Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2016, 09:25 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,679,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Here is a direct link to the letter to Eaves on what they can get for 0.25% and 0.50% options: https://cmgajccommuting.files.wordpr...12-15-2015.pdf
As primaltech eluded to, this seems to be a detailed explanation of everything that would be in Fulton County. I would also love to see as detailed a plan for DeKalb, since I'd imagine they'd be getting some ART routes as well...

It'll be interesting to see what CoA chooses as their high-capacity transit. The obvious choice would be Streetcar and BeltLine light rail, but with the way the city has been handling the system, that might not be too popular. That's unless the city sells it hard, and sells it well, emphasizing that they've handed operations over to a contractor. If CoA said it was working to transfer control to MARTA, that might do it...

Otherwise, it might take the form of more bus routes with higher-frequencies within the core city. Heck it could take the form of the I-20 BRT if that's an option. It could be the HRT extension to I-285. We'll have to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 01:12 PM

2,580 posts, read 2,475,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
Thanks for the share, interesting perspective. Also one of the comment pretty much sums it up:

Aaron,
I've lived in Portland for 5 years now. I grew up in the Chicago area, and have lived in several other places with much larger African-American populations than Portland. Your article touches on an interesting and important subject, and I don't have time to do it justice right now, but want to take issue with one of your arguments.
If I understand you correctly, you are suggesting that the main reason that Portland-style transportation policies don't transfer to rust-belt cities is because they don't address the needs of minority populations in those places. That may or may not be true, but I think the larger issue is that many whites in cities with high minority populations are unwilling to fund public transportation and other public goods, because they see it as taking money away from "us" and giving it to "them" (poor minorities. In most of those areas, middle-class whites have long since fled to the suburbs, and don't see public transportation as benefiting them. I have a hard time believing that minority populations in most Midwestern cities wouldn't benefit from and want better public transportation - in fact, a significant challenge is that in many cities, jobs have fled to the suburbs along with middle-class whites and minority residents can't access them because they have no way to get to them.
That said, it stands to reason that what works in Portland might not work in Cincinnati and that Portland's policies can't just be transferred wholesale to another city.
This sums up what is applicable as to why Portland, Seattle, Denver, Salt Lake City have regional transit whereas other more racially diverse cities with much higher black American population percentages like Atlanta does not have regional transit. There are numerous peer-reviewed case studies on JSTOR that verify that to be a fact.

Old 01-14-2016, 01:19 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,796,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
LOL @ the Medlock Bridge/141 bus route in this MARTA plan. It heads straight down 141, directly towards Doraville station, but it can't go there because Gwinnett County. So it has to completely the opposite direction for like 10 miles over to Old Milton.

Johns Creek really gets screwed because of Gwinnett not joining MARTA. They can't do anything with the 141 corridor.

Also it's a damn shame that a Holcomb Bridge bus can't continue all the way down Jimmy Carter. Just makes no sense whatsoever, how some of the 5 core metro counties are not a part of the transit system. Asinine.
Unless an agreement was made between MARTA and Gwinnett County. MARTA serves stops along 41 in Cobb County.

Old 01-14-2016, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
As primaltech eluded to, this seems to be a detailed explanation of everything that would be in Fulton County. I would also love to see as detailed a plan for DeKalb, since I'd imagine they'd be getting some ART routes as well...

It'll be interesting to see what CoA chooses as their high-capacity transit. The obvious choice would be Streetcar and BeltLine light rail, but with the way the city has been handling the system, that might not be too popular. That's unless the city sells it hard, and sells it well, emphasizing that they've handed operations over to a contractor. If CoA said it was working to transfer control to MARTA, that might do it...

Otherwise, it might take the form of more bus routes with higher-frequencies within the core city. Heck it could take the form of the I-20 BRT if that's an option. It could be the HRT extension to I-285. We'll have to see.
Streetcars on the BeltLine!

Old 01-14-2016, 02:02 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,222,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Unless an agreement was made between MARTA and Gwinnett County. MARTA serves stops along 41 in Cobb County.
What they should do is have the SR 140 and SR 141 bus routes drive through Gwinnett to Doraville station, without stopping. I would think that should be allowed.

That would not only be better for those routes, but it would get the Peachtree Corners residents talking about MARTA and wanting the bus routes to stop in their communities.

It would just overall highlight the ridiculousness of not having one unified transit system.

Old 01-14-2016, 02:35 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,222,235 times
Just found this article about the 'quality bus'. I agree with all this, and it's the same key points we've been making.
Urban kchoze: The quality bus

1. Fewer stops (every 1/4 mile or so)

2. Articulated bus (which MARTA is definitely planning)

3. Better visibility (representation on the main rail map, named stops, automated voice, etc)

I really want to see these 'Arterial Rapid Transit' lines especially do points 1 and 3, or else I feel like it won't be much different than what exists, they won't get much new ridership, and so it's kind of a waste.

Transit signal priority and dedicated bus lanes I suppose would be nice, but it's less important IMO than these points.

Also agree with what he says at the bottom: WIFI on buses is kind of missing the point. It's supposed to be 'rapid' transit. You don't have WIFI in your car... so why have it on a bus, which is supposed to quickly get you from point A to point B.

But... I guess it's a good feature. It's just sort of emphasizing that the bus is slow, which it should not have to be.

Old 01-14-2016, 02:46 PM

Other roads not on the list that need ART:
Moreland Ave, Inman Park Station South
Ponce De Leon Ave, North Ave to Decatur
Memorial Dr, King Memorial to Kensignton
Buford Hwy, Lindbergh to Doravllie
Northside Dr, Vine City to Arts Center via Atlantic Station

Old 01-14-2016, 02:47 PM

32,008 posts, read 36,668,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
Thanks for the share, interesting perspective. Also one of the comment pretty much sums it up:
You are welcome.

There's no doubt there is an element of "us vs. them" mentality in cities with more racially diverse populations.

However, I also wonder if another factor is that cities like Portland pull in a lot of white folks who are into the transit/biking/new urbanism thing. Maybe it is stereotyping too much but the author may have a point about Portland having a relatively homogenous population.

Old 01-14-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Just found this article about the 'quality bus'. I agree with all this, and it's the same key points we've been making.
Urban kchoze: The quality bus

1. Fewer stops (every 1/4 mile or so)

2. Articulated bus (which MARTA is definitely planning)

3. Better visibility (representation on the main rail map, named stops, automated voice, etc)

I really want to see these 'Arterial Rapid Transit' lines especially do points 1 and 3, or else I feel like it won't be much different than what exists, they won't get much new ridership, and so it's kind of a waste.

Transit signal priority and dedicated bus lanes I suppose would be nice, but it's less important IMO than these points.

Also agree with what he says at the bottom: WIFI on buses is kind of missing the point. It's supposed to be 'rapid' transit. You don't have WIFI in your car... so why have it on a bus, which is supposed to quickly get you from point A to point B.

But... I guess it's a good feature. It's just sort of emphasizing that the bus is slow, which it should not have to be.
Signal Priority is a huge positive and the technology does not cost a lot of money, especially since Atlanta is upgrading most of it's signals. They could be Priority Signal ready and just need a software update.
Also, WiFi on buses is a way to attract people to buses by allowing them to work while riding, something they cannot do while driving alone.

Old 01-14-2016, 02:50 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,679,395 times
Quote:
What they should do is have the SR 140 and SR 141 bus routes drive through Gwinnett to Doraville station, without stopping. I would think that should be allowed.

That would not only be better for those routes, but it would get the Peachtree Corners residents talking about MARTA and wanting the bus routes to stop in their communities.

It would just overall highlight the ridiculousness of not having one unified transit system.
GRTA runs buses from Johns Creek to Doraville Station. The 408.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta