Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2016, 07:41 AM

6,495 posts, read 6,066,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
Very impressed and satisfied with the design, but wary of the economic forces that will work to gentrify the neighbourhood rather than diversify and expand. If we get some guarantees that rents are going to be appropriate for local business owners (not another buckhead Atlanta) and at least 20% section 8 eligible affordable units, I'll go down there and help build it myself!
No way that happens with this development. I'm sure there will be an affordable housing component though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2016, 11:10 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,462,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
You know Atlanta developers...make sure you put in as much white people in renderings as you possibly can...you should have seen the Atlantic Station revamp renderings put out not too long ago....nothing but white people literally in the renderings despite the fact that at least 30% of the customers are black. It's hilarious.
You all know most developers can't wait until this municipality becomes less black...which may never happen because many black people with money and power are aware of this asinine hope and will thwart this at all turns. Developers need to realize this while drafting this delusional details in the draft elevations and renderings of projects.

Old 07-08-2016, 11:27 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,655,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
You all know most developers can't wait until this municipality becomes less black...which may never happen because many black people with money and power are aware of this asinine hope and will thwart this at all turns. Developers need to realize this while drafting this delusional details in the draft elevations and renderings of projects.
I understand the political aspects of those who might wish to shift Atalanta's power-base from the (usually Democratic) black leadership that's been around for a while now, but colour me skeptical at the idea of the developer actively being in on that.

Just saying, it's more likely that it wasn't even a conscious thing. Think about it, you have a company that's mostly out there developing in the suburbs. Who mostly lives, or has mostly lived in the suburbs? White people. Is it any surprise then that that they'd carry over that into their first major urban project within a predominately black city?

Old 07-08-2016, 11:56 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,462,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
I understand the political aspects of those who might wish to shift Atalanta's power-base from the (usually Democratic) black leadership that's been around for a while now, but colour me skeptical at the idea of the developer actively being in on that.

Just saying, it's more likely that it wasn't even a conscious thing. Think about it, you have a company that's mostly out there developing in the suburbs. Who mostly lives, or has mostly lived in the suburbs? White people. Is it any surprise then that that they'd carry over that into their first major urban project within a predominately black city?
Maybe not this particular developer but there are those in the development community whom do work with the city regularly that do... I've heard it be repeated more than once.

Old 07-08-2016, 04:43 PM

6,610 posts, read 8,969,895 times
It's all a conspiracy. Isn't everything? I feel sure that's what the sniper in Dallas was thinking...anyone with a certain color of skin is evil and the rest of us should unite against them.

Old 07-08-2016, 06:34 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,244,859 times
^ Let's please not go there.

I don't think we need to worry about the developer trying to command Buckhead Atlanta-level rents, particularly from the retail renants. This should certainly increase the value of property downtown, but downtown is still very different from Buckhead, or even O4W or Inman Park.

Quote:
Potential tenants in the expanded Underground development could include national retailers and local merchants, such as those found in the Little Five Points neighborhood
This definitely sounds like the mix will be eclectic, and not exclusively high-end. Certainly not if L5P is the model.

Old 07-08-2016, 07:25 PM

6,610 posts, read 8,969,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetar View Post
^ Let's please not go there.

I don't think we need to worry about the developer trying to command Buckhead Atlanta-level rents, particularly from the retail renants. This should certainly increase the value of property downtown, but downtown is still very different from Buckhead, or even O4W or Inman Park.

This definitely sounds like the mix will be eclectic, and not exclusively high-end. Certainly not if L5P is the model.

It was already there.

Old 07-10-2016, 01:59 PM
bu2

23,841 posts, read 14,619,513 times
https://www.bing.com/news/search?q=p...22&form=PTFTNR

SIAP, Rather interesting. AJC also had an article Friday in the print edition saying there were 15 buildings under contract and that they were looking at using abandoned and forgotten floors to dramatically expand underground.

Old 07-10-2016, 02:07 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,721,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
https://www.bing.com/news/search?q=p...22&form=PTFTNR

SIAP, Rather interesting. AJC also had an article Friday in the print edition saying there were 15 buildings under contract and that they were looking at using abandoned and forgotten floors to dramatically expand underground.
Yeah they basically gotta get rid of all those hair weave, lemon pepper wing, fake jewelry, check cashing stores out of the area and rebrand the entire area

Old 07-10-2016, 02:15 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,699,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
Yeah they basically gotta get rid of all those hair weave, lemon pepper wing, fake jewelry, check cashing stores out of the area and rebrand the entire area
I hope they keep the lemon pepper wings, I couldn't care less about the other stuff. (add cheap cologne and music stores to the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta