Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 08:23 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times

Advertisements

I'm willing to bet the the OP would not want to live in the apartment/house her sister lives in, and her sister could never afford the mortgage and running costs of a home in the DC area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 08:32 AM

2,862 posts, read 3,821,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
I'd go ahead with the move. Whether you want to help your sister is a separate matter/concern which you should not conflate with your desire to live in a new place.

Yes, the job market in Atlanta is definitely tougher than in D.C.
I agree with this post.

I only have one sibling who has lived with me twice in recent years after bailing out of failed relationships. He is a selfish SOB, but at least I knew it because we grew up in the same house. Before the first divorce (when both lived in the ATL metro area), he was having financial problems and wanted to move the wife and two step children in with me. I had to put my foot down and say no. I was helped them get a new place, but they could not live with me. Nothing good could come of that. Even thinking about it now stresses me out.

She's your sibling, not your spouse. She has a husband. I certainly believe in helping others, but you have to be in your own drivers seat. If they hate it here, then they should find some other city in which to live. That does not mean you have to be shackled to them and have your wings clipped. You can still help them, but do it in a different way that does not involve you being stuck in a place you do not want to be.

Y'all need to work on Plan B.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:38 AM

989 posts, read 1,742,818 times
It seems like you would enjoy Atlanta, and your employment status allows you to basically try out any city. If you are renting, simply move when you lease expires and try out Atlanta. If it doesn't work out, move back to DC or another city. I would not use your sister's experience in evaluating the choice, if you are under of unemployed life sucks anywhere.

I have tons of experience with DC, my family lives there. I love the city, love K Street, the walkability and density. Every time I visit, I think about moving there. However whenever I see a great apartment, the studios are starting at 2k, I realize I could afford fly to DC every other weekend annually and still save money for a comparable 2/2 in Atlanta.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:47 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,784,744 times
When did you live in Midtown?

Old 07-09-2015, 09:28 AM

3 posts, read 3,090 times
Thanks all for the advice.

I discussed this with a friend who actually showed little concern for my sister's situation. I was a litte taken a back, because I have always tried to go above and beyond for my family, but I guess everyone is different and some people only care about their own needs and wants. I really try to balance out my desires w/ those of my family.

This is however a rather sticky situation because my sister was basing her upcoming move to the DC metro area on being able to move in w/ me. If I decide to relocate, my sister cannot stay at my place, because it is just too expensive for someone who doesn't make my income.

As it stands, my sister is upset because she doesn't have a plan B. She knows however that she wants to relocate from Atlanta (but doesn't have the resources at this time to independently make the move and secure housing).

I will not be able to respond (as I am at the airport typing from my ipad), but again thanks for all of your feedback.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:54 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,784,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_2016 View Post
Thanks all for the advice.

I discussed this with a friend who actually showed little concern for my sister's situation. I was a litte taken a back, because I have always tried to go above and beyond for my family, but I guess everyone is different and some people only care about their own needs and wants. I really try to balance out my desires w/ those of my family.

This is however a rather sticky situation because my sister was basing her upcoming move to the DC metro area on being able to move in w/ me. If I decide to relocate, my sister cannot stay at my place, because it is just too expensive for someone who doesn't make my income.

As it stands, my sister is upset because she doesn't have a plan B. She knows however that she wants to relocate from Atlanta (but doesn't have the resources at this time to independently make the move and secure housing).

I will not be able to respond (as I am at the airport typing from my ipad), but again thanks for all of your feedback.

Just tell her it's too expensive for you in DC and you have to move because of a pay cut. Or tell her your health hasn't been good because you are stressed with your office in DC so you have to move. (Just make up a good story)

She is grown and she has a plan b. It is to find any job she can get, save up her money so she can move herself. BTW she needs to be moving somewhere with a cheaper COL if she is already broke unless she has a specific job that is only available in DC. Tell her to try Charlotte, Dallas or Houston because it's isn't expensive and they have jobs. Heck tell her to join the military.

Remember to make yourself happy. If she is a REAL sister she would want you to be happy.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:55 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,874,081 times
Where does your sister live in Atlanta metro?

The great thing about Atlanta is there are a lot of lifestyle options. If you are not happy with where you live, just move 30 miles away to another part of the metro and you will have can have an entirely different lifestyle.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:26 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,777,875 times
Correct on the customer service front, though it's gotten better.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:29 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,377,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_2016 View Post
She constantly mentions the crime rate, and the general lack of customer service in the South.
I don't understand this statement. General lack of customer service in the South?? That's just plain silly. Such broad condemnations as that should be disregarded as inherent bias that is not based on fact. (And if she thinks she will get better customer service and better crime rates in DC she is sadly mistaken.)

Tell your sister that nothing remains the same forever. The Atlanta job market is increasing rapidly. Just because she is struggling NOW doesn't mean she will ALWAYS struggle. High paying jobs are returning. If they had good employment before, they will again. However, if she STILL wants out, you can tell her that you will allow them to live with YOU down there in Atlanta so they can save money to move. They will need lots of it if they are moving to DC. They are in for a shock when they see the costs of homes and rent. There is a possibility they will high tail it back to Atlanta before long.

Old 07-09-2015, 02:03 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,485,338 times
DC and Atlanta are so much a like with the exceptions of density and cost-of-living that you would be fine. If your sister wants live elsewhere then let her, but she along with her husband needs to be more strategic about their job searches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta