Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 09:43 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,962,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post

They really need to downsize and slow down traffic in that area. Too many lanes and cars going too fast.
Aaaabsolutely not! It's only 2 lanes in each direction on both streets, if that. Reduce the amount of intersections and improve the interchange, yes, but until there is some sort of transit service other than a bus, I'm opposed to downsizing. Slowing down traffic is pointless since it's backed up half the time on Moreland anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 09:54 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,857,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
Aaaabsolutely not! It's only 2 lanes in each direction on both streets, if that. Reduce the amount of intersections and improve the interchange, yes, but until there is some sort of transit service other than a bus, I'm opposed to downsizing. Slowing down traffic is pointless since it's backed up half the time on Moreland anyway.
I tend to agree that Moreland Ave needs to stay an Arterial Road, but improvements do need to be made to make it a Complete Street. Widening is out of the question as there is no more ROW, but sidewalk improvements and cross-bike infrastructure improved.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:15 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,308,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
I agree.

Just a good drive on Moreland during afternoon rush hour and Saturday afternoon is a beast. Especially around the Edgewood Shopping area. And then they got some sort of new developments coming up across the street from the Edgewood stores.

Wtf, it's like the county just allows stuff to be thrown up anywhere without a clue or care for traffic concerns.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
I agree.

Just a good drive on Moreland during afternoon rush hour and Saturday afternoon is a beast. Especially around the Edgewood Shopping area. And then they got some sort of new developments coming up across the street from the Edgewood stores.

Wtf, it's like the county just allows stuff to be thrown up anywhere without a clue or care for traffic concerns.
Moreland is a state maintained road and counties do not have as much pull with developments within the CoA limits.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:00 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,768,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I always envisioned that interchange being converted to a DDI.
As ugly as it is in that area, it is probably better it be left as a half cloverleaf.

The half Cloverleaf limits the red light frequency for cars on Moreland, especially those moving southbound.

This allows fewer cars to back up towards the Memorial Drive intersection. Right now they only have to stop for one traffic movement, which is I-20 westbound to moreland South. If it is a DDI that red light frequency will be close to 50% of the time and more traffic will back up into the memorial drive intersection.

What would help is if the traffic lights are converted into an ITS corridor. So not only do they work together, there will be devices monitoring the traffic flow real time adjusting how/when they change.

I also think a pretty good argument could be made for re-aligning arkwright place's intersection with Moreland north an extra 30-40 feet. It is highly doable and would leave the area looking nicer. It would leave room for a more efficient left turn lane onto Memorial East.

They might also want to experiment with computer models that add a right turn only lane going onto I-20 west from Moreland Southbound that extends towards Memorial Drive. At the same time they can shorten the 3rd lane on the overpass bridge that eventually becomes the left turn to McPherson, at least until it reaches the onramp. Most of the ROW/Asphalt needed is already there. They just have to restructure it.

Also, there is technically enough RoW to be purchased for one extra lane on Memorial. There are a few pinch points, mostly from newer developments where the change wouldn't be popular. The problem is the buildings used about 10-12 foot of the set back for extra wide sidewalks and landscaping. The issue is if they wanted to preserve that for their residents, they needed to have had added their own 10 foot set back.

The sad thing is the 3 lane is a relatively short stretch. It would be prudent of the city to make any changes sooner, before more development moves in.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:04 PM

Quote:
They might also want to experiment with computer models that add a right turn only lane going onto I-20 west from Moreland Southbound that extends towards Memorial Drive. At the same time they can shorten the 3rd lane on the overpass bridge that eventually becomes the left turn to McPherson, at least until it reaches the onramp. Most of the ROW/Asphalt needed is already there. They just have to restructure it.
Limit turns onto McPherson. Make it a Right-turn-in-right-turn-out only. There is also too many curb cuts and too many cars trying to cross the travel lanes. Add a median and force drivers to make U turns.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:25 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,692,353 times
Quote:
I like the idea, I would think if the CID built it MARTA would serve it. They could enter into a contract.
I could see a CID/MARTA joint funded project with possible Federal Matching. CID could build it with MARTA oversight, or MARTA could take on construction with CID oversight.

Memorial is pretty inconsistent in its lane count, but it seems like there's room to cut back into sidewalks and property fronts where needed. The route could use curbs or pylons to keep people out of the lanes. Signal Priority is a must. MARTA doesn't even need articulated buses, the normal ones would probably work fine with upgrades.

Stations could be little more than pads with a couple of shelters set up next to each other and cross walks like on Buford, but smaller.

There will be a loss of lanes, mostly the center turn lane, but a route between Garnett and Kensington would be really nice.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:57 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,768,125 times
Quote:
Limit turns onto McPherson. Make it a Right-turn-in-right-turn-out only. There is also too many curb cuts and too many cars trying to cross the travel lanes. Add a median and force drivers to make U turns.
I completely agree about the curb cuts. Most of that will be fixed as new buildings are built. Once a property is rebuilt the grand-fathered status goes away.

That is a large problem for Atlanta city-wide. I remember when the owner of the Varsity jr. made a huge anti-Atlanta fuss over curb cuts along Lindbergh Dr.

While we are at it... They could realign the Glenwood Ave intersection.

One issue with a right in-right out at McPherson is it would also prevent traffic from crossing Moreland from Faith. Right down that street is Glenwood Park and a significant amount of apartments. If that crossing goes away it will put a few more cars onto Glenwood. You know the area better... any thoughts?

Old 07-09-2015, 02:23 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,308,228 times
Quote:
Moreland is a state maintained road and counties do not have as much pull with developments within the CoA limits.
You could've fixed it for me, bro.

Quote:
Wtf, it's like the CoA just allows stuff to be thrown up anywhere without a clue or care for traffic concerns.

See? The gist of the message stays the same. Just a simple matter of correction.

Old 07-09-2015, 02:24 PM

Quote:
You could've fixed it for me, bro.

See? The gist of the message stays the same. Just a simple matter of correction.
I am not into be an A-hole and fixing people's posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta