Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 10:05 AM

749 posts, read 887,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLondoner View Post
MARTA just need to simplify their existing bus routes, take the 99 for example....why does it need to alternate between serving Midtown and North Avenue stations? Do 1 thing and do it well.

Why do some 110 Buses stop at Arts Center but then others continue to 5 Points....consistency and reliability are key.
This.

Also, add bus lanes where possible and increase frequency (bus lanes will naturally help). Upgrade the stops, complete with seating and a GPS timer for the next bus.

Something like the below would go a long way in reducing confusion and will provide people with real time arrivals. Trying to figure things out on the maps/schedules they post at some of the bus stops can be a challenge even for experienced riders.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 10:38 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankster87 View Post
This.

Also, add bus lanes where possible and increase frequency (bus lanes will naturally help). Upgrade the stops, complete with seating and a GPS timer for the next bus.

Something like the below would go a long way in reducing confusion and will provide people with real time arrivals. Trying to figure things out on the maps/schedules they post at some of the bus stops can be a challenge even for experienced riders.
Do not forget that MARTA offers an app that gives users live arrival times.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:11 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,694,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankster87 View Post
This.

I would LOVE to see MARTA come up with a BRT/Bus Lane/Expressway service plan. Take Memorial Drive for example. This is a corridor that had been slated for BRT, and then got cheated a proper build out. We're seeing a growth of development in that route now. We're seeing a CID being planned. It's the perfect opportunity to jump ahead of the traffic and use early CID funds to help pay for reworking the road as they already want to do. It'll be a lot easier to do before traffic circles get put in.

Similar corridors should be identified and pushed to be developed where they can. BRT/Bus Lanes would do wonders to fill in gaps beyond the reach of the Streetcars/LRT/MARTA Rail/GRTA Buses.

I personally really like the shelters that are being installed; they are DEFINITELY a step up from the older ones. A little LED next bus sign would be a great addition. MARTA does, has had, issues with their signs though, so, if that could all be fixed in one sweeping upgrade, that'd be great.

Also, for non shelters, simple, interchangeable signs saying which route(s) use that stop would be a great improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
And it helps A LOT. Nothing against it. All it tells me, however, is that that could be extended beyond the app. For those whose phone is dead. For those who can't afford a phone that can run the app. For those who don't own cell phones. Etc.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:20 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
I would skip the LED signs, and just put up the a QC code that location to bring the next bus(s) and the time, as the App does.

The Cost of putting in LED sighs, maintaining them, (Power,Data transmission, Fix/Replacements ) would be better to spend the millions else where.

Most of the time the LED sign on the train platform seem to be "Scheduled" times by can be off by 5+ minutes or so, Not sure what datafeed is but it seem to be wrong whenever there is a problem anywhere on the line.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
I would LOVE to see MARTA come up with a BRT/Bus Lane/Expressway service plan. Take Memorial Drive for example. This is a corridor that had been slated for BRT, and then got cheated a proper build out. We're seeing a growth of development in that route now. We're seeing a CID being planned. It's the perfect opportunity to jump ahead of the traffic and use early CID funds to help pay for reworking the road as they already want to do. It'll be a lot easier to do before traffic circles get put in.

Similar corridors should be identified and pushed to be developed where they can. BRT/Bus Lanes would do wonders to fill in gaps beyond the reach of the Streetcars/LRT/MARTA Rail/GRTA Buses.

I personally really like the shelters that are being installed; they are DEFINITELY a step up from the older ones. A little LED next bus sign would be a great addition. MARTA does, has had, issues with their signs though, so, if that could all be fixed in one sweeping upgrade, that'd be great.

Also, for non shelters, simple, interchangeable signs saying which route(s) use that stop would be a great improvement.

And it helps A LOT. Nothing against it. All it tells me, however, is that that could be extended beyond the app. For those whose phone is dead. For those who can't afford a phone that can run the app. For those who don't own cell phones. Etc.
I will tell you that people will buy a smartphone before they buy internet at home. Almost everyone, except old people, have a smartphone with data.

Old 07-09-2015, 02:16 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,527,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Why don't you actually try using the app JUST ONCE!? IT IS USELESS! The best it can give is a very rough idea when a bus might be at its next timepoint, but those are so few and widely scattered, that it's pretty much useless too! If MARTA had chosen Transloc or something that actually worked instead of their own garbage, then the app would be worth something, but they didn't! Just compare the live bus status for Emory's shuttle service to MARTA, now that you can actually rely on!

Old 07-09-2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Why don't you actually try using the app JUST ONCE!? IT IS USELESS! The best it can give is a very rough idea when a bus might be at its next timepoint, but those are so few and widely scattered, that it's pretty much useless too! If MARTA had chosen Transloc or something that actually worked instead of their own garbage, then the app would be worth something, but they didn't! Just compare the live bus status for Emory's shuttle service to MARTA, now that you can actually rely on!
I do use it and I have no issue with it, now granted my geography skills are better than most Americans so I can gauge how long it'll take me to walk to the stop and where the GPS location of the bus is.

Old 07-09-2015, 02:46 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
I would skip the LED signs, and just put up the a QC code that location to bring the next bus(s) and the time, as the App does.

The Cost of putting in LED sighs, maintaining them, (Power,Data transmission, Fix/Replacements ) would be better to spend the millions else where.

Most of the time the LED sign on the train platform seem to be "Scheduled" times by can be off by 5+ minutes or so, Not sure what datafeed is but it seem to be wrong whenever there is a problem anywhere on the line.
I think the LED signs are a great idea, but they are primarily placed in high-demand areas with multiple routes in other cities.

It would be good for more highly visible locations Downtown, Midtown, Buckhead and some of the busier MARTA stations. In theory MARTA stations are already equipped with some type of data transmission for the rail signs, perhaps they can piggy-back off of that network.

It is also easier for out-of-towners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: