Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 12:07 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,377,719 times
I hope they don't take this too far though... Atl isn't Vegas and shouldn't try to be. This reeks of another big-city boondoggle to try and get attention by desperate measures rather than promoting the city and seeing it for what it is. I've never been much of a fan of gimmicks.

But I suppose it will be OK. Centennial Olympic Park shouldn't become an amusement park though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 12:15 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaIsHot View Post
I hope they don't take this too far though... Atl isn't Vegas and shouldn't try to be. This reeks of another big-city boondoggle to try and get attention by desperate measures rather than promoting the city and seeing it for what it is. I've never been much of a fan of gimmicks.

But I suppose it will be OK. Centennial Olympic Park shouldn't become an amusement park though...
The city is not funding any part of this or the ferris wheel before. The just renewed the contractor with the operator.
Atlanta is the #4 for summer vacations in 2015.
Quote:
The tourists are coming and they want our trains

The Travel Pulse website has some interesting info on transit usage from a new survey. About 89 million Americans are planning to use public transit at their domestic-travel destinations this year – a whopping 24 percent increase over the numbers for 2014. Here’s a quote:

According to the American Public Transportation Association’s annual “Travel Like a Local” Summer Travel Survey, more than half (57 percent) of the more than 156 million Americans expected to visit a U.S. city this summer plan to utilize public transportation at one time or another.

But the most interesting part is the destinations those travelers have chosen. The survey reports that the most popular U.S. cities for summer vacation this year are:

1. New York
2. Chicago
3. Los Angeles
4. Atlanta
5. Las Vegas

We beat Las Vegas? Look at us! The tourists are coming, Atlanta, and they want to ride MARTA. With our public transit system being such an important part of our economy, influencing job relocations and vacation decisions (with all of the local spending that brings), how is it that we still lack state support for MARTA operations? Follow the money, state leaders. It’s time to support the transit system that supports your economy.

- See more at: ATL Urbanist
ATL Urbanist

Old 07-10-2015, 12:18 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,055,812 times
Bring it.

An amusement park is much better than what it is now. At least people stay at amusement parks after dark.

Old 07-10-2015, 12:24 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,784,744 times
Quote:

What? Just because a new ride is coming downtown now that means Atlanta is trying to be Vegas? So I guess if Waffle House opens up a location in Minot, ND that Minot is trying to become Atlanta?

Old 07-10-2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The city is not funding any part of this or the ferris wheel before. The just renewed the contractor with the operator.
Atlanta is the #4 for summer vacations in 2015.

ATL Urbanist

Doesn't matter to me. The city should still control what development takes place and what doesn't, that's the whole point of "city planning."

I'm glad Atlanta gets tourists but I still don't think it should turn into a gimmicky joke either. There's amusement parks in the area already plus a zoo and an aquarium very close... Art, culture, food, people living and working, small businesses, children playing, and adults going about daily life are the lifeblood of a city, not tourist-traps IMHO... But I will withhold judgment until I've at least seen pictures.

Old 07-10-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Bring it.

An amusement park is much better than what it is now. At least people stay at amusement parks after dark.
You actually WANT the Olympic Park to become an amusement park??? Really?

People stay at amusement parks because they are relatively safe. People stay at parks for the same reasons. If Atl wants people to remain at night, they need to be safe. The residents need to use it large numbers, just like they did at Central Park in NYC. It used to be mostly a hangout for muggers and rapists until the people got tired of it.

Old 07-10-2015, 12:36 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:
Doesn't matter to me. The city should still control what development takes place and what doesn't, that's the whole point of "city planning."

I'm glad Atlanta gets tourists but I still don't think it should turn into a gimmicky joke either. There's amusement parks in the area already plus a zoo and an aquarium very close... Art, culture, food, people living and working, small businesses, children playing, and adults going about daily life are the lifeblood of a city, not tourist-traps IMHO... But I will withhold judgment until I've at least seen pictures.
SkyView is quality entertainment and not a tourist trap. If the owners want to bring another ride that will occupy a surface parking lot, generate more tax money than that lot, and meets all the necessary zoning I see no issue in the project.

Old 07-10-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
What? Just because a new ride is coming downtown now that means Atlanta is trying to be Vegas? So I guess if Waffle House opens up a location in Minot, ND that Minot is trying to become Atlanta?
That's not my meaning. I said TAKEN TOO FAR and it's a little too much "Vegas" not literally Atl trying to turn into Vegas.

Old 07-10-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
SkyView is quality entertainment and not a tourist trap. If the owners want to bring another ride that will occupy a surface parking lot, generate more tax money than that lot, and meets all the necessary zoning I see no issue in the project.
I NEVER said anything about the ferris wheel being a tourist trap. Don't put words in my mouth I don't say. I said these things can be taken too far and I stand by it. TOO FAR being the key words. Nuance is a virtue.

And I said I would withhold judgment until I've seen the finished product if and when it comes to be.

Old 07-10-2015, 12:43 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,784,744 times
Quote:
I NEVER said anything about the ferris wheel being a tourist trap. Don't put words in my mouth I don't say. I said these things can be taken too far and I stand by it. TOO FAR being the key words. Nuance is a virtue.

And I said I would withhold judgment until I've seen the finished product if and when it comes to be.
US Thrill Rides - Polercoaster™
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta