Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 06:43 AM

401 posts, read 1,733,159 times

Advertisements

I read recently (I can't recall where - it was a magazine) that large U.S. cities are moving toward the model that you see in much of Europe. The wealthier folks in many European cities live in town while the suburbs (particularly the inner suburbs) are full of poor and lower middle class folks. I definitely see that trend here in Atlanta. It is only starting here, but I definitely see the shift. It will be interesting to see what ATL looks like in 20 years.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:33 AM
kwr

254 posts, read 493,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastATLGuy View Post
That's what i'm hearing people call areas such as Stone Mountain, Clarkston, Lithonia, Decatur(Outside The Perimeter), Ellenwood etc.or areas outside the perimeter. I didn't think that it could be possible, because suburbs are suppose to be nice and safe areas. I don't know what happened. Any comments?

I wouldn't call the areas you mentioned "ghetto suburbs." In any given city in the US, there will always be some suburbs that are nicer than others. There are low, middle and high income suburbs. Sometime I think people expect all suburbs to be nice and that is not the case.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:39 AM
kwr

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy1980 View Post
I heard that lithonia was filled with wealthy blacks who are very boughie so how is it ghetto?
"I heard....boughie...." Posting on a mesage board about what you heard is so ignorant...go and see for yourself and then post your thoughts. I'm more interested in what you saw / experienced.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:41 AM

612 posts, read 2,778,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwr View Post
"I heard....boughie...." Posting on a mesage board about what you heard is so ignorant...go and see for yourself and then post your thoughts. I'm more interested in what you saw / experienced.
I had to google that word, had never heard it before.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:46 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayRockTeam View Post
Ah, the hysteria of stereotypes. If you really want to know about Stone Mountain, your best bet is to just go there. I'm sure you'll find that it isn't a "suburban ghetto"... lol... you are on City-Data for the love of pete. Just check the demographics.

Well, of course realtors want to sell homes in EVERY neighborhood, and I know only a few who will openly tell someone, "Um no, you really don't want to live THERE", and that's if they know the people. Realtors walk that tight line of law and correctness when it comes to saying "no" at any time regarding pretty much any neighborhood. No offense.

There are plenty of neighborhoods in Stone Mountain that LOOK nice when you're driving down the street. That doesn't mean there isn't a crime problem. "Ghetto" doesn't mean that everything looks run down such as a stereotyped image of a ghetto in NYC - it means there are problems in that neighborhood whether they are visible or not. Even here in Powder Springs, our worst neighborhood looks pretty decent from the outside when you're just driving around looking at the homes from your car.

And I know people who live in, and have moved from, Stone Mountain. I'll definately take their word for it regarding the problems over there now.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:06 AM

340 posts, read 1,577,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmtiger View Post
I read recently (I can't recall where - it was a magazine) that large U.S. cities are moving toward the model that you see in much of Europe. The wealthier folks in many European cities live in town while the suburbs (particularly the inner suburbs) are full of poor and lower middle class folks. I definitely see that trend here in Atlanta. It is only starting here, but I definitely see the shift. It will be interesting to see what ATL looks like in 20 years.
I agree with you. Actually it's been the same situation here in US. Manhattan is always expensive where only rich or super rich people can afford. There is no way that convenience and culture concentration of city is not for rich people. To me, suburbs are always for less affluent people where there isn't much in style or convenience. You kinda live in a home where you eat and sleep. Your vision is kinda limited. Of course there are bad areas in cities, but people can clean them up and turn them into a nice area.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:10 AM

340 posts, read 1,577,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Well, of course realtors want to sell homes in EVERY neighborhood, and I know only a few who will openly tell someone, "Um no, you really don't want to live THERE", and that's if they know the people. Realtors walk that tight line of law and correctness when it comes to saying "no" at any time regarding pretty much any neighborhood. No offense.
Don't think realtors are smarter than you as a buyer. A lot of times it's just opinion which could be biased. You need to do some reserch and find what's good for you. You need to have your own confidence regardless what realtors say about it. It's your life after all.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:19 AM
kwr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityFan View Post
I agree with you. Actually it's been the same situation here in US. Manhattan is always expensive where only rich or super rich people can afford. There is no way that convenience and culture concentration of city is not for rich people. To me, suburbs are always for less affluent people where there isn't much in style or convenience. You kinda live in a home where you eat and sleep. Your vision is kinda limited. Of course there are bad areas in cities, but people can clean them up and turn them into a nice area.

Certainly you miss the point why people move to the suburbs. Affluence is not restricted to the suburbs or the city. Moving to the suburbs is purely a lifestyle decision -- some people want a yard and for the most part better schools. In cities, you can not get a yard. I would not raise my kids in a city. If I didn't have kids, I would probably live in the city.

Manhattan is an anomaly. Most "higher-end" suburbs typically have higher median incomes than cities.

Although not directly related to this topic, here is a link to an interesting story:

America's Richest Counties - Forbes.com

Old 01-24-2008, 09:33 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,320,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwr View Post
In cities, you can not get a yard. I would not raise my kids in a city. If I didn't have kids, I would probably live in the city.
Here's a great article about raising kids in an urban environment. The article is by a writer for the Dallas Observer who is raising his kid in an Intown Dallas neighborhood that's probably the equivalent of Kirkwood, Lake Claire, or East Lake here in Atlanta.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:17 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy1980 View Post
I heard that lithonia was filled with wealthy blacks who are very boughie so how is it ghetto?
What's boughie? Covered with boughs as in trees??

A play on bourgeois?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta