Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 04:07 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,909,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
I'm straight and black and I don't want to be around negroes sagging their pants and I'm damn sure whites are the same way. It's not about racism because half the clubs in Atlanta have that exact same dress code that cater to professionals . Go to an upscale club tonight that caters to professionals here in Atlanta and see if they let you in with a basketball jersey and sagging pants.

Again professional blacks HATE seeing other blacks sagging their pants. We hate it and don't want to be around them so you know damn well whites are the same
You said the perfect word ( I'm straight ) gay clubs are always held to a different standard because you have drag queens walking around and God knows what there is no dress code at the jungle heritic or Burkharts. Black gay men have been patronizing blakes for the past three years especially on Sunday nights and it's never been an issue with hoodies are even men who slightly sag there pants. Now all of a sudden we need a dress code most gay clubs or bars don't have codes because of the culture of the gay community. This establishment surely isn't a place where a dress code is needed

I guarantee you they are trying to keep blakes from turning into another bulldogs. Bulldogs used to be a white gay bar but is now patronized by all Blacks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 04:12 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Sorry but your experiences are not their's. Don't be so quick to assume what you know simply based on association, especially if you haven't have an explicit conversation about such matters. Even so, there's also a generation gap in play here also. The styles that older Black men sport aren't at all the same as what younger Black men do and that can make a difference.

What does this have to do with anything? Hell, Dylan Roof had a Black friend but that means nothing. Now before you get in a tizzy, I'm not comparing the folks who run this bar to a crazed terrorist intent on starting a race war, but people are complex social beings. You can easily be prejudiced against a group of people yet still capable of showing concern and sympathy to a particular individual.
Considering that there is on the table a not so veiled accusation that the white gay community is making a deliberate attempt to exclude the black gay community from a local establishment, I'd say that those remarks were completely relevant. And you can spare me the remark about not having ' the black experience' disqualifying me from having an opinion. I may be white, but I'm married to a non-white, so I guess I know a little bit about what's what.
Here's a novel idea: How about going out and living life instead of overturning rocks in an attempt to find petty and highly arguable examples of racism? The whole thing has become a colossal bore.

Old 07-10-2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Prove it. I've never seen evidence of racism in that or any other gay bar in Atlanta. You want to patronize Blake's? Abide by the dress code. All $ are green.
Sweetheart I stopped going to Blakes before I move from Atlanta because there was always under line racism even in the way they treated us at the bar me and my friend started to taking notice of this and so did others.

Let me tell you dress code are no dress code I wouldn't dare step foot back in Blakes...

Old 07-10-2015, 04:24 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,783,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
You said the perfect word ( I'm straight ) gay clubs are always held to a different standard because you have drag queens walking around and God knows what there is no dress code at the jungle heritic or Burkharts. Black gay men have been patronizing blakes for the past three years especially on Sunday nights and it's never been an issue with hoodies are even men who slightly sag there pants. Now all of a sudden we need a dress code most gay clubs or bars don't have codes because of the culture of the gay community. This establishment surely isn't a place where a dress code is needed

I guarantee you they are trying to keep blakes from turning into another bulldogs. Bulldogs used to be a white gay bar but is now patronized by all Blacks
When running a business you have to keep your target demographic happy.

Old 07-10-2015, 04:24 PM

After all these years why a dress code now .. Blakes is not that type of place.

Same happen with swinging Richards they started doing a cover charge on Tuesday night after the black people started coming. It went from being free all night to free before 12 then all of a sudden $10 cover charge.

Old 07-10-2015, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
When running a business you have to keep your target demographic happy.
So you try and find ways to exclude others to keep your target audience happy . Child bye they could have done what opera did. They have a gay night every third Saturday .. They could have done something to cater to black urban crowd. If that's not there target audience

Old 07-10-2015, 04:33 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
Sweetheart I stopped going to Blakes before I move from Atlanta because there was always under line racism even in the way they treated us at the bar me and my friend started to taking notice of this and so did others.

Let me tell you dress code are no dress code I wouldn't dare step foot back in Blakes...
Good for you. And I am not your sweetheart. I consider that remark sexist. Just sayin'.

Old 07-10-2015, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadtrip75 View Post
First of all, the idea that people of any particular type should be barred from congregating together is deeply offensive. It is a very fundamental violation of human rights. It is not your human right to be my friend. It is my human right to refuse friendship.

Second, there are pragmatic reasons for this bar to exclude blacks, or at least impose a few conditions to exclude the ones who refuse to follow rules. Think of it as a filter. In case you haven't noticed, there is an epidemic tearing through the gay community and the last thing they need is to be flooded with irresponsible people.

African Americans | Race/Ethnicity | HIV by Group | HIV/AIDS | CDC
I really can't believe you tried that lol I suggest you have several seats with this pathetic post... Sweet heart there are a bunch of white men that are HIV positive in Atlanta Plus if the Feds new how much meth and cocaine was running threw these white gay bars they all would be closed..

Trust and believe HIV that don't stop them from fetishing over the Big black you know what

Last edited by Staysean23; 07-10-2015 at 05:47 PM..

Old 07-10-2015, 04:38 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Considering that there is on the table a not so veiled accusation that the white gay community is making a deliberate attempt to exclude the black gay community from a local establishment, I'd say that those remarks were completely relevant.
No, they were completely irrelevant. Even outright bigots can express compassion; human beings are very complex emotional, social, and cultural creatures. Also this is about one particular establishment, not an entire community.

Quote:
And you can spare me the remark about not having ' the black experience' disqualifying me from having an opinion. I may be white, but I'm married to a non-white, so I guess I know a little bit about what's what.
You're free to have an opinion, but it's not one that's rooted in a lived experience. Sorry, but that makes a difference; for instance, I'd never dismiss your feelings as a woman simply because I know a bunch of women. Come on now.

Oh, and a non-White isn't the same as Black. All racial/ethnic minorities aren't subject to the exact same type of experiences.

Quote:
Here's a novel idea: How about going out and living life instead of overturning rocks in an attempt to find petty and highly arguable examples of racism? The whole thing has become a colossal bore.
Oh come on; this is a publicized story that everyone is commenting on. A patron of the establishment who was "going out and living life" saw this sign, uploaded it to social media, and now here we are.

Your attempts at dismissal simply because you can't identify with what's happening here is a terrible thing. If you're bored, nobody's forcing you to continue commenting.

Old 07-10-2015, 04:47 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,767,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Oh come on; this is a publicized story that everyone is commenting on. A patron of the establishment who was "going out and living life" saw this sign, uploaded it to social media, and now here we are.
That photo looks bogus to me.

The writing goes off the paper it is supposedly written on. (See the "No sagging pants" for example).

Also, the writing isn't curved the way the paper is.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta