulton outside College Park and East Point is actually sparsely populated, but it is growing. It actually has the characteristics of an exurban county. The residential land lots are fairly big and developments are highly spread out. In contrast North Fulton is much more filled in and developed. Once we mix that with the socioeconomic differences I don't think you can expect the amount of retail options to be the same, but you are limiting your comparison to the expensive side of town that is very developed in this regard.

As for parks and sidewalks... Most of the development in South Fulton is in a city. Those should be taken up with the city. In the unincorporated parts I'm pretty sure new developments have the same requirements for sidewalks as the north use to have, but the development isn't as continuous.

Outside of the cities, the neighborhoods are very far apart in most cases. I don't think we can expect sidewalks everywhere at this point. That is how most other exurban counties are in Georgia.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying South Fulton has everything North Fulton does by any means. I'm merely trying to point out that it is a different place and there are other outside factors than just the county itself and some of the arguments I'm not seeing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2015, 02:17 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
3,573 posts, read 5,281,769 times
Reputation: 2396
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
The AJC did a report a couple of years back that pretty much proved the point the North Fulton people made that resources and facilities were directed to South Fulton. Tried to quickly find it, but there are a bunch of North Fulton/South Fulton articles out there.
Bullcrap on that one all the way. And I am a dedicated subscriber to the AJC.

The AJC has been doing nothing but playing both sides on these issues. Never has there been a pure dollars and cents year-by-year since desegregation analysis on how money was collected and spent from north to south.

Not just talk on money collected by county government, but state money, federal money, CIDs/business districts, and school districts.

Account for the wheres,whens, and hows that money has been collected and spent over the years since desegregation(and before just for comparison's sake).

And I am not talking piecemeal reporting. I am talking the whole shebang. No media here in Atlanta has ever done that.

All local media do is talk in snippets, lead people on, and engage in soundbite reporting to bring in eyeballs. Never are all the cards put on the table and information revealed to the masses.

Totally irresponsible and not conducive at all to encouraging a well-informed populace. On purpose, if you ask me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2015, 02:33 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
3,573 posts, read 5,281,769 times
Reputation: 2396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Let's not sugar coat it. South Fulton is predominantly black and north Fulton predominantly white. Is this thread really needed? It's really obvious without even having to state the same reason which cause the South/North distinction in the first place.
I disagree.

Because there are a lot of people out there who are incredibly shallow-minded & superficial thinking on race issues...and actually buy into the Barack Obama/Post-racial America/colorblind worldview. Both white and black people and other ethnic groups too bought into the hype.

Even while those folks are still affected in some ways large or small by the American legacy of race/skin color tribalism.

People are still living in denial. So threads like this are still necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2015, 03:27 PM
bu2
 
23,845 posts, read 14,623,704 times
Reputation: 12636
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Bullcrap on that one all the way. And I am a dedicated subscriber to the AJC.

The AJC has been doing nothing but playing both sides on these issues. Never has there been a pure dollars and cents year-by-year since desegregation analysis on how money was collected and spent from north to south.

Not just talk on money collected by county government, but state money, federal money, CIDs/business districts, and school districts.

Account for the wheres,whens, and hows that money has been collected and spent over the years since desegregation(and before just for comparison's sake).

And I am not talking piecemeal reporting. I am talking the whole shebang. No media here in Atlanta has ever done that.

All local media do is talk in snippets, lead people on, and engage in soundbite reporting to bring in eyeballs. Never are all the cards put on the table and information revealed to the masses.

Totally irresponsible and not conducive at all to encouraging a well-informed populace. On purpose, if you ask me.
So do you remember the article? Obviously it didn't go back 50 years. But it showed where things like community centers, county offices and libraries are located. It was on the front page and a 2 or 3 page piece. It was not a "soundbite."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top